Would someone mind picking up that phone? Because I called it! Then again, it's about as subtle as Bolin's attempts to be the comic relief, so...

Also, Northern Water Tribe, able to withstand a hundred years of war for literally being a fortress of a city, is threatened by a group of non-descript "barbarians". I guess that's plot hole number one for this Book?
    I AM the world's first Shadow Mage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drikkink View Post
    K, so the good: Mako isn't completely plain anymore. The Mako/Korra relationship isn't as grinding as before. Some of the new characters are genuinely interesting (the twins, the uncle, kya) and I am really curious to see where this goes. I'm also very happy they're making use of Jinora somehow. She is the best of the airbender kids.

Now, the bad: WELP Asami is still just there. Bolin has been relegated to PURE comic relief now. Korra seems to have regressed in maturity. Tonraq's voice actor is kinda bad. The show overall seems more comedy focused now than drama with a touch of comedy. It felt like it tried too hard to be funny at times.
    To be fair, it's okay to have Bolin the way he is. Korra though, watching that second episode just pissed me off. She doesn't even consider or show signs of consideration into a decision, it's like she's the same person even after becoming a fully realized Avatar. You're right, maturity level just dropped even more, it's painful to watch.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zonas View Post
    Would someone mind picking up that phone? Because I called it! Then again, it's about as subtle as Bolin's attempts to be the comic relief, so...

Also, Northern Water Tribe, able to withstand a hundred years of war for literally being a fortress of a city, is threatened by a group of non-descript "barbarians". I guess that's plot hole number one for this Book?
    Could have been ambush, they didn't seem like they were doing to much damage to the city.
    Hey everyone

is Avatar really considered an Anime? wouldn't it just fall under the cartoon category?

I enjoyed it. But the new animation takes a bit of getting used to. All the characters look a tad bit different, you can certainly tell a different animation studio did this season. Story is still great though :P

Seriously, the story was nice, predictability aside, but Korra isn't a good character and they're ruining Bolin.

Quote Originally Posted by Aang View Post
    To be fair, it's okay to have Bolin the way he is. Korra though, watching that second episode just pissed me off. She doesn't even consider or show signs of consideration into a decision, it's like she's the same person even after becoming a fully realized Avatar. You're right, maturity level just dropped even more, it's painful to watch.

- - - Updated - - -

Could have been ambush, they didn't seem like they were doing to much damage to the city.
    I guess... but considering the scope of the city, I'm not sure how an Ambush would work... Again, I suppose it's the whole, few years of peace has made you weaker than a hundred years of constant war but...

And God yes, Korra is God awful already... I can only pray that they have SOME development with her as the Book goes on but... Just ugh... This is our hero folks, a bitchy little angsty teenager who's all the bad that Zuko had with none of the amazingly good to overwhelm it...

I'm not sure how much of a good thing or a bad thing it is that I'm more interested in the adults who only get a few moments in the spotlight, over the teenager main characters... It was the same with the first Book, I wanted to see more of Tenzin Lin and Amon... Again, I can only hope it gets better, but considering the poor start... it may be wishful thinking.

I guess... but considering the scope of the city, I'm not sure how an Ambush would work... Again, I suppose it's the whole, few years of peace has made you weaker than a hundred years of constant war but...

And God yes, Korra is God awful already... I can only pray that they have SOME development with her as the Book goes on but... Just ugh... This is our hero folks, a bitchy little angsty teenager who's all the bad that Zuko had with none of the amazingly good to overwhelm it...

I'm not sure how much of a good thing or a bad thing it is that I'm more interested in the adults who only get a few moments in the spotlight, over the teenager main characters... It was the same with the first Book, I wanted to see more of Tenzin Lin and Amon... Again, I can only hope it gets better, but considering the poor start... it may be wishful thinking.
    I wanted more Asami more than anything in book 1. She became a wasted character after her "I'll never join you!" moment. So far, more Jinora is perfectly fine and a welcome distraction.

Unalaq is too obvious of a villain imo. He's taken the throne of the north Ozai style and miraculously all these spirit attacks start happening when the one guy that can "control" spirits shows up looking for more power

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh god are you people talking about the first episode of the new season already? Crap crap crap I had completely forgotten about that, guess I know what I'm watching as soon as I get home tonight

Quote Originally Posted by wowaccounttom View Post
    is Avatar really considered an Anime? wouldn't it just fall under the cartoon category?
    It was labeled Anime in the title for convenience, there is no "cartoon" category because when it comes to US/western animated productions Avatar TLA & LOK are pretty much the only serious ones worth making a thread about. So it was simply filed with all the other 2D animated productions under Anime.

As for whether it's really an Anime or not, that's completely up to personal opinion. I only consider shows that have their initial voice acting done in Japanese as "Anime", and everything else as "Cartoon". Art style doesn't matter, geographic location of it's production studio doesn't matter, ethnicity of the producers doesn't matter. Comes down to which language the initial/first voice acting was done in....which would make Avatar a "cartoon" for me and not an Anime.
    But all that is utterly inconsequential and shouldn't really matter to anyone
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

That was a quick new favorite character.

Quote Originally Posted by Dybia View Post

That was a quick new favorite character.
    I know that made me laugh.

I was really hoping Bolin would end up dating Asami though. Maybe a cat fight in the future.

10+ Year Old Account
    who was the last person we heard talking about "unifying" two different cultures? yep, sozin. this guy is totally the new sozin, he thinks he's doing something noble but he's doing it all wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by ohshift View Post
    Mess with someone's head enough, you can turn a scared little kid into an all powerful bitch.
    only two things are infinite the universe, and human stupidity,
    and i'm not too sure about the universe -Albert Einstein

Not as good as I was hoping for, or maybe watching MLP just raised my bar to high, at least from an animator's point of view. I do like the idea of them explaining the very first Avatar though.

10+ Year Old Account
    That was slightly disappointing of a watch. But, I will give the season a full watch before casting a final review on it. Only fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Chozo View Post
    Humans Paladins don't have "a lot of lore" behind them.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll give the two episodes the benefit of the doubt because it is after all, the first two episodes. What I didn't like was that Korra still felt the same, it just shouldn't be that way, part of being the Avatar is maturing... She hasn't matured at all since the first episode of Book One... But I'll still give her the benefit of the doubt.
    Hey everyone

I'll give the two episodes the benefit of the doubt because it is after all, the first two episodes. What I didn't like was that Korra still felt the same, it just shouldn't be that way, part of being the Avatar is maturing... She hasn't matured at all since the first episode of Book One... But I'll still give her the benefit of the doubt.
    Oh, no. She went through multiple examples of maturing in the first season. But then she forgot them the next week. Her character developed slightly within episodes, but they hit the reset button every episode it seemed like.

15+ Year Old Account
    I actualy liked both episodes more then most of the episodes of season 1.
    - Vanilla was legitimately bad; we just didn't know any better at the time - SirCowDog

Personally, I'm assuming her attitude is meant to be taken as an opposite to the first Avatar, especially since he looks like he's the same age as her. He'll more than likely be very humble about who he is and the like, humble enough to put Aang to shame.

It'll counter Korra's own, stubbornness/IknowwhatI'mdoingdespitethefacteverythingIdopointstothecontrary-ness... Now, this would work, only if the first Book never happened. Did she learn nothing? Though... to the writers' credit, Korra did technically learn nothing... her victory was handed to her on a blue-glowing platter. Though, considering it's not pointed out in the actual story, I'm sure that's just a coincidence and I'm giving them too much credit.

Just, as it stands, I don't give two damns about anyone but the adults. Even the two... twins who are probably the children of an Old One... seem to only exist to add to Bolin's comedic value-ness. Sure, they'll likely do something more through the Book, but at the moment, their introduction to the story is awful, much like Asami's own considering she's done jack all as well.

The biggest question I'm asking myself is this, is it because the Team is just a bunch of teenagers? Hell, I rarely see teenager main characters ever written decently, even then, it's nothing extraordinary. Here, it just seems like the same clichés I've seen over and over again. Aang and the gang were done fantastically. They were mature and immature at the right times, given their characters and they developed fantastically. Here... it just seems like a thrill-ride in Teen Angst version 1005.3.

Hell, just the line about how Korra's bitching about not getting any respect despite beating Amon infuriates me more than anything... She was literally getting her ass kicked EVERYTIME she met the guy. It was only because of blatant deus ex machina that she managed to "win" and even then, he only lost in the court of public opinion. There was nothing stopping him from walking back up to the building and smashing her face into the floor. (except maybe censors...)

Again, while I'm sure she's going to get better as the Book goes on, it really does spit in the face of the character development that happened as well as carried over to each of the books in AtLA. Also, I really do hope the writing gets more subtle than what we've seen... Seriously, they might as well of had a flashlight pointed underneath her Uncle's chin the whole time, or maybe a crackle of lightning every time he talked.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hell, just the line about how Korra's bitching about not getting any respect despite beating Amon infuriates me more than anything... She was literally getting her ass kicked EVERYTIME she met the guy. It was only because of blatant deus ex machina that she managed to "win" and even then, he only lost in the court of public opinion. There was nothing stopping him from walking back up to the building and smashing her face into the floor. (except maybe censors...)
    Korra wanted respect for "beating" Amon lol? Wow.

If anyone deserves any respect it's Aang's spirit, who was clearly fed up of everyone failing so hard and fixed literally EVERYTHING in 5 minutes. Easily the hero of the entire season.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    Korra wanted respect for "beating" Amon lol? Wow.

If anyone deserves any respect it's Aang's spirit, who was clearly fed up of everyone failing so hard and fixed literally EVERYTHING in 5 minutes. Easily the hero of the entire season.
    I'll argue Tarrlok was the hero in the end. Aang didn't actually help the problem, but more fix what was left.

As incredible as the characters were in A:TLA with less story focus, the story in Korra is a better story, but I can't enjoy many of these characters. Asami is my favorite and she seems to be pushed to the side (AGAIN. Seriously, they must have said "Alright, your story's over move along") and Bolin is a generally likable character because he's the only one that shows emotion other than stubbornness.