Page 1 of 3
LastLast

MoP Mages in PvP

Disadvantages

Armour 'dancing' is off. You choose one shield and that's that. Most frost mages will probably only run Mage Armour shield which gives a base 5 mastery off the bat, as frost shield doesn't give physical resistance. What does this mean? Mages will be the epitome of glass cannons. They lose a tonne of survivability and I can see us being trained to death.

Mages only have 2 novas now (3 if include frostjaw). Cone of Cold no longer has a root. This nerfs the control mages had by a lot. 1 frost nova every 25 seconds, good luck peeling melee. The control we had in WotLK was far too much, but just right in Cata with the DR's.

Deep freeze just being a stun, and no longer adding the freezing component. This bit's annoying. Every class (except priests) has an interrupt on a lowish cd. Casting frostbolts will be impossible with a shammy hounding you with interrupts on top of a rogue kicking you. Yes, you can cc them enough to start chain casting but what then? 20% chance to gain FoF, the only time you'll be able to do decent amount of damage. If Pet Nova gives 2 stacks of fingers of frost then this is alright.

Icy veins lasting 20 seconds, but 3 min CD. I'm not a fan of this, purely because at the moment purge remains unchanged. Hopefully they change purge and bring it in line with all other offensive dispels (and also change spellsteal).

Advantages

Though we will be incredibly squishy, we will have 2 shields (ice barrier and probably incanters shield). I would pick incanters shield because mages will probably be the kill target, and when you pop that you can counter pressure with 30% spell damage instead of having to sit on your rune or get a 6 second evo off.

Casting, the fact that blizzard is encouraging casting instead of ice lance spam means we'll be seeing a lot of these kids who rerolled mages quitting because they can't play them well any more. They will become a more difficult class to master, but still incredibly simple at the core. (spam frostbolts)

Frost bomb: a cool spell, but personally the cast time isn't needed. They only time you would use this is when your team is completely in control of the match.

What needs to happen in order for mages to be good

Currently, mages will probably be where they stood in wrath. Good in certain comps however not that great overall with little synergy with most classes. Their cc has been improved with regards to polymorphs however personally I feel their peeling ability has been hindered (CoC for example) If mages are to be good, haste needs to be found in gear. Most of our spells currently have cast times (frostjaw, poly, frostbolt) so in order to do damage haste is a must. However if you cannot get a good amount of haste, mages will be what they were in cata, except with less damage, less pressure and less burst which is not good.

Feel free to post your opinions and correct me where I'm wrong, I'm relatively tired
    Last edited by rektbrah; 2012-03-23 at 09:47 AM.
    this game sucks

I don't think you make large claims like this until you have done PvP at 90.

Every class got changed, so your entire perception of what is a buff and nerf could be completely wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    most people won't be taking Frostjaw, we still have blanket silence and it will most likely share DRs with freeze/blanket silence, I'll be going with Ring Of Frost seeing how it materialises immediately and is on a 30 second CD. Frost Ward is also an amazing Melee peel. Also who knows maybe Arcane and Fire will take over as the mage PvP spec. I could see Arcane taking over with move survivability and OP AOE Arcane Barrages.

All 3 would be viable in a perfect world (of warcraft) but I'd like to see Arcane more viable/fun than it is now

Deleted
    I see fire being a lot in pvp.

edit: PS. Combustion stuns

Oh, after x amounts of xpacs of being faceroll, they almost require skill now? Shame on Blizzard!

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm sorry, I just don't feel capable of pity after what mages have had in Cata. It also helps that I play Ret/Arms, so I've just kinda grown to hate them.

I don't understand what's so bad about being a glass cannon either, playing my ele shaman is difficult sometimes, but it's so much fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Puck View Post
    I find it quite disheartening that I got an erection just by reading "Cowboy boots".
    Quote Originally Posted by Anodur View Post
    The greatest generation is long dead? Last I checked, Miley Cyrus, Kanye West, Rebecca Black, and One Direction are all still kickin'...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by andyrockin123 View Post
    Oh, after x amounts of xpacs of being faceroll, they almost require skill now? Shame on Blizzard!
    Let me guess... you play a warrior.

Quote Originally Posted by DoogH View Post
    I don't think you make large claims like this until you have done PvP at 90.

Every class got changed, so your entire perception of what is a buff and nerf could be completely wrong.
    It's just speculation

Quote Originally Posted by _Fire_ View Post
    most people won't be taking Frostjaw, we still have blanket silence and it will most likely share DRs with freeze/blanket silence, I'll be going with Ring Of Frost seeing how it materialises immediately and is on a 30 second CD. Frost Ward is also an amazing Melee peel. Also who knows maybe Arcane and Fire will take over as the mage PvP spec. I could see Arcane taking over with move survivability and OP AOE Arcane Barrages.
    Didn't know RoF was on a 30 second CD

Quote Originally Posted by Olianda View Post
    I'm sorry, I just don't feel capable of pity after what mages have had in Cata. It also helps that I play Ret/Arms, so I've just kinda grown to hate them.

I don't understand what's so bad about being a glass cannon either, playing my ele shaman is difficult sometimes, but it's so much fun.
    Two things: Mages were no where near the level of OP as shamans/locks in cata. Yes in 1v1 they were beast and RBG's but who cares, arena is the only one that matters and rshams/locks were undisputed kings this xpac

Secondly, mages have always had pretty bad damage but good control, and I don't like the fact that they're taking away the finesse of the class (control) and making them just pump damage.

Tbh I'd like to see you get 2200 as a mage in wotlk
    this game sucks

Lolwut. Mages were limited in Wrath? Where were you the entire expansion. I guess RMP wasn't the top arena team. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by ElfinHilon10 View Post
    Lolwut. Mages were limited in Wrath? Where were you the entire expansion. I guess RMP wasn't the top arena team. Oh well.
    RMP wasn't the top arena team... Just because freak players made it work doesn't mean it succeeded on live servers.
    this game sucks

10+ Year Old Account
    Looks like mages will be squishy, but can withstand/revert damage with short-duration or shield abbilities. Looks better then what we have now (from a balance perspective)
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

Armour 'dancing' is off. You choose one shield and that's that. Most frost mages will probably only run Mage Armour shield which gives a base 5 mastery off the bat, as frost shield doesn't give physical resistance. What does this mean? Mages will be the epitome of glass cannons. They lose a tonne of survivability and I can see us being trained to death.
    There is a glyph to reduce the cast time of the armours so swapping will still be done.

http://www.wowdb.com/spells/98397-glyph-of-armors

In fact, given the changes to base stat increases that the new amour changes bring, I predict people will be changing amours more often than now.

IMO it looks like mage will require even more finesse then it does now. We'll be able to take even LESS damage then we can on live, on the other hand our damage output and control look like they will be high enough to compensate. Personally i'm excited. Fire pvp WITH ice barrier? Please!
    #1 Resto Tree Slap DPS

mages deserve to be dead last for the entirety of the xpac in order to make up for the previous years.

Original poster:
    1-You don't seem to be a top, or at least a high rated pvp player
    2-You don't know much about mop design for mages. And by that i not only mean you haven't tested lvl 90 yet. You're horribly wrong about so many things that it makes me think that you either haven't read the info we have or you don't know how to understand a simple text at all.
    Which leads to the question:
    What's the purpose of this post?
    Speculation? I don't think so. Speculation is only useful when its done by people who actually understand what's going on and have a good insight about what's going to happen. That person is usually one with a large experience on the field.
    So what's the purpose of this post?

Quote Originally Posted by rektlol View Post
    What does this mean? Mages will be the epitome of glass cannons.
    Thats actually their goal 100% TO be glass cannons..which is what they were designed to be. Personally Im excited..its the PvE im iffy about. They really need to make it more interesting

Quote Originally Posted by Shullski View Post
    Thats actually their goal 100% TO be glass cannons..which is what they were designed to be. Personally Im excited..its the PvE im iffy about. They really need to make it more interesting
    Well you have to be more specific if you want feedback to be taken into account.

On the contrary, frost mages used to take a lot more skill than most classes, but passive snares and crit bonuses have made them faceroll.

Deleted
    DR is finally being fixed...god I love these changes as a warrior...avatar inc