Page 3 of 410 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Changed the thread title to be about the series, not just the first episode.

10+ Year Old Account
    I must be the only one whenever I see Katara I get the younger image in my head. It makes my throat clump up because even though it's been 70 years since then I feel like only republic city is the only change and nothing else has. I can't look at old Katara and then think that's Katara.
    Hey everyone

Quote Originally Posted by Duronos View Post
    I must be the only one whenever I see Katara I get the younger image in my head. It makes my throat clump up because even though it's been 70 years since then I feel like only republic city is the only change and nothing else has. I can't look at old Katara and then think that's Katara.
    I think that's what makes it great tho.
    Homage to the old, with a very strong taste of the new, but still rooted in the mythology of the old.
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

10+ Year Old Account
    The second episode is making me... Well let's keep it at that.

Anyways, I'm really thinking that those 2 guys in the show (pro-benders) are going to be part of the adventure crew throughout and that republic city may not only be the place for what they are doing. If I remember correctly in the first series (Aang one), they really didn't go anywhere in the first 2 episodes and they kind of branched out by like the 3rd or 5th I think... I can't really remember that but I do remember that they didn't go anywhere during the first 2.
    Hey everyone

10+ Year Old Account
    The second episode is making me... Well let's keep it at that.

Anyways, I'm really thinking that those 2 guys in the show (pro-benders) are going to be part of the adventure crew throughout and that republic city may not only be the place for what they are doing. If I remember correctly in the first series (Aang one), they really didn't go anywhere in the first 2 episodes and they kind of branched out by like the 3rd or 5th I think... I can't really remember that but I do remember that they didn't go anywhere during the first 2.
    The creator has said that the bulk of the series will take place in Republic City. Republic City was created to be a place where people from all the nations could live and work together. After the end of the war in the original series, there were a number of Fire Nation settlements in the Earth Kingdom and the Fire nation people who lived there had done so their whole life. The Earth Kingdom wanted them to give back those settlements to the Earth Kingdom but the Fire Nation did not want to leave. Ang and Zuko helped build Empire City to be a place that would accept all nations so they could learn to work together to keep the peace. I think those ideals are going to play a large part in the Legend of Korra where she will have to help the benders and non benders to compromise and support one another.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    The creator has said that the bulk of the series will take place in Republic City. Republic City was created to be a place where people from all the nations could live and work together. After the end of the war in the original series, there were a number of Fire Nation settlements in the Earth Kingdom and the Fire nation people who lived there had done so their whole life. The Earth Kingdom wanted them to give back those settlements to the Earth Kingdom but the Fire Nation did not want to leave. Ang and Zuko helped build Empire City to be a place that would accept all nations so they could learn to work together to keep the peace. I think those ideals are going to play a large part in the Legend of Korra where she will have to help the benders and non benders to compromise and support one another.
    Sounds great but the only issue of it, is that there is so much in that world for adventure.
    Hey everyone

10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds great but the only issue of it, is that there is so much in that world for adventure.
    But if they did the whole Avatar and friend travel around the world on adventures it would just be a rehash of the first series. I like that this series seems like it will be a smaller and more personal story. Also, it will allow the creators/writers to spend more time on side characters. It wont be like in Avatar where the go to someplace new and meet some new people and then after an episode or two, and maybe a bit near the end where they show back up to help Ang, you never see those side characters again.

10+ Year Old Account
    So far the first two episodes of Korra have been pretty great. I am loving the music in them. Very similar to MoP (obviously of course lol). And I hope the story gets better, so far its interesting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    But if they did the whole Avatar and friend travel around the world on adventures it would just be a rehash of the first series. I like that this series seems like it will be a smaller and more personal story. Also, it will allow the creators/writers to spend more time on side characters. It wont be like in Avatar where the go to someplace new and meet some new people and then after an episode or two, and maybe a bit near the end where they show back up to help Ang, you never see those side characters again.
    Good point, I have to agree on your viewpoint.
    Hey everyone

It has interesting characters and good dialogue, things that really set Avatar apart and make it great fun, but it lacks a good conflict. This mysterious gangster 'Amon' is underwelming as a villain, Korra deserves a better adversary.

Also, what happened to Toph? I was hoping she'd show up extremely old but still full of vigor like Boomy in the first series.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just watched the two episodes and I was pretty impressed. I was worried that i would kind of reject these new characters just cause I am so attached to the old ones. But it was very well done. I am interested to see the new villain a little more before I decide he isn't menacing enough for Korra. I like the brothers and Tenzin's children! hehe. Overall I would say it was probably a little stronger than the original series pilot episodes.

Quote Originally Posted by Xenogeist View Post
    It has interesting characters and good dialogue, things that really set Avatar apart and make it great fun, but it lacks a good conflict. This mysterious gangster 'Amon' is underwelming as a villain, Korra deserves a better adversary.
    That's a completely irrational assessment from merely watching the first two episodes. :T

Give it time, bro.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickbuttmario View Post
    So far the first two episodes of Korra have been pretty great. I am loving the music in them.
    I'm not too sure I like the mix of classical- and swing-era music, but I'm definitely loving that erhu (chinese violin)...it never fails to give me chills and make me swoon, lol -- such a beautiful instrument.

I'm basically on the fence about the whole show though...
    I understand flying bison are an Air Nomad/Tribe thing, but they're so much more awesome than polar bear-dogs...and Appa (along with Momo) had soooo much more personality than Naga does.
    Amon doesn't seem like he could be that much of a threat, at least not comparable to Mark Hamill's Fire-lord Ozai, but I'm willing to give it a few more episodes to see how he develops and what he's really up to.
    The setting itself. It just doesn't draw me in the way The Last Airbender's world did. It's the whole Republic City industrialization thing -- tall buildings, skyscrapers, cars, radios, etc -- it just doesn't feel right to me.

Although, to be fair, the latter point does open up some possibly interesting developments regarding how the new (industrialization) and the old (bending, the separate tribes, etc) -- both with their respective ideals -- clash and attempt to coexist in this one tiny area. Very sociological. Very interesting.

And just as well, the voice cast is -- like its predecessor -- amazing. Both Janet Varney and J.K. Simmons (J. Jonah Jameson, Cave Johnson) have done an absolute knock-out job with Korra and Tenzen, respectively, in the first two episodes... hell, I might just watch the show to see what they do with their characters.

I dunno... thoughts, anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Irisel View Post
    I'm scared I might not like it. I dislike how futuristic it is (compared tot the original).

I almost prefer it was a previous Avatar's life, instead of a future one's. I'm going to give it a chance, nonetheless.
    futuristic? maybe if it was 1890
    Isnt 10% of infinite still infinite?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ambigiouslynamed View Post
    futuristic? maybe if it was 1890
    It's supposed to be set in a 1920's Hong Kong style steampunk setting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Saw the first two episodes tonight, I'm in love already. So stoked to watch this series repeatedly like I did with the original.
    "Didn't we have some fun...though? Remember when the platform was sliding into the fire pit and I said 'Goodbye' and you were like 'No way' and then I was all 'We pretended we were going to murder you'......that was great"

Deleted
    I liked it a lot, though avatar isnt an anime.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiing View Post
    I liked it a lot, though avatar isnt an anime.
    Might as well call it an American anime if you wanna nitpick.
    "Didn't we have some fun...though? Remember when the platform was sliding into the fire pit and I said 'Goodbye' and you were like 'No way' and then I was all 'We pretended we were going to murder you'......that was great"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ElAmigo View Post
    Might as well call it an American anime if you wanna nitpick.
    Well you can call it a thousand things, but it doesent matter if its not.

When you compare, Bleach,Naruto or Full Metal Alchemist to Avatar the diffrence must be obvious right?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiing View Post
    Well you can call it a thousand things, but it doesent matter if its not.

When you compare, Bleach,Naruto or Full Metal Alchemist to Avatar the diffrence must be obvious right?
    Ok, now compare Naruto to Cowboy Bebop....

Edit: Btw, did anyone else think the metal bending cops were one of the coolest things ever??
    Last edited by ElAmigo; 2012-03-26 at 08:33 AM.