Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    There are no addons that cancel pain sup, you can make a /cancelaura button like you do for hand of protection, but why would you? If you got pain sup you surely want to keep it as long as possible, 5% threat reduction is negligible. Nothing overrides pain sup like hand of salvation, which is overwritten by other hand of x's and such. If the tank isn't cancelling it then it must be the priest doing it wrong? In all my years of playing priest i've never encountered or heard of this issue, so it sounds more like someone simply doesn't know the exact details. I wouldn't be surprised if the priest thinks he is suppose to overlap pain sup with the initial impale timer hitting zero, and then a few seconds later when the actual impale hits the pain sup fades and the tank dies.
    Last edited by mmocff76f9a79b; 2012-03-24 at 08:44 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Yilar View Post
    There are no addons that cancel pain sup, you can make a /cancelaura button like you do for hand of protection, but why would you?
    Yeah.. Since you haven't seen anything like it, there can't be anything like it either. Makes sence.
    Last edited by mmocae31beb646; 2012-03-25 at 01:14 PM.

There are no addons that cancel pain sup, you can make a /cancelaura button like you do for hand of protection, but why would you?
    If the tank isn't cancelling it then it must be the priest doing it wrong?
    I like how you instantly dismiss the only possible explanation that makes any sense, an addon or addons interacting to automatically cancel it early, and go straight for something completely impossible, that the Priest is "doing it wrong". How is this magical Priest able to "do it wrong"? Are you not aware of how spells work in the game? You cast Pain Suppression, and it gets cast on the a target. That is all the interaction you can have with the spell.

Please explain exactly how a Priest could go about casting it "wrong" and causing it's duration to be lower.
    Last edited by Abandon; 2012-03-24 at 03:13 PM.
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Abandon View Post
    I like how you instantly dismiss the only possible explanation that makes any sense, an addon or addons interacting to automatically cancel it early, and go straight for something completely impossible, that the Priest is "doing it wrong". How is this magical Priest able to "do it wrong"? Are you not aware of how spells work in the game? You cast Pain Suppression, and it gets cast on the a target. That is all the interaction you can have with the spell.

Please explain exactly how a Priest could go about casting it "wrong" and causing it's duration to be lower.
    You really think Blizzard would allow addons that cancel auras for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Ariadne View Post
    Well, they also let you make macros which instantly cancel auras.

And there's a specific command in game to cancel auras, /cancelaura.

Here's an addon which does something similar, cancelling the Tricks of the Trade buff, another aggro modifier buff:
    http://www.wowinterface.com/download...asyTricks.html

Considering it is completely impossible for you to cancel a buff which is on someone else, which is what they seem convinced is happening, it seems a lot more likely.
    Last edited by Abandon; 2012-03-24 at 04:02 PM.
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

Deleted
    As already said, your tank is cancelling it whether he knows it or not, there is no other explanation.

There are no addons that cancel pain sup, you can make a /cancelaura button like you do for hand of protection, but why would you? If you got pain sup you surely want to keep it as long as possible, 5% threat reduction is negligible. Nothing overrides pain sup like hand of salvation, which is overwritten by other hand of x's and such. If the tank isn't cancelling it then it must be the priest doing it wrong? In all my years of playing priest i've never encountered or heard of this issue, so it sounds more like someone simply doesn't know the exact details. I wouldn't be surprised if the priest thinks he is suppose to overlap pain sup with the initial impale timer hitting zero, and then a few seconds later when the actual impale hits the pain sup fades and the tank dies.
    While the API doesn't fully allow for automated cancelaura effect, it does indirectly through macros. There are mods on curse that set up a bind that includes a list of cancelaura buffs. It is far more likely that it's some addon of his doing this without his knowledge than some H-Spine bug that no-one else is experiencing.

As to why someone would write an addon that cancels PS? It could be a threat reason, or it was added in by mistake by the user. It happens.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themos View Post
    As to why someone would write an addon that cancels PS? It could be a threat reason, or it was added in by mistake by the user. It happens.
    It would suprise you how many people throw out threat reducing spells (PS & HOP) on dps who are supposed to be tanking something. Happened to me quite a few times when we were doing H Mimiron in Wrath and we couldn't figure out how I was losing threat until a pally came forward and said he put BOS on me because I wasn't a tank & had agro. And yes, there are/were mods out there that would cancel those threat reducing spells on you. I used to have one when I would tank on my DK & Pally but I can't for the life of me remember the name of it. Its to prevent threat reducing stuff being put on you as a tank and you losing threat to dps who get 1 shot by a boss because they pull off you because you no longer have threat.

Deleted
    There's a lot of interesting speculation here, but without a WoL, it's impossible to see if the OP is experiencing an all new bug, the tank has an add-on, or the priest is casting PS too early and it's falling off during impale. OP, do you have a log of a fight where this happened?

Quote Originally Posted by Wyred View Post
    There's a lot of interesting speculation here, but without a WoL, it's impossible to see if the OP is experiencing an all new bug, the tank has an add-on, or the priest is casting PS too early and it's falling off during impale. OP, do you have a log of a fight where this happened?
    He mentioned the Pain Suppression is only lasting two seconds instead of six, so casting it too early wouldn't cause that. Let's take the Holmes approach, when we have eliminated the impossible (That the Priest is somehow making the buff last 2 seconds), whatever is left, however improbable, must be the truth.

Deleted
    Still its best to rule out every possible odds that can be (like did the colonel really got murdered in the dining room or..?) and would be best to have a log of said situation. Various factors can kick in such as lag, player perception etc. Least the solid thing that can be is a log instead of claim x or y.

Deleted
    So what happens if you try it outside of combat on that tank? And outside DS? Step #1 is indeed verifying WoL not much use speculating otherwhise...

Please do enlighten us. I can't think of a single reason to have an addon that cancels threat reduction, or a reason to make one.

Btw I use my pain sup on the same impale, but I found it wasn't enough at times, so I included my barrier aswell, the timing would allow for me to use it there and doing the bolt hit on the 4th platform.
    Good rogues dump off the threat portion of tricks after the initial dmg bonus is given. So just because you are not familliar does not mean these items do not exist. The tank is more likely tho A clicking it off canceling it or not geared enough. Now i'd like to see a log of this 2sec pain sup. It will be shown in buffs gained and w/ its duration in worldoflogs.

1. Your tank simply got killed through Pain Sup, because he lacks gear or whatever. (very unlikely, considering, what you stated)
    2. Some addon of your tank is causing the /cancelaura. As pointed out by others in this thread, no one else than the tank can "click the buff off".
    3. Your priest forgot to Pain Sup at all and didn't want to take the blame.

But for me it sounds like 2 is most probable. Take your priest and the tank to a training dummy, put Pain Sup on him and let him spam all of his abilities, he would normally use, when about to get hit by impale. If it gets cancelled somehow, try to find which skill did it (if any). If it always cancels, even only with auto attacking, try to disable all addons and try again. If it works properly then, find out which addon causes it, by turning them back on one by one.

If nothing helps, look through logs.

Quote Originally Posted by Ariadne View Post
    There's plenty of addons that automatically cancel buffs.

I'm the priest in OP's raid group. We figured it out a few pulls later, so I want to put an end to the discussion.

After looking at the log, the issue was that our tank would occasionally just barely die on impales (with less than 10k overkill), even when he has 100k+ absorb on him and is topped off. Since then, we just use a small cooldown (stoneform or whatever) with pain suppression to solve the problem.

The reason we thought pain suppression was only lasting 2 seconds was because the Raeli's Spell Announcer mod would show in timestamps that pain suppression had faded early. Obviously, we were just being dumb, because of course pain suppression would fade when the tank dies.

Anyway, thanks to everyone who looked into this. As usual, the simplest explanation is correct.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm everywhere and nowhere at the same time!
    It may be possible that there's an addon causing that or that he is using Shield Wall which I think it cancels out Pain Sup. Not sure tho bout the last one but possible.

Wait on here.

This was happening to my guild also. Warrior Tank has no addon's to cancel aura's also wasn't manually removing it himself.
    After looking into why my Pain Supp went on CD, and the tank died 2 secs later, I had to look at WoL.

What I've found is Pain Suppression always showed
    When Tank Survived:
    [20:09:35.634] Clearea casts Pain Suppression on Riverune
    [20:09:35.994] Riverune gains Pain Suppression from Clearea

When Tank Didn't Survive:
    No Buff Casted, No Buff Gained & No Buff Lost.

This happened 11 times in 58 attemps on 25HM.
    Also was running two disc priests, either Pain Supp from either healer had the same issues. Normally the issue arose on the 5rd Impale (1st Impale - Platform 3)

Ohh in before I can see what will be said next, no Pain Supp were never missed on the tanks, Chat Log showed cast, DBM showed the cast also, Guardian Spirited (Priest addon) showed it too, same as did Grid also.
    The only thing in common was Pain Supp cast, 2 secs later Pain Fades. Tank is dead. Tank was also at Max HP, while uses his own personal cd's.

Conclusion: On top of everything else, the fight is bugged to the shit house. gg blizz.

Fixed by DK soaking the first sets of impales (1,3,5,7) with no ext cd's (expect Sac on 5th & 7th) and Warrior soaking the second sets of impale (2,4,6,8) with all personal cd's and ext Pain Supp's on 4,6 & 8.
    Last edited by Clearea; 2012-03-27 at 03:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Clearea View Post
    Wait on here....
    What you described is what we were seeing (I'm in OP's raid group). We initially thought pain suppression was fading early too.

But look at how much damage the impale actually hits for and you can see if the pain suppression had any effect. We found that the tank was just barely dying with pain suppression on (with less than 10k overkill). If the tank dies, of course it will show that pain suppression faded.

Despite the other bugs in this fight, we don't believe this pain suppression issue is a bug. We've never had a problem with it again.

Deleted
    Never been a issue, so defo tanks fault if it falls off some how (cancelled)