Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    She Bloodbend him to check...
    Katara can only bloodbend during a full moon.

She...gave Pema something spicy to eat and then waterbender the sweat coming out of the baby like she did in that episode where she was in jail against Sparky Sparky Boom Man.

Deleted
    Really dissapointed though that Sokka never got married and had a kid. (or so we know)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Majad View Post
    Katara can only bloodbend during a full moon.
    That was when she was young. We're talking about basically the strongest "natural" water-bender to ever live, and a really hard/determined learner to boot.

Anyway I highly doubt this has anything to do with bloodbending - Katara is a healing-type waterbender, which means she can sense blood flow, chi flow/movement, status of organs/nerves/arteries, etc just by sensing the water inside them. You need to be able to do that in order to heal.

Once equipped with enough knowledge of the human biology and how to sense chi (and water) located all over the body, there's really nothing stopping Katara from being able to "scan" a body merely by touching them. I'd say a healer would definitely need to know how to do that on the battlefield, especially if the injury is internal.

By such an old age Katara could easily have mastered all that and could easily differentiate a bender from a non-bender simply by sensing their chi flow, in a bender it's bound to be VASTLY stronger and/or different from a non-bender. Or in Pema's case, sensing the chi-flow of the unborn baby by simply placing her hand on Pema's belly.

I really didn't think it was all that mysterious for Katara to be able to tell the baby was a bender, it sounds like something any master waterbender would be able to do (especially a healer) :P

Think DragonBall Z, the Z warriors could sense chi from quite a distance and even the nature/intent of the chi-user hehe.
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2013-05-29 at 02:05 AM.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    That was when she was young. We're talking about basically the strongest "natural" water-bender to ever live, and a really hard/determined learner to boot.
    Are you sure?

I remember an episode about it being explained that only Tarvack and his family could do it without a full moon, the rest of the waterbenders couldn't, so I'm going to assume neither can Katara, even at that age, unless it's on a full moon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Majad View Post
    Are you sure?

I remember an episode about it being explained that only Tarvack and his family could do it without a full moon, the rest of the waterbenders couldn't, so I'm going to assume neither can Katara, even at that age, unless it's on a full moon.
    See edit :P

Also I reckon we're beyond spoiler tags, anyone still in this thread should've long-finished watching the show : /

Deleted
    Is Tarvack the father? Otherwise I think he was named Tarlok.

Deleted
    See edit :P
    I saw the edit, I was just expanding on whether Katara would be able to bloodbend on a full moon or not due to her age and skill.
    Also I reckon we're beyond spoiler tags, anyone still in this thread should've long-finished watching the show : /
    We should always use spoiler tags regardless of that. We don't want to spoil things for the people that wonder in on the thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bananarepublic View Post
    Is Tarvack the father? Otherwise I think he was named Tarlok.
    Yeah, I meant Tarlok, not Tarvack since he lost his bending but you know what I meant!

Uhhhh. Katarra is like really above average but I wouldn't call her god-tier Xuvial. I'd take Pakku over her any day. Besides healing... But in a real fight? Pakku.

They didn't show a lot of good benders in the series besides the really pro ones. Katarra only got elevated to be in that tier for some reason even though she doesn't belong. Zuko is Fire Nation royalty with a grandpa who was the avatar. Toph learned Earthbending from masters which got super enhanced by her personalities and her being blind. Aang is the Avatar Airbender...Katarra is...a water tribe peasant lol.

---------- Post added 2013-05-28 at 10:35 PM ----------

Forgot Toph is from rich ass Bei Fong family.

Everyone except Katarra was super pro status lol.

Deleted
    I don't think Katarra is just any peasant. She showed a lot of skill when she started training with Pakku. She is in no way just an average water bender in terms of fighting.

No idea who is the strongest between Pakku and Katara on their peeks but Katara isn't just some average water bender, she's really a master just like Aang, who managed to be a master at the age of twelve or whatever age he was in at the time before he escaped.

Aang was the avatar and learned Airbending like 80 million times in the past. Honestly they kind of downplayed "mastering" elements. Roku was like 50 by the time he was done training and he did each element individually. Aang spent like a year getting a strong grasp on 3 elements having already mastered air. Korra knew 3 elements from like age 3...........

So ya I'm not too concerned with natural talent or mastering an element at a certain age. That was just plain unrealistic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Uhhhh. Katarra is like really above average but I wouldn't call her god-tier Xuvial. I'd take Pakku over her any day. Besides healing... But in a real fight? Pakku.

They didn't show a lot of good benders in the series besides the really pro ones. Katarra only got elevated to be in that tier for some reason even though she doesn't belong. Zuko is Fire Nation royalty with a grandpa who was the avatar. Toph learned Earthbending from masters which got super enhanced by her personalities and her being blind. Aang is the Avatar Airbender...Katarra is...a water tribe peasant lol.

Errr I was referring to Katara being god-tier when she was OLD i.e. in LoK. Pakku is long dead lol, so is Toph and Zuko.

Any bender who hangs around with Team Avatar and has fairly solid talent on their own (plus the will to learn) = they WILL reach god tier by the time they reach an old age. To compensate for their lack of agility/reactions, old people (in fiction anyway) tend to increase their expertise in other things, the more mental and subtle aspects.

Plus Katara has had THREE children!
    It should be beyond a doubt that a master waterbender (healing-type too!) who has had 3 children is going to freaking know when a baby will be a bender or not XD
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2013-05-29 at 02:54 AM.

Deleted
    Plus Katara has had FOUR children!
    It should be beyond a doubt that a master waterbender (healing-type too!) who has had 4 children is going to freaking know when a baby will be a bender or not XD
    Yeah, Katara has some experience on it for sure....

Eh, I really don't think status has anything to do with it. It was obvious that the royal family of the fire nation was powerful. They wouldn't allow a weak bender be their Fire Lord, so his bending children would obviously be powerful as well.

Katarra didn't have any close relatives who were benders, as her parents and grandparents apparently weren't (perhaps her grandfather was, but we never see him). And if you want to get technical, Katara's family did seem to be the ones leading the tribe. You could say they she was the "princess" of the South Pole. Sokka even mentions it to Yue that he's a prince. Sure, he's most likly joking, but there could be some truth to it.

I just think it's more telling of Katarra to be able to be as capable as she is, being self-taught until she met Paku and even impressing him. Then she goes on to be one of the most powerful benders in the world.
    I AM the world's first Shadow Mage.

10+ Year Old Account
    edit: Whoops, make that 3 children. Pema isn't Katara's daughter >_<

Deleted
    I wonder who Toph make Lin with btw, who is the father?

Quote Originally Posted by Bananarepublic View Post
    I wonder who Toph make Lin with btw, who is the father?
    Once saw someone claim it was the Boulder. Nearly died from the amount of painful cringing I did.

I say the father's Aang though. It's obvious when you look at it.

Lin is a badass, daughter of the goddamn Avatar!

Toph always had that little Twinkle Toes petname for him whenever they talked. Hell, I'm pretty sure they've blushed around each other once or twice in their episodes together.

Toph is clearly the dominating type, while it's obvious that Aang is just a lowly sub.

Why else would Lin hate Korra? She's a reminder that her dad is dead and they need to keep it a secret, you can't have the world know that the boy who brought peace to everything is a louzy cheat.

That's why Tenzin broke up with her, he realized they were related.

I mean, come on people! Just look back to Korra's flashback. You can just SMELL the sexual tension between them when they were about to nab Yakkon. As they grew older, they broke of their "meetings" behind Katarra's back. Their need for each other only built up as a result. Which led to Toph one day bursting into the Avatar's home while Katara was out buy hair loopy gel, forced herself on him and nine months later... Lin is born!!! Katara would never find out where the hole in their living room floor came from, looking as though it had been pounded into the ground, or why Aang had pelvis problems for weeks...

You know... that's my theory...
    I AM the world's first Shadow Mage.

10+ Year Old Account
    yeah, katara is a waterbending prodigy, she was official regarded as a master by pakku within a few weeks of her training with him. the only reason she wasn't up to prodigal levels before then was that she had absolutely no previous training, she didn't know what to do with her skill.
    Quote Originally Posted by ohshift View Post
    Mess with someone's head enough, you can turn a scared little kid into an all powerful bitch.
    only two things are infinite the universe, and human stupidity,
    and i'm not too sure about the universe -Albert Einstein

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zonas View Post
    Once saw someone claim it was the Boulder. Nearly died from the amount of painful cringing I did.

I say the father's Aang though. It's obvious when you look at it.

Lin is a badass, daughter of the goddamn Avatar!

Toph always had that little Twinkle Toes petname for him whenever they talked. Hell, I'm pretty sure they've blushed around each other once or twice in their episodes together.

Toph is clearly the dominating type, while it's obvious that Aang is just a lowly sub.

Why else would Lin hate Korra? She's a reminder that her dad is dead and they need to keep it a secret, you can't have the world know that the boy who brought peace to everything is a louzy cheat.

That's why Tenzin broke up with her, he realized they were related.

I mean, come on people! Just look back to Korra's flashback. You can just SMELL the sexual tension between them when they were about to nab Yakkon. As they grew older, they broke of their "meetings" behind Katarra's back. Their need for each other only built up as a result. Which led to Toph one day bursting into the Avatar's home while Katara was out buy hair loopy gel, forced herself on him and nine months later... Lin is born!!! Katara would never find out where the hole in their living room floor came from, looking as though it had been pounded into the ground, or why Aang had pelvis problems for weeks...

You know... that's my theory...
    Eh....I don't think....what.

I don't think "Master" is even that big of a deal. That just means you have an idea of how to bend your element in different ways. Like water benders can make some ice and make the water flow in a particular way. Or earth benders can...do stuff...and then it's a matter of building up different techniques and stuff. I don't think there's that much too it.

And Katarra wasn't like Jesus Christ waterbender at the end of the North Pole, she still needed scrolls to study from after to learn those techniques.

But while I think she's accumulated a lot of techniques and she's a master, I just can't put her on the same level as Iroh or Azula or Toph or Amon. Sorry.

Zonas I was the one who said The Boulder. It's a little useless speculating since season 2 of Korra will tell us and we already discussed this.