Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Blizzard already working on expansion 5, got plans for another one.

World of Warcraft's fifth expansion pack is already approved and in development at Blizzard's Irvine, California HQ, the company's confirmed.

Speaking to CVG during a visit to see latest WoW entry, Mists Of Pandaria, Blizzard COO Paul Sams not only confirmed the next expansion is in development, but said Blizzard's WoW team already knows what it's going to do for "multiple expansions ahead".

Asked if he saw potential for more expansions beyond Pandaria, Sams replied: "Absolutely, because I know what the next one is. So, that being said, I think there's a lot of opportunity.

"I got the pitch from Chris Metzen of what they plan for 6.0 and I'm pretty geeked up about it. They already know what they're going to be doing for multiple expansions ahead."
    On WoW expansion 5, he added: "They have an idea - a general framework. They're these lore creators. They're the ones who drive what the world looks like today and what it'll be like tomorrow and beyond.

"I think the future of World Of Warcraft continues to be bright and I think Mists of Pandaria is going to breathe huge life into what I believe is the best MMO out there. I think the number of people we have playing and the level of enthusiasm they have for the game suggests that to be the case."

He concluded: "This is the next of many ways in which we're going to grow and improve and evolve this game."

It was suggested that Blizzard could move full focus over to its next-gen MMO project Titan following the release of Pandaria, but clearly this won't be the case.

Hit the link for the latest World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria gameplay footage, and look out for the full Blizzard interview shortly.
    Well, one could only wonder what setting it would be.

SOURCE: http://www.computerandvideogames.com...-over-concept/

Ee-yep. They probably know what the 6th and 7th expansions will be too. They're long term planners.

I think we will be getting 2 more expansions. 91 - 95 based around Aszhara and N'zoth. 96 - 100 with the return of the legion and the titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Butterball View Post
    I think we will be getting 2 more expansions. 91 - 95 based around Aszhara and N'zoth. 96 - 100 with the return of the legion and the titans.
    Much, much more than that. WoW will go on for decades yet; there's no chance of Blizzard killing this cash cow before its time.

If i remember correctly, back in vanilla it was said that blizzard had expansions planned all the way up until 2012. Doesn't surprise me though that they have them planned out that far ahead.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kisho View Post
    Much, much more than that. WoW will go on for decades yet; there's no chance of Blizzard killing this cash cow before its time.
    Decades? It isn't even 1 decade old

Ee-yep. They probably know what the 6th and 7th expansions will be too. They're long term planners.
    They don't probably know....

They do know multiple expansions ahead. It says it right there in the announcement...

Deleted
    Personally I reckon the last expansion will be 2014 - end on it's 10th anniversary

It's way to early but for me to come back to WOW they would have to release something on the next expansion by years end. After this one for me to even think of returning to WOW. I'm skipping this expansion altogether given what I see about it.

When the next expansion comes out and pretty much everything is reset again, maybe it will be worth looking into playing WOW again. By that time I'm sure the SoR will be nothing less than a full blown gaming phenomenon.

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Not as World of Warcraft, but it certainly is more than a decade old idea.

Also, remember the Warcraft games could be counted in.

WoW is a phenomenon. Blizz has 0 expectations Titan is going to be nearly as popular as WoW. Which is smart. WoW may never be matched by another game of it's kind. They'll keep making expansions as long as it's producing them $$$.

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Look to other MMOs. A specific example would be Ultima Online: released in 1997, it is still live and running. UO never experienced the crazy amount of subscribers WoW currently has, and yet it's still able to stay afloat. So if WoW has millions more subscribers, it stands to reason that it should be able to last for far longer than UO, which is currently 15 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanctioned View Post
    They don't probably know....

They do know multiple expansions ahead. It says it right there in the announcement...
    That it does. I missed that on my initial read through. That said, not sure what you're trying to achieve with this post.

Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    WoW is a phenomenon. Blizz has 0 expectations Titan is going to be nearly as popular as WoW. Which is smart. WoW may never be matched by another game of it's kind. They'll keep making expansions as long as it's producing them $$$.
    Pretty much this, as long as they can get people to pay for it they will continue to develop it.

*sigh*

Everquest is still going, its just celebrated its 13th anniversary and it has 18 expansions, it never had near the subscriber numbers that WoW has posted.

Anybody who thinks WoW wont easily pass the 15 year mark with something like 10 expansions is crazy, even if numbers went on a gradual decline, they could keep scaling back hardware and staff to stay profitable down to a fairly small number of players, say 100,000? How long do you think it will take to get down that low? Because it aint happening by next week, or month, or year.

Deleted
    Makes me wonder what the new features will be in those expansions though. Cata brought nothing new, unlike TBC with its rated arena (STV is completely different) and WotLKs achievement system. MoP will have challenge modes and pet battles. So what will 6.0 have? :O So curious...

@Kisho - I love your Ultimate comment, glad to see others who even know about the game <3

And yeah, I think it is only logical for Blizzard to plan for year ahead, of course, some of the plans never come true but some degree of planning is necessary so the creative team doesn't have to come up with storylines from scratch. And to those who already think they know what the next expansions are about - I would take your predictions with a ton of salt, it is simply too early to tell and despite being predictable, even Blizzard isn't that predictable.
    http://wowbettergaming.hubpages.com/

Just because you are a casual player like me, it doesn't mean that you can't play and perform awesomely with minimal effort - writing and blogging about the trials of the common player - while topping the charts!

But..but..all the interweb experts toldme that Blizz will end wow at level 100

Quote Originally Posted by Isonyc View Post
    If i remember correctly, back in vanilla it was said that blizzard had expansions planned all the way up until 2012. Doesn't surprise me though that they have them planned out that far ahead.
    Indeed, they had Cataclysm planned in Vanilla. They probably even know how WoW will end by now.

Deleted
    Look to other MMOs. A specific example would be Ultima Online: released in 1997, it is still live and running. UO never experienced the crazy amount of subscribers WoW currently has, and yet it's still able to stay afloat. So if WoW has millions more subscribers, it stands to reason that it should be able to last for far longer than UO, which is currently 15 years old.
    The question was about expansion releases NOT it's lifespan. As long as servers are open people will play however it's naive in thinking Blizz will forever invest money in expansions

Already working on the 5th expansion even before having delivered half the content they explicitly promised for the 3rd expansion? Does Blizzard not have any shame?