Deleted

Starting running... questions.

After "shopping" around, I've decided that I'm going to start running, more specifically the C25K program to guide me along.

I've bought a pair of running shoes, some shorts and I have a route planned... I assumed this was all I needed, but then I went on a couple running websites and found a whole checklist of things I should be doing.

Noteably, things like buying a really expensive pair of shoes... I spent £20 on a pair of shoes (Just under a 50 RRP) because I'm a student I can't really afford the latest Nikes or whatever but supposedly since I didn't spend around £100 on a pair I'm not going to get anywhere.

Then we get to undergarments. I have... eh, almost moobs, and a bit of a belly hence why i'm trying to get fit and lose weight (I'm about 13 stone, 18 and Overweight... if this matters). I started reading more into it and now I'm terrified my nipples will start bleeding and everywhere will start chafing unless I fork out more and more on what I've dubbed a "Ned Flanders suit" (Like wearing nothing at all... nothing at all... nothing at all...). Do i really need to buy this kit or is it some clever marketing strategy to scare me into buying a whole host of stuff?

So, the shorty, this seems a bit excessive... I mean, I just wanna get out on my seafront, run casually to lose weight and get fit, at least for now... I can understand getting top-notch gear for a full-time athlete but in my situation I'm not convinced I need to buy all this.

If anyone with relevant knowledge can shed some light on this I'd love you to bits.

Thanks, desp.

Deleted
    just run. put on some running shoes, put some good music on your ipod, and go and run. nice airy clothes that let air get your skin will be good aswell, if chafing is a problem, take a tub of vaseline.

honestly i dont know :P

I am a runner, I would say putting out the money for the good shoes is worth it, I also recommend Mizunos or Asics (my shoes cost $80 if this helps). Those are my favorite shoes personally. And to run I just wear a tshirt and gym shorts and those spandex underwear. I've never chafed from running but if you do, body glide works miracles. When I bike I chafe sometimes and that stuff is incredible. Hope this helps!

Don't skimp on your shoes and have someone properly fit you. You don't have to spend a ton of money but you need something properly fitting to prevent injury. Especially if you're overweight. Band-Aids over the nipples works. Just make sure they're tightly secured and you'll probably want to shave the hair there too. You don't need expensive garments either but i do recommend support for the boys
    Last edited by Ezrail; 2012-03-22 at 11:29 PM.

no, you really don't need to go all out with expensive running gear. A bit of trial and error might be needed to find what type of clothes feel right when you are running to avoid chafing, but like said above something light and airy will be fine. The nipple bleeding thing can be rather exaggerated, I've only experienced it when running in really cold weather or when its raining, you can also feel the chafing start long before you'll start bleeding so you can stop if needed.

Good luck with the exercise, I hope you are able to stick with it.

Deleted
    I might look into that later, I live in a small town... whilst It would make sense that we have a good 'ol family cobbler we don't. I order everything I have online over spending outrageous costs on trains to the next town over, the shoes I have seem to fit fine after I've worn them for a day but alas i've yet to go running so I guess I'll find out then if I have to save for a month to start losing weight.

Also, cheers for the "Nip-tip". Never thought of plasters over them, I shant bother shaving the hair... I guess the plasters will do that job for me :P!

get a product called bodyglide. you put it on like deodorant on any part of your body you don't want to chafe. I used it for a few marathons and it works perfectly. Throwing money for decent shoes isn't a bad idea in running because it's virtually the only piece of equipment you use. If you can find a specialty running store, I would go there. They will find a shoe that is correct for your form. If you wear poor shoes and neglect your feet you can definitly get injured easily. Really don't need any top quality shirt/short type thing for casual running. When I was training for marathons I would be in normal or dry fit shirt and regular shorts 99% of the time. Good luck.

You're not marathon running or anything like that, you don't need all of that stuff. You're running to lose weight. All those kinds of things are for hardcore, dedicated runners. People who will run for an hour or two at a time, and not just jogging.

Good running shoes are a plus, definitely, but if you can't afford them, you can run in cheaper running shoes. Just make sure they're actually running shoes and not just sneakers of any kind. You can run in tight underwear to prevent chafing, but don't even worry about it until you experience it. You probably won't get bloody nipples, but if you do, you could put a band-aid on them.

The horror stories is just for hardcore runners, which starting out, you definitely won't be. Like the guy above me said, the shoes can help prevent injuries. But you don't even know if you'll enjoy running, so try it out for a bit. See if you enjoy this or not, see if you'll be dedicated enough to keep going with it, THEN buy your shoes. Don't just go spend 100 dollars on good shoes and then not know whether you'll like it. That's like going to an MMA Gym before ever experiencing a class and buying gloves/shorts/headgear/mouthguard/wristwraps and then not liking it. It's a waste of money.

If you can, start running without shoes.

Watch this TED talk about running.

I use a "glove" for my feet, instead of a shoe. Google Vibram FiveFingers. I spend a lot of money in shoes, but by the end of a running session my feet were killing me. I changed to it and in a few weeks I had no pain at all after running.

It is worthy to mention I only saw that TED talk recently, way after I stopped using shoes. I initially thought my feet were just not "right" and my bone structure was a little off (3 different doctors ordered X-rays and stuff like that, all said I was OK, but I just couldn't believe since the pain didn't stop).

If you are cheap, you can buy vaseline to put on body parts that usually bleed. But I wouldn't worry about it you will feel the shirt starting to hurt your nipple before the bleeding actually starts.
    Last edited by energumeno; 2012-03-23 at 11:17 PM.

I am The Burning Legion - Play Free Online Games

I agrre with Energumeno. Honestly running without shoes or with a pair of "free movement" shoes is really the way to go. If you get a pair of really expensive joggers they tend to have a really thick heel, leading you to strike harder with your heal than is good for your knees.