Thread: Good RPG

Good RPG

Can anyone recommend me a good RPG that isnt a 1st person sandbox game like Skyrim or Fallout, those are good but not what I'm looking for.

Thanks
    Isnt 10% of infinite still infinite?

Chrono Trigger
    Breath of Fire 1-4
    Saga Frontier
    Final Fantasy 6 through 10
    Legend of Dragoon
    Zelda (Link to the Past, Ocarina of Time, Twilight Princess)
    Pokemon (I know, but they're fun)
    Star Ocean Series
    Grandia Series

Oh wait... did you mean current generation? Cause then you're ef'd.

Deleted
    You'll have to be more specific. That's still a pretty wide spectrum.

10+ Year Old Account
    Depends on what you are looking for. Are you looking for a modern rpg or an older one? Jrpg or western rpg? I take it you are looking for a story heavy game, so maybe a bioware game (Mass Effect, Dragon Age: Origins or Knights of the Old Republic for example), or perhaps something like Deus Ex Human Revolution (very heavy story oriented first person rpg). If you are looking for older titles, you could try any of Black Isles old games, like the first 2 Fallouts (which were top down isometric rpgs), Baldurs Gate, Icewind Dale or Planescape: Torment. Also, the first Deus Ex is quite old now, but daaaamn, it was a good game. The Witcher and The Witcher 2 are also good, and the first one is pretty cheap now. As for Jrpgs, its been a few years since Ive really played any, so if thats what you are looking for, maybe someone else can help ya.
    My Youtube videos. Co op gaming. A work in progress, but check em out, you might get a laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Istaril View Post
    You'll have to be more specific. That's still a pretty wide spectrum.
    rpg with a party of 3-6 ppl, rezing, overworld, not a strategy/tactical (as in grid based movement) and recent gen
    Isnt 10% of infinite still infinite?

I assume you are looking for single player games? If not then this will not relate to you.

Planescape: Torment (old game, but still amazing)

Witcher 1 & 2 (mix of action and RPG, excellent mature story)

Chrono Trigger (for the SNES, get an emulator, my favorite game of all time and one which I pull out my SNES yearly to play again, I even have the 3 CD set of the original midi music from the game, these are what midi's should be)

Heroes of Might and Magic 3 (mix of RPG and turn based strategy, great game)

Final Fantasy 1-6 (can skip the rest in my opinion, I only enjoyed these ones, also get the original version is possible the re-releases were made way to easy)

Neverwinter Nights (liked the first one, not the second)

Baldur's Gate (both are amazing)

Edit: Oops typing before you said no serious strategy/tactical. Skip HMM3 then, but it is a great game.

Golden Sun 1 and 2 for Gameboy Advance. You would need an emulator, but those are easy to get and run
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

I'm not going to buy any game by EA as long as they continue those practices.

Deleted

Only one i can suggest atm

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ambigiouslynamed View Post
    rpg with a party of 3-6 ppl, rezing, overworld, not a strategy/tactical (as in grid based movement) and recent gen
    I would say to this then something like Neverwinter Nights 1 or 2, possibly Dragon Age: Origins (no overworld there, but some decent areas). Tbh, if you want as current gen as it gets, you could try final fantasy 13-2 (i hated the first, it was so boring, but the 2nd one looks like it has some potential, even if a lot of the characters are as annoying as hell)
    My Youtube videos. Co op gaming. A work in progress, but check em out, you might get a laugh.

Xenoblade Chronicles. If you live in America, it should be coming out in a few weeks. If not, it's probably already out. It's got a good story, decent characters (Dunban is a badass), good music, a good combat system (kinda mmo-ish), an amazing world and pretty bad graphics. I'd say it's the best rpg I've played in at least a year.

---------- Post added 2012-03-24 at 12:31 AM ----------

Oh, and the best thing about it is how completely ridiculous some cutscenes are when half your party is naked.

For some nice conversations, open ended quests i advice Fallout 2, at the beginning turn based system may bore you but don't give up.After 15 mins of gameplay you will be sucked in.I can say this is the best RPG i have ever played.Finished it maybe 10-15 times and still i believe there many things i missed.

Also as others said try Neverwinter Nights 1 and also check the premium modules.Currently i am playing this since my Swtor server is dead.

Neverwinter nights 2 is great also but i didn't like the expansions.

Baldur's gate is another game you can try.It is a legendary game.

You can also try Icewind dale and Arcanum.

Dragon Age: Origins is still one of the best ever IMO.

Kingdom of Amalur. Came out in the start of Feb. I loved it so much I completed it in 3 days, 30 hours played. It is a lot like Skyrim, but better. The combat system rocks.

It's a mix of Skyrim and God of War.
    Shaman since Vanilla. All the way !

Deleted
    The best RPG games by far in my opinion and many others is Baldur's gate I & II, Arcanum, and Fallout I & II, there are other "good" games, but nothing even comes close to these five that I have played.
    Last edited by mmoc5f9674afcd; 2012-03-23 at 02:26 PM.

Deleted
    "Suikoden 5" was a great game.

The "Persona" series are awesome too.

both are round based jrpgs with a party. (persona 4-6 members, Suikoden 5 6 members)

basically you're looking for games like:
    lineage 2
    wow
    dungeons and dragons mmo
    etc

Deleted
    Dragon Age i think.

10+ Year Old Account
    Tales of Vesperia is a favorite of mine. I always liked the Tales franchise's combat system.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Lets say you have a two 3 inch lines. One is all red and the other is 48% red and 52% blue. Does that mean there's a 50-50 chance they're both red or is the second line matching the all red line by 48%?
    ^^^ Wells using an analogy

10+ Year Old Account
    "The Last Story"

Now the rpg elemts are a bit short on this one, the game only lets you decide the weapons and armour. Stats are distributed automatically.

But the story is quite nice and the characters i find have quite some depth to them. It all has a rather western setting for an jrpg but i think thats what creates its charm.

Tryout Tales of Graces f. Its probability the one of the few Not 1st person RPG out there that are any good this gen.

Also try Tales of Vesparia if you don't have ps3 and Tales of Symphonia Dawn of the New World for the Wii (especially if you played the first one).