Wan only needed two episodes to instantly become the most likable character of the series.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Goge View Post
    Wan only needed two episodes to instantly become the most likable character of the series.

That right there

that's what got al my votes.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was also disappointed by the somewhat lore throwaway.

Sure they somewhat bandaid fixed it by showing Wan "training" with a dragon to improve his firebending, but it looked more like the dragon was just dancing with him. This means one of two things -- Spirits carried what they saw Wan do (not TLA), or Spirits taught Wan how to do it (TLA).

Also human's can only receive one gift from dragon turtles, perhaps something to do with the way their "energy" is attuned to the element. With the spirit world being closed off, dragon turtles promised never to give humans the gifts anymore. This means the gift is now transmitted "genetically" through heirs.

Now for the plotholes:

1. What's stopping someone born between two elements from using them both? Maybe perhaps like a "jack of all trade, master of none" style of being unable to fully utilize the power of an element?

2. Spirits that somehow remained in the human world (missing events, plausible due to nature of Avatar's existence) taught humans how to bend. But these spirits can also "bend" the element (again, missing events, but plausible due to dragon turtles). What's stopping these spirits from "gifting" cross-generation humans an element?

3. Avatar was gifted the ability to take and give "the gift" by a dragon turtle that remained in the human world. What's stopping the Avatar from giving people different elements and possibly creating more "Avatars". Sure they will lack Raava's connection to past lives and to the spirit world, but Unalaq can apparently go into the spirit world.

4. Unalaq can go into the spirit world without separating(?). Does this mean Unalaq could be attuned with Vaatu? Or they just throwing away more lore for convenience sake?

(I called Unalaq, Varrick, in my last post and I apologize for that.)
    Last edited by ImpTaimer; 2013-10-19 at 06:18 PM.
    There are no bathrooms, only Zuul.

he's just an all around better person than korra in every way. just like aang. kinda funny isn't? the two male avatars shown in depth, are portrayed as smarter, more logical, and quicker to learn than the one female that's the main character. seems fishy to me.

either the writers are just shit at handling female characters, or there's a tiny amount of sexism. not a lot, but some.

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    he's just an all around better person than korra in every way. just like aang. kinda funny isn't? the two male avatars shown in depth, are portrayed as smarter, more logical, and quicker to learn than the one female that's the main character. seems fishy to me.

either the writers are just shit at handling female characters, or there's a tiny amount of sexism. not a lot, but some.
    Personally, I prefer Korra in every single way over Aang. Never liked him, really.

Wan learning other elements felt too fast and there was no reason given.Do they give bending to everyone? I think they could have made an entire season out of wan's journey.
    Last edited by Maximus Testiculos; 2013-10-19 at 06:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ImpTaimer View Post
    I was also disappointed by the somewhat lore throwaway.

Sure they somewhat bandaid fixed it by showing Wan "training" with a dragon to improve his firebending, but it looked more like the dragon was just dancing with him. This means one of two things -- Spirits carried what they saw Wan do (not TLA), or Spirits taught Wan how to do it (TLA).

Also human's can only receive one gift from dragon turtles, perhaps something to do with the way their "energy" is attuned to the element. With the spirit world being closed off, dragon turtles promised never to give humans the gifts anymore. This means the gift is now transmitted "genetically" through heirs.

Now for the plotholes:

1. What's stopping someone born between two elements from using them both? Maybe perhaps like a "jack of all trade, master of none" style of being unable to fully utilize the power of an element?

2. Spirits that somehow remained in the human world (missing events, plausible due to nature of Avatar's existence) taught humans how to bend. But these spirits can also "bend" the element (again, missing events, but plausible due to dragon turtles). What's stopping these spirits from "gifting" cross-generation humans an element?

3. Avatar was gifted the ability to take and give "the gift" by a dragon turtle that remained in the human world. What's stopping the Avatar from giving people different elements and possibly creating more "Avatars". Sure they will lack Raava's connection to past lives and to the spirit world, but Unalaq can apparently go into the spirit world.

4. Unalaq can go into the spirit world without separating(?). Does this mean Unalaq could be attuned with Vaatu? Or they just throwing away more lore for convenience sake?

(I called Unalaq, Varrick, in my last post and I apologize for that.)
    I think the idea of people bending more than one is that they can't.

Rava had to "possess" Wan in order for him to use all four elements at once, and even then it was a major tole on their bodies. It was only after they "became one forever" that they were able to use all the elements without dieing. So any other human couldn't, unless there was an equally powerful spirit.

It still begs the question as to what the moon/dragons/moles/skybison have to do with all of it. Hopefully we'll see more depth later on.
    I AM the world's first Shadow Mage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zonas View Post
    I think the idea of people bending more than one is that they can't.

Rava had to "possess" Wan in order for him to use all four elements at once
    This was a stipulation put on Wan by the dragon turtles through doubt. It was already explained that if a spirit enters a human's body for too long it destroys them, not the act of several elements.

More plot holes honestly.

I actually didn't like Wan* too much. Sure he had a nice kind hearted nature but he seemed kind of like a simpleton. I mean, it's not like I instantly liked him over Korra. Korras character is okay. The legend of Korra TV Show is cliche and annoying about obvious relationship nuisances and really stupid situations.

- - - Updated - - -

This was a stipulation put on Wan by the dragon turtles through doubt. It was already explained that if a spirit enters a human's body for too long it destroys them, not the act of several elements.

No....Rava just had to hold the extra element powers for him and he could only use one at a time, without their fusion. I don't see the problem.

Although that scene where Rava goes from "fuck off weak human who fucked up years of my life's work" to "KK I'll help you we should team up" went by WAYYYYY too quickly for me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    only use one at a time, without their fusion. I don't see the problem.
    Again, a stipulation by the dragon turtles.

There was a lot of time-lapsing going on this episode that didn't go into detail about lore aspects that transpired on TLA.

I'm not saying I'm right, but there's not enough evidence to say otherwise except "stop overthinking it".

The reason he lived was when the southern portal exploded with energy during the final battle which fused His spirit with ravas. Rava is internally trapped within his reincarnations forever.
    Last edited by zito; 2013-10-19 at 07:45 PM.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    The reason he lived was when the southern portal exploded with energy during the final battle which fused His spirit with ravas. Rava is internally trapped within his reincarnations forever.
    I was talking about how combining spirits was the reason he would die, not the power of the elements.

But that does beg to question why Rava is trapped, even after Wan's death. Does that mean all the incarnations of the Avatar are related genetically? If not, what's stopping an animal from becoming the Avatar? And more importantly, what's stopping someone from destroying all the humans related to the first Avatar?

*EDIT* Why isn't Wan immortal, or like a phoenix?
    Last edited by ImpTaimer; 2013-10-19 at 07:58 PM.

I was talking about how combining spirits was the reason he would die, not the power of the elements.

But that does beg to question why Rava is trapped, even after Wan's death. Does that mean all the incarnations of the Avatar are related genetically? If not, what's stopping an animal from becoming the Avatar? And more importantly, what's stopping someone from destroying all the humans related to the first Avatar?

It ties into what Rava says about how one can't exist without the other. So when Wan died, due to being human, she "died" too. But was reincarnated, both as a means to keep the balance, as well as to help fullfill Wan's goal of bringing peace.

So far, we aren't sure how aware Rava is to the other Avatars, since with Wan, it was like having a second person inside him. And we aren't sure how the world was split into four nations, with each Avatar cycling through them.
    I AM the world's first Shadow Mage.

10+ Year Old Account
    I derped and watched part 2 before part 1.

Oh well. It's amazing how much like Aang they made Wan. Even down to his face and expressions it was like I was watching Aang

Deleted
    Something that popped in my mind while watching.. Oma and Shu were the first earthbenders according to the story in the cave of two lovers. Does that mean that Omashu was already a city when the first avatar came about?

Like I said he fused with Rava, Rava was basically possessing him before but with free will. Which in turn became the avatar state

But that does beg to question why Rava is trapped, even after Wan's death. Does that mean all the incarnations of the Avatar are related genetically?
    You don't seem to understand what reincarnation is...

If not, what's stopping an animal from becoming the Avatar?
    There is nothing stopping it, it's just always been human

And more importantly, what's stopping someone from destroying all the humans related to the first Avatar?
    Because... they are already dead?

You think way to much, I bet your such a great time at partys.....
    Last edited by zito; 2013-10-19 at 08:38 PM.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Earlier when Wan was training, Rava would pass through him everytime he changed elements, she was basically holding the other three for him while he used one.

he couldn't use all four at once until they permanently merged.

That's why normal humans can't use more than one bending.

The air turtle even explained this when he granted Wan air. He said Rava would have to hold his Fire abilities while he used air.

at the end of part two, it's stated that the lion turtles would no longer grant people the power of the elements. So no humans were directly granted knowledge of bending ever again.

Until later when people rediscover bending from other sources (dragons / moles / bison / moon), as explained in Aangs story.

I see no plot holes here.
    Last edited by Redmage; 2013-10-19 at 08:54 PM.
    Slaying 8bit dragons with 6 pixel long swords since 1987.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    Like I said he fused with Rava, Rava was basically possessing him before but with free will. Which in turn became the avatar state
    Which has nothing to do with what I argued. That's twice now.

You don't seem to understand what reincarnation is...
    You sound irrational.

"Reincarnation is the religious or philosophical concept that the soul or spirit, after biological death, begins a new life in a new body that may be human, animal or spiritual depending on the moral quality of the previous life's actions."

There is nothing stopping it, it's just always been human
    *See second response*

Because... they are already dead?
    No source? Not surprised.

You think way to much, I bet your such a great time at partys.....
    You act like that's a bad thing. You should see someone about that sociopathic behavior though.

All I'm saying is that there's plot holes. Granted not all plot holes are bad, but the plot holes that contradict lore/events in TLA are.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aang View Post
    You guys, Korra really hasn't been that bad. You're just bothered that she is a bit brash with her decision making, you could say Sokka was too until Book 2. Korra was kept in seclusion for 16 or 17 years and you think she has no right to be pissed off at the people who did that to her? I mean of course she has bad decisions because she never really had to make any in the first place.
    At least I'm not the only one who has been thinking this. I just find it ironic that people always accuse Korra for not listening when on multiple occasions been told how to think and do things without much input from herself. Listening is a two way street and blaming Korra for everything just is a bit unfair if you ask me.

Anyway, these two episodes are more than just good. They are such a cornerstone to just not LoK, but also ATLA and any future stories in this franchise. They are transforming the very understanding of Avatar lore and provide such amount of different layers to the story overall that it transcends the basic quality of both LoK and ATLA. The impact they have on the meanings of the show makes it become pure art.
    Last edited by Frozen Death Knight; 2013-10-19 at 08:58 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Redmage View Post
    at the end of part two, it's stated that the lion turtles would no longer grant people the power of the elements. So no humans were directly granted knowledge of bending ever again.

Until later when people rediscover bending from other sources (dragons / moles / bison / moon), as explained in Aangs story.

I see no plot holes here.
    Right, but why was bending forgotten then? Were the people who had been granted bending unable to pass it on to their children? Were they all killed in their wars?