You need 0 haste to keep up Shuffle 100%. It just depends on how often you use guard and purify.

Haste acts more like a comfort thing than a super mandatory stat outside of heavy hitting situations where you want more to allow more generous use of purifying brew. Keep in mind more mastery means larger staggers which may cause you to favor using purifying brew more often which means more haste makes you feel more comfortable. This is why there's no "cap" on how much haste you should have and its generally a comfort thing.
    Every time you say "Brewmasters need to stay at 40-60% to be optimal" your favorite deity kills 10 kittens. Here is how it actually works from the Sparkle Dragon's mouth
    Play Monster Hunter? Here's my FC: 1779-0791-2717

Thanks Shyama for the awesome Signature

i just saw the finalboss.tv episode with daught and luun. maybe you all want to watch it
    http://finalboss.tv/video/2013/11/25...rewmaster-monk

it's a very good show i have to say. and at the end, you have to gem what fits best for your raidcomp. maybe if your are dying because your healers are shit or you cannot play right, then maybe go with more mastery? well i saw monks with pure stam gems, because their healers couldn't keep them alive (due to bad monkplay or healplay)
    13/13

Monk

I'm just going to quote myself on a much larger post I made about haste/crit.

Chi Wave, Expel Harm, T16 4p, all of these can crit. When the shit hits the fan and Desperate Measures starts letting you spam Expel Harm like crazy, a 1% better chance for that heal to be a crit is worth infinitely more than enough energy to use it once more per minute. EB may be somewhat worthless since we get so much from base Agility and haste may do more DPS than crit, but at the end of the day the tank’s job is to stay alive, and Crit does that job better than Haste because the best panic button in BrM’s toolkit can crit.

Once you hit the mastery rating that tickles your fancy (depends on you, the healers in your group, and the content you're tackling) your best bet is certainly crit. I'm actually rather excited for the WoD stats and how everything sorta plays with eachother so far as stats are for brewmasters. Back on topic, haste is a comfort stat.
    Every time you say "Brewmasters need to stay at 40-60% to be optimal" your favorite deity kills 10 kittens. Here is how it actually works from the Sparkle Dragon's mouth

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Totaltotemic View Post
    When the shit hits the fan and Desperate Measures starts letting you spam Expel Harm like crazy
    Always got a good laugh on Malkorok when I would get smacked down to < 35% life and get stuck there, replace Jab with Expel Harm in your rotation for the rest of the phase haha.

The amount of haste needed to generate energy fast enough to spam Expel Harm is very high and not worth it just need to get in the habit of pooling energy without capping. I would say anywhere between 4500-7k is enough haste and really up to the individual player. I think gear forces us above the 4500 mark now days anyways once you start getting heroic stuff.
    [/URL]
    The four elements, like man alone, are weak. But together they form the strong fifth element: Boron.

Quote Originally Posted by SurrealNight View Post

I would say anywhere between 4500-7k is enough haste and really up to the individual player.
    Gonna be completly honest. i dont even feel any difference of having 4k or 7k. obviously i gain a few more chi per fight but i just don't feel the difference. barerly even feel any different on 5k and when roro is up (aka 0).
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulfric Trumpcloak View Post
    People on this site hate everything. Keep that in mind.

10+ Year Old Account
    That is because it takes ~2500 haste to generate +1 Chi/min. So even adding 5k haste is going to give you 1 chi every 30 seconds which I don't see the average person even noticing/feeling in their rotation.

I think what people get focused on is the initial pulls where you have to make harder choices on using Guard or PB while your still building up your shuffle buffer, that part "feels" rough and then after that initial 1/3 of the fight is past you'll barely think about chi/energy again. Makes fights where you pop hero on pull so enjoyable cause you have Chi coming out your ears from the first Keg Smash.
    [/URL]
    The four elements, like man alone, are weak. But together they form the strong fifth element: Boron.

That is because it takes ~2500 haste to generate +1 Chi/min. So even adding 5k haste is going to give you 1 chi every 30 seconds which I don't see the average person even noticing/feeling in their rotation.

I think what people get focused on is the initial pulls where you have to make harder choices on using Guard or PB while your still building up your shuffle buffer, that part "feels" rough and then after that initial 1/3 of the fight is past you'll barely think about chi/energy again. Makes fights where you pop hero on pull so enjoyable cause you have Chi coming out your ears from the first Keg Smash.
    On the flip side, 5k haste is still only 8.33% crit and if you wouldn't notice the difference between like 42% and 50% crit except in damage. When it comes down to it, if you're at an ilvl where you have 30k+ secondary stats, where you put a couple thousand really stops mattering that much.

Deleted
    Which is exactly why I love PS. prebank 4 chi prepull with expel harm and 4 chis with first 2 gcds. Because my struggling is exactly on the early onset of the fight building shuffle to be able to PB/guard without drawback.
    With Ascension I struggle during that part on garrosh especially because I try to hard to purify I guess. I'll give it a try without PB every melee hit and see about every 2-3 melees.

Thanks for the input everyone

Quote Originally Posted by metasaigneur View Post
    Which is exactly why I love PS. prebank 4 chi prepull with expel harm and 4 chis with first 2 gcds. Because my struggling is exactly on the early onset of the fight building shuffle to be able to PB/guard without drawback.
    With Ascension I struggle during that part on garrosh especially because I try to hard to purify I guess. I'll give it a try without PB every melee hit and see about every 2-3 melees.

Thanks for the input everyone
    That still makes the Chi Brew a stronger option than Power strikes. Not only can you get those extra two Chi on pull with an on-demand 2 Chi later but you get 5 EB stacks right along with them.

Allrighty. first hc run with monk instead of my dk. went ok. Jugger bombs were a bit pain in the ass but managed to solve it in the end. if someone could browse through logs quickly and give a second opinion would be lovely.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/gdda22kp17su4f8u/

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    That still makes the Chi Brew a stronger option than Power strikes. Not only can you get those extra two Chi on pull with an on-demand 2 Chi later but you get 5 EB stacks right along with them.
    Yes, I agree. I was just lazy to properly track the charges to optimize the "extra" ressources. I definitely will try out both Ascension and chi brew, just have to get out of my comfort zone and practice in flex

Quote Originally Posted by kittycovox View Post
    Allrighty. first hc run with monk instead of my dk. went ok. Jugger bombs were a bit pain in the ass but managed to solve it in the end. if someone could browse through logs quickly and give a second opinion would be lovely.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/gdda22kp17su4f8u/
    Your Shuffle is fine for the most part (most of those are gimmicky fights like Immerseus or Norushen where you couldn't even have it up 100% if you tried) and you're using Elusive Brew a lot like you should be. However, your damage is quite low (which is pretty important in 10 man) and you seem to go into Heavy Stagger (red stagger) and leave it unpurified for several seconds sometimes. I think both of those are just a symptom of using RoRo which I think is wholly unnecessary and too RNG to be reliable for proccing Mastery (since on any given fight you're not even actually tanking half the time). I think if you replaced it with a Haromm's Talisman (multistrike trinket) or a Bad Juju or Renataki's Soul Charm you'd see your DPS go up about 10% (because the trinkets provide more DPS and RoRo actually takes away some of your DPS when it procs) and your tankiness would remain unchanged.

Thanks for the input. yeah my damage is rather low at the cost of jumping from t14 normals> t16hc. so was a big gap in my raiding on my monk. so atm im going bit more mastery haste to get the feeling of monk again so to speak. also most of the guildies is 574+ so hitting enrages isnt an issue while going on farm bosses with monk.

Just feel a bit more safe to go masteryish atm since i cba risking wipe due to me dying from random shit when we're clearing farmbosses.

regarding stagger ive always learned that if shuffle is about to expire and you need to BoK that goes higher in priority than PB so hence me sitting on red a while sometimes.

trinkets: i got haromm, renataki BUT with RoRo i can swap out 1 item and go from full mastery proc to critt if i feel its being in safe content.-

red stagger is fine. track the actual dot tick dmg and purify at 120k dmg ticks. if you go heavy on mastery, or lets say 16k mastery raidbuffed you cannot purify every red stagger whatsoever.
    13/13

Monk

When you purify is going to completely depend on what you're doing and what imminent danger you're in. In my full tanky set I'm sitting at a cool 1 mill health and I won't purify unless my stagger hits about 1.5 - 1.8 mill. That said I've let my stagger go up to about 3mill+ if necessary. This is an exception though since its when I'm doing Malkorok blood rages or solo tanking Heroic Thok (he actually hits hard starting about stack 6 of panic).

You want to judge the situation though and how much spare shuffle you have. I mean, if you can mitigate a little extra damage and it isn't hurting anything, by all means do it. You just want to balance the damage you are taking vs your stagger ticks. If you're ticking for 100k staggers but not really getting wailed on, no real reason to purify unless you're expecting a spike.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Leblue View Post
    If you're ticking for 100k staggers but not really getting wailed on, no real reason to purify unless you're expecting a spike.
    This also depends on the size of the spike you are expecting, and the nature of it. The questions are:

1.) Is your HP bar full?
    - If no: Do you need it to be full?
    - If ^ yes: Clear it, especially if you have t16 4p on. If no, let it tick.

2.) Will the spike be able to kill you if your current Stagger ticks in?
    - If yes: Clear it. If no, let it tick and clear it after the spike to save Chi and do some healing w/ 4p.

3.) Is the spike Staggerable?
    - If yes and it won't kill you, clear after spike to save Chi and selfheal.

Edit: Obviously this isn't that easy, there can be a lot of factors that makes you change your mind, but still, this is the 'baseline' I follow.
    Last edited by mmocaa2bd0c2d5; 2013-12-20 at 11:59 AM.

Deleted
    WoW those advanced tips on prufiying stagger are priceless!

Small question : I track my stagger with TMW and display the amount of damage, but I'm not sure if the number displayed is the tick per tick damage, or the full amount that I'd have to divide by 10 ?

Deleted
    As far as I know TMW shows the total amount of damage being Staggered. I personally a modified version of Sunnier's Stagger aura, which shows both the amount of total damage being Staggered in % ratio and the exact amount of the DOT. If you want the string, throw me a PM!