10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Muzual View Post
    I think it's reached the point where they will never be able to please everyone with Amon's revelation. I think some people may have expectations that are a little too high
    I like to think of Amon as some ordinary guy who wants revenge against the benders. I think his cause is good but misguided and far-fetched.
    Black Lives Matter

15+ Year Old Account
    Yea the lengths that Amon has gone to is far beyond a simple revenge against benders for him to be a nobody farmer looking for revenge. He's calculating and intelligent enough to organize and train an underground movement of anti benders, and even recruit a major pillar of the civilized world(Sato) and who knows how many other major political and corporate players Amon has within his camp.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ijffdrie View Post
    Yes, but people still know Kyoshi created the Dai Li. Considering Aang saw the problems the Dai Li caused first-hand, why would he create an even more secret police?
    Well....assuming it was a "fail safe" it would make sense that you don't tell people you gave this power to someone or else those corrupt people he is in charge of policing could have killed him when he was young or inexperienced. In the same way that Zuko told Aang to kill him if he ever becomes like his father, Aang could have had the same feelings about what could happen if he becomes corrupt, or the next avatar becomes corrupt, or another Bloodbender like Yakune shows up and the Avatar is not there to protect people......someone with the power to energybend, along with chi blocking and fighting skills, could serve as the balance to keep these evil benders from abusing their powers.

But along the way Amon could have become corrupt himself, absolute power can do that and in a way Energybending gives you power over regular benders so it's possible.....along with possible traumatic events that occurred when young to influence the way someone thinks. He may have been innocent, with pure intentions and a good choice to give this power to at that time but things changed when he felt it was his duty to rid the world of benders.....it may have started with only the evil ones but his mind now thinks that ALL bending should be eradicated cause there will always be new benders who try to take advantage of their powers.

It reminds me of the classic ideology behind stuff like Irobot where a super computer is put in charge to protect mankind, realizes that the biggest threat to man is man himself, and tries to subdue them all. Or guns, in the hands of responsible people are fine but always people who abuse them so just try to get rid of all guns instead. Amon is only one person though, so with enough force he COULD be taken down and assuming the Avatar was actually good and could learn from previous avatars like connect with Aang the new Avatar would know about Amon as well as possibly learn energybending to stop HIM if he went out of control. Korra's lack of a spiritual connection could be preventing this from happening as well as her weak will.

When have we seen (in show) "energy bending" granting someone knowledge/power? AFAIK it's only ever been used to remove bending from people. (Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, as I haven't watched the original in a while) Edit: I suppose you could see it as when Aang learned about Energy Bending? That could technically be when we've seen energy bending impart knowledge onto someone.

I really don't think Amon was chosen by Aang whatsoever. I don't think Aang would have "chosen" to give that ability to someone outside of his family. (if energy bending can even impart people with knowledge) What is the "knowledge" that is granted anyways? It isn't too specific; couldn't it just be all that is known by the Avatar as opposed to granting the ability to bend?
    The quote I posted: ""The capabilities of energybending are not well understood; what is known is that bending a person's life energy can impart them with knowledge instantly or remove one's bending completely."......that is from the Avatar Wiki and I think the lionturtle mentions it, and he is also the one who showed how Energybending can be used to transfer knowledge by teaching Aang how to energybend. It can both grant abilities as well as take them away.

Amon has not only targeted people who were abusing their powers. He removed the ability to bend from police force members who were under the command of chief Beifong at the time. He was attempted to remove Bolin's bending, but was stopped by Korra and Mako.

Overall, I just don't think your theory holds much weight as is. My guess is that we'll find out how Amon came across the power to "energy bend" (could his power just be a much, MUCH more advanced form of Chi Blocking?) in the final few episodes. We should also get some form of closure to the "Amon" arc, unless they plan on making him the main protagonist like they did with the Fire Nation in the original.
    I still think he has somewhat good intentions....he thought Bolin was part of the triad and I don't remember the metalbenders who lost their powers but they could have secretly been corrupt or something. He could very easily just target any bender but so far has been picky about who he removes bending from....this could be just part of his plan to gain trust by focusing only on commonly hated benders. He has also taught self defense to regular people which I guess is a good thing in a way.

It being an advanced form of Chi Blocking is possible too, since most of the other elements and bending styles have advanced or "forbidden" forms. Could be he had a secret teacher or stumbled onto a scroll or enlightened by some spirit or just trained hard and discovered it on his own or by imitating Aang (might have been there to see Yakune lose his bending, I've read a theory that both Tarlokk and Amon were Yakune's sons and one is trying to imitate his father while the other is disgusted and wants to rid the world of even the possibility to be like that....I think they mentioned that Tarlokk was raised by someone other then Yakune so perhaps his adopted family's son was amon or something).

Energybending is a strong possibility though because they say you have to have a strong spirit with no flaws, which explains how he could resist the bloodbending. He might have full faith in his goal to "equalize" everyone with no doubt at all in his actions so a strong willpower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Protoman View Post
    I still think he has somewhat good intentions....he thought Bolin was part of the triad and I don't remember the metalbenders who lost their powers but they could have secretly been corrupt or something. He could very easily just target any bender but so far has been picky about who he removes bending from....this could be just part of his plan to gain trust by focusing only on commonly hated benders. He has also taught self defense to regular people which I guess is a good thing in a way.
    The police the he "cleansed" were the ones that helps team avatar in the raid on Hiroshi Sato's house. They were Lin's team. It was shown in the latest episode when Lin finds them, she says "I'm too late aren't I?" and I think one of the police says their bending's been removed. I think Amon is just trying to remove all the biggest threats first. I wouldn't say he's evil, but his methods are a little extreme.

10+ Year Old Account
    Amon defines epic, am I correct?
    Hey everyone

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shootandkill View Post
    The police the he "cleansed" were the ones that helps team avatar in the raid on Hiroshi Sato's house. They were Lin's team. It was shown in the latest episode when Lin finds them, she says "I'm too late aren't I?" and I think one of the police says their bending's been removed. I think Amon is just trying to remove all the biggest threats first. I wouldn't say he's evil, but his methods are a little extreme.
    I wouldn't say extreme. It's not like he kills them off, he just equalizes them. Though I was surprised when they showed that they were bombing Republic City.
    Black Lives Matter

15+ Year Old Account
    BTW, whatever happened to that kid that Zoku was trying to be helpful to his parents after he was banished from the family in I believe the beginning of the third season?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hinalover View Post
    BTW, whatever happened to that kid that Zoku was trying to be helpful to his parents after he was banished from the family in I believe the beginning of the third season?
    I think it was S2. Didn't he give the kid his knife and leave?

Found it:

Before leaving, Zuko gave Lee the dagger that he received from Iroh as a boy.

After Zuko left town, Lee's mother came to him, telling him how the soldiers had come back after her husband left to harass the family and took Lee away when he threatened them with the dagger. Having no one else to turn to, she asked Zuko to save him. Zuko denounced the soldiers as common bullies and defeated most of them easily, but the ringleader was an earthbender and Zuko was unable to beat him using only his broadswords. After recalling his mother's last words to him before her disappearance, to "never forget who you are", Zuko firebent to save himself and announced his identity proudly to the town. He retrieved his dagger from the beaten ringleader and tried to give the knife to Lee, but Lee declined and claimed his hatred for Zuko due to his former alliance with the Fire Nation. Despite what he had done for them, the townspeople rejected Zuko because of his identity and he departed, alone, with his dagger.
    Last edited by Tragedia; 2012-06-14 at 03:13 AM.
    Black Lives Matter

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by the_fallen View Post
    I wouldn't say extreme. It's not like he kills them off, he just equalizes them. Though I was surprised when they showed that they were bombing Republic City.
    Well because of the actions of a few benders he decided that he was going to cleanse all benders... seems a little extreme to me. I mean it's just like middle eastern people. Yeah a small portion of their population are terrorists, but does that mean we should just kill them all?

Well, he did make several police balloons crash. I doubt everyone survived that.
    A look at the warcraft novels, RPG books, games and magical french space soccer.

Glory to person-whose-name-I-dont-know-but-rules-Kul-Tiras!

10+ Year Old Account
    Behind you, what I'm not? Then who's this person I'm behind?
    Quote Originally Posted by ijffdrie View Post
    Well, he did make several police balloons crash. I doubt everyone survived that.
    How did he do that btw? I remembered that little detail at the end of that episode, and I always wondered how Amon and his men took down those several zeppelins, with only his one single zeppelin.
    Last edited by Pud'n; 2012-06-14 at 05:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Army of Darkness View Post
    How did he do that btw? I remembered that detail at this end of this episode, and I always wondered how Amon and his men took down those several zeppelins, with only his one single zeppelin.
    My original guess was that there were actually infiltrators amongst the metalbenders. That would also explain how Amon could use the (probably earthbending-powered) elevator and how the initial sweep missed all those equalist flags that were stashed in the arena. However, that theory is becoming increasingly unlikely.
    A look at the warcraft novels, RPG books, games and magical french space soccer.

Glory to person-whose-name-I-dont-know-but-rules-Kul-Tiras!

10+ Year Old Account
    I thought it had to do with the assets he was provided with (who we later figured out to be Sato).
    "Didn't we have some fun...though? Remember when the platform was sliding into the fire pit and I said 'Goodbye' and you were like 'No way' and then I was all 'We pretended we were going to murder you'......that was great"

10+ Year Old Account
    How did he do that btw? I remembered that little detail at the end of that episode, and I always wondered how Amon and his men took down those several zeppelins, with only his one single zeppelin.
    One word: SWAG

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Muzual View Post
    I think it's reached the point where they will never be able to please everyone with Amon's revelation. I think some people may have expectations that are a little too high
    I may have gotten worked up to that point.

If he's just some blah guy under a mask (and not Aang!) then I'll likely burn Nickelodeon headquarters down. Green slime and all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bavol View Post
    I may have gotten worked up to that point.

If he's just some blah guy under a mask (and not Aang!) then I'll likely burn Nickelodeon headquarters down. Green slime and all.
    Well get your torches and pitchforks, because there's like a 0.1% chance that Amon is Aang.

15+ Year Old Account
    Episode 10 Preview video:

http://statwhore.com/preview/korra1x10-pre.mp4
    *looks like you cannot put spoiler tags around links since the color font bleeds through even if you change the font colors*

From the looks of placement; most likely near the start of the episode.

10+ Year Old Account
    so im thinking that amon has cybernetic enhancements. It kinda makes sense with the current level of technology in the show, and he would have to have some minor ones since he is still effected by blood bending yet not enough to be immune.

---------- Post added 2012-06-14 at 05:33 PM ----------

oh and also, you have to wonder what happens when someone tries to take the avatar's bending away. since the avatar has the bending powers of several hundred generations, so maybe if someone tries to take away the avatar's bending, ALL the avatar's intervene. would be nice if that happened and it was more than just the avatar getting her glow on. maybe if the avatars physically manifested like kyoshi did in season 2.

needless to say, when amon tries that on korra in the finale i fully expect him to unintentionally open a can of whopass on himself
    Quote Originally Posted by ohshift View Post
    Mess with someone's head enough, you can turn a scared little kid into an all powerful bitch.
    only two things are infinite the universe, and human stupidity,
    and i'm not too sure about the universe -Albert Einstein

10+ Year Old Account
    Behind you, what I'm not? Then who's this person I'm behind?
    Quote Originally Posted by ranku View Post
    so im thinking that amon has cybernetic enhancements. It kinda makes sense with the current level of technology in the show, and he would have to have some minor ones since he is still effected by blood bending yet not enough to be immune.

---------- Post added 2012-06-14 at 05:33 PM ----------

oh and also, you have to wonder what happens when someone tries to take the avatar's bending away. since the avatar has the bending powers of several hundred generations, so maybe if someone tries to take away the avatar's bending, ALL the avatar's intervene. would be nice if that happened and it was more than just the avatar getting her glow on. maybe if the avatars physically manifested like kyoshi did in season 2.

needless to say, when amon tries that on korra in the finale i fully expect him to unintentionally open a can of whopass on himself
    Hmmmm I'm not so sure about that theory of Amon having cybernetics. We can hear the blood swishiling around in his body while Tarlok attempts to blood bend him. We can also see his body uniformally struggling under the weight of Tarlok's blood bending.It's a neat theory, but it's one that I doubt is true.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmmmm I'm not so sure about that theory of Amon having cybernetics. We can hear the blood swishiling around in his body while Tarlok attempts to blood bend him. We can also see his body uniformally struggling under the weight of Tarlok's blood bending.It's a neat theory, but it's one that I doubt is true.
    yeah what im saying is that the cybernetics are what allow him to resist the blood bending, but he is human enough to be effected by it.

it's just an idea but a neat one.
    Quote Originally Posted by ohshift View Post
    Mess with someone's head enough, you can turn a scared little kid into an all powerful bitch.
    only two things are infinite the universe, and human stupidity,
    and i'm not too sure about the universe -Albert Einstein