Page 7 of 410 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Protoman View Post
    Yea, true. For some reason I thought the masked guy was a fire bender, and Mako would be one of those characters who plays both sides......part of that "equalists" group, but also a regular guy who can get close to the avatar. Voice actors for both are different though so I guess not. Plus these "equalists" are supposed to be against bending, apparently they use chi-blocking techniques which I've never heard of. I feel like you would have to have some bending skill to block chi, like pushing nerve points and stuff. Wouldn't be surprised if air bendings forbidden master technique has something to do with chi blocking, just like bloodbending for water.

Animation is the medium, anime or cartoons are genres. Just like comics (technically "sequential art") would be a medium, and manga or superhero comic books are genres. Then you got sub genres. I feel like animation is a style an not necessarily restricted to stuff that comes from japan, even though thats the most "authentic" source.
    If you watched the first series, you have already seen Chi-blocking being used. Ty Lee (the girl from the circus who followed Azula around) used it as her main way of disabling people since she was a non-bender. Chi-blocking is similar to martial artists who attacked by hitting pressure points. Think Acupuncture but with martial arts.

http://avatar.wikia.com/wiki/Chi_blocking

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Protoman View Post
    Animation is the medium, anime or cartoons are genres. Just like comics (technically "sequential art") would be a medium, and manga or superhero comic books are genres. Then you got sub genres. I feel like animation is a style an not necessarily restricted to stuff that comes from japan, even though thats the most "authentic" source.
    Anime and Cartoon are just synonyms for animation, they are not genres. Anime and manga are used to describe a country of origin, but they are still not genres. Super Hero comic is a genre. Action, romance, comedy, children's, and so on are genres.

Now I am talking genre from a story telling perspective, not from an artistic style one. In that sense, things like anime and manga do usually contain artistic styles as far as character design and drawing / animation techniques, but that is usually not what people mean when they discuss genre when it comes to entertainment. Saying something like "I like anime, recommend me some good ones." is pretty much the same as saying "I like books, recommend me some good ones." It is far to broad a category to be able to offer up any meaningful recommendations. For someone to say they like comedy or romance anime would be much more useful.

I finished watching the Last Airbender for the first time a couple days ago, and just watched the Legend of Korra episodes. Seems pretty good so far.

I do like the setting, but I hope they move out of the city at some point. If not this season, then the next. They don't have to make it another travelling around the world story, but there are other places I'd like to see again. Ba Sing Se, Kyoshi Island, the Northern Water Tribe, and Omashu to name a few.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Helryx View Post
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Animesque
    I just killed someone's afternoon.Or morning.Or night.
    I have a research project due tomorrow that I haven't finished, looks like I'm not not going to finish it at all now.
    On the whole anime-or-not thing, I'd consider it an anime, due to the art style. If it looked more like spongebob or family guy or something, then I'd probably say it was a "cartoon", but due to character design and so on, I call it anime.

Never watched all of the first Avatar,need to find it online and do that sometime. I've heard a lot of good things about Korra from a few friends, so I should probably start watching it too.

a great start for sure. really interested what they will do regarding the spirit world stuff since Korra will clearly have to learn that too.

I've been thinking about this and i have a little theory. We saw in the trailers that this The masked guy (http://avatar.wikia.com/wiki/Amon) seems to have some kind of mind-fuck abilities that give Korra nightmares, which i think can be argued involve the spirit world.

I say spirit world mainly because i think that evil-spirit Koh, (http://avatar.wikia.com/wiki/Koh) may be involved since there's a ton more you can do with that character...remember that he steals faces? notice that Amon is WEARING A MASK?! just saying. Makes sense that he want to get rid of benders too, that would be a far more permanent way of killing the Avatar wouldn't it?

It is probably WAAAAAAY too early to tell of course so i wouldn't be surprised if I am horribly wrong.

EDIT: also note that the mask Amon wears is kinda similar to the white creepy face that Koh wears...again maybe i am just full of it =p
    Last edited by ryuke09; 2012-04-19 at 03:06 AM.

If didn't know Ep3 is up
    <3
    Last edited by Sunshine; 2012-04-24 at 01:18 AM.
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

Quote Originally Posted by moogogaipan View Post
    It's up on the official site too, and I think it's better quality.

I hope they keep uploading them there, for people who don't get the channel.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well he met a turtle or he killed the turtle after he learned energy bending? Makes a good speculation discussion.
    Hey everyone

Quote Originally Posted by Duronos View Post
    Well he met a turtle or he killed the turtle after he learned energy bending? Makes a good speculation discussion.
    Or it was advanced chi-blocking. It looks like he touched the Light and Thought chakras.

(I'm gonna put spoiler tags on just in case. Not sure if it's needed, but you never know)
    Last edited by Duruka; 2012-04-22 at 12:03 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Duruka View Post
    Or it was advanced chi-blocking. It looks like he touched the Light and Thought chakras.

(I'm gonna put spoiler tags on just in case. Not sure if it's needed, but you never know)
    You have a point. Meaning it's not energy bending but more like temporary energy bending correct?

If you open the chakras again that is.
    Hey everyone

Quote Originally Posted by Duronos View Post
    You have a point. Meaning it's not energy bending but more like temporary energy bending correct?

If you open the chakras again that is.
    Yep. Something like Ty Lee, or the Chi Blockers in today's episode used. Just more permanent.

It could be energy bending too, but I think you'd have to be a pretty powerful bender for that. Amon could be lying about his story, and trying to get rid of benders for another reason.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is a great series. Beautifully animated and so far, an extremely well-told story.

10+ Year Old Account
    i have watched avatar on and off for a long time i really love the show but due to it being on a channel i dont get i cannot watch it all

seems like this series is going to be good,avatar's the only thing i have enjoyed since DBZ

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Duruka View Post
    Yep. Something like Ty Lee, or the Chi Blockers in today's episode used. Just more permanent.

It could be energy bending too, but I think you'd have to be a pretty powerful bender for that. Amon could be lying about his story, and trying to get rid of benders for another reason.
    Actually when I saw that scene, that was basically my first thought. He was also mentioning during his speech how "spirits" communed with him. It really would not surprise me if he spoke to [url=http://avatar.wikia.com/wiki/Koh]Koh, the Face Stealer[/url]. It would fit the bill though. Aman gave up his face to gain the power to seal bender's powers.

Quote Originally Posted by Hinalover View Post
    Actually when I saw that scene, that was basically my first thought. He was also mentioning during his speech how "spirits" communed with him. It really would not surprise me if he spoke to [url=http://avatar.wikia.com/wiki/Koh]Koh, the Face Stealer[/url]. It would fit the bill though. Aman gave up his face to gain the power to seal bender's powers.
    I don't think so... I think he did go to the spirit world, or had an altercation with one, but I don't think it was Koh...maybe there he is related to the avatar line somehow and managed via training to bring up a power or something... idfk. Good show though, recent episode was the best.

How dare you prefix the thread title with Anime. That is so disrespectful to the masterpiece that is Legend of Korra. :/

Really beautiful show, I can't wait to see more. Loved every minute of it so far, it's so natural in the way it transitioned from Last Airbender to Legend of Korra.
    We'll be right here eating popcorn while you get it in.

Up to date with the episodes the Chi blocker guys are really cool, also the Main enemy could be VERY interesting if they pull off the whole benders versus the non benders properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hinalover View Post
    I agree, it fits the bill.

Quote Originally Posted by kendro1200 View Post
    I agree, it fits the bill.
    Every sunday it is guys?
    The unattainable best is the enemy of all the available betters.

10+ Year Old Account
    Anyone catch the most recent episode? I wonder what the flashback meant at the end.....it showed a grown up sokka, toph, then ang sitting in some conference, close-up of a mysterious guy who could be amon?, then ang attacking.

I forgot that circus chick Ty lee could chi block. I read up on her a bit, apparently she taught those kyoshi warriors all how to chi block near the end of the first series. Suki is a kyoshi warrior too so she might have picked up the ability.

I got a random theory that amon is probably a child of the kyoshi tribe. It could be ty lee's kid....or maybe even sokka and suki's kid. They were all non benders, and maybe the kid grew up feeling inferior or something.....or jealous that all his other relatives had bending skills but not his family and so focused hard to just be a super fighter and chi blocker.