Just looking for advice.

Hi, my build is located here:
    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/60Ur

This is based almost entirely on Marest's Budget Gaming 550 build.

I'd like to play Civ 5, the new SimCity when it comes out, Starcraft 2, possibly Diablo...

As you can see I'd be starting from scratch; I don't have anything right now.

A lot of people on these boards claim it's pretty easy to build a computer if you just research it first. Is it really that simple?

Thanks!
    Last edited by chaud; 2012-03-23 at 10:43 PM.

It is very easy to build. Is that as far as your budget goes? Your motherboard selection won't allow for much upgrading in the future. Your wireless mouse will have increased latency over wired, avoid it unless you need it. Get the 6870 if you can find one that is only ~$20 more if you plan on playing more graphically intense games.
    Last edited by chaud; 2012-03-23 at 11:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chaud View Post
    It is very easy to build. Is that as far as your budget goes? Your motherboard selection won't allow for much upgrading in the future. Your wireless mouse will have increased latency over wired, avoid it unless you need it. Get the 6870 if you can find one that is only ~$20 more if you plan on playing more graphically intense games.
    Thanks. Can you suggest a better motherboard without increasing the price too much? Also curious about nvidia v. radeon... I've just always had nvidia so I prefer them, even though I have no real reason to.

As for the mouse, I really just put that there as an absolute minimum.

EDIT: How well would this run Diablo 3? Any ideas?

Deleted
    Part list permalink / Part price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-2120 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor ($115.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z68 PRO3 GEN3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($104.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.95 @ Newegg)
    Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Blue 250GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.70 @ NCIX US)
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 1GB Video Card ($159.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: NZXT Gamma Classic (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: Antec 430W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($52.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Optical Drive: Sony AD-7280S-0B DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Newegg)
    Monitor: Acer S220HQLAbd 21.5" Monitor ($119.00 @ B&H)
    Keyboard: Logitech K100 Wired Slim Keyboard ($14.94 @ Wolf Camera)
    Mouse: V7 M32N00-7N Wireless Optical Mouse ($17.99 @ Amazon)
    Total: $753.52
    (Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
    (Generated 2012-03-26 16:27 EDT-0400)

made a few changes that i believe will be worth it for you in the long run:

CPU - a $ extra for an extra 200MHz
    MB - You asked for a "better" motherboard with a few more options, the Pro3 Gen3 is a good choice at a higher cost of course
    RAM - cheaper with "15% off w/ promo code EMCNGHG96, ends 3/29", 1600MHz (will get downclocked to 1333 but still worth it and ready for future CPU's)
    GPU - [6870] As Chaud mentioned it's with the extra money
    PSU - Changed to a better quality (don't cheap out on a PSU)
    MONITOR - Personally I would spend the extra money on this, little bit bigger and 1920x1080 resolution. The choice is of course yours.

It will run Diablo3 at max settings, no problem.

Thanks!! You guys are super helpful. I am planning on making this (or half the cost) my graduation present.

Now all that's left is to actually build it... You all might be hearing from me again this summer.

Forgot to ask. How well do you think a build in this range would run GW2?

Deleted
    High settings with ease would be my guess with the usual adjusted shadows, AA etc. I don't know the exact requirements for the game so take my guess with a grain of salt.

That's good to hear. I've been stuck on a Macbook for almost 3 years now (NEVER AGAIN!!!) so I've lost all concept of what even an average gaming build can do!

---------- Post added 2012-03-26 at 11:10 PM ----------

Another question. I've seen a lot of people wondering if they should wait a month or two before building a computer since there's a bunch of new stuff coming out in May-ish. Is this true? What is happening that will push prices down? Should I wait?

Deleted
    New motherboards and new Intel CPU's. If you can wait it might be worth it or at least it'll buy you some time to look for good deals.

Really dumb/basic question here...

Which part of the computer connects to wifi? Will basically any computer I build have wifi capabilities?

Deleted
    You'll need to buy a wireless adapter, I don't really know much about those, never had the need for one, so I can't recommend anything. Hopefully someone else can?

Here's my new (cheaper) build. Really trying to be price-conscious.
    pcpartpicker dot com/p/6mDR

Would this handle SCII, WoW, GW2, D3 at high/ultra settings?
    Last edited by paupsers; 2012-04-02 at 04:37 PM. Reason: Forgot to include RAM and Hard Drive, Doh!

Deleted
    HD6870 vs GTX460

You decide if it's worth it or not. It will handle Blizzard games just fine.

Don't buy that PSU, trust me buying a cheap/bad quality PSU isn't worth it. You don't have any RAM listed and no HDD, maybe that's why you find it cheaper?

Updated links with your suggested GPU.

Part list permalink / Part price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i3-2120 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor ($117.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Motherboard: ASRock P67 PRO3 (B3) ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($104.98 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($39.99 @ NCIX US)
    Hard Drive: Samsung Spinpoint F3 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($79.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 460 1GB Video Card ($141.97 @ Newegg)
    Case: NZXT Gamma Classic (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: OCZ 600W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($44.99 @ NCIX US)
    Optical Drive: Sony AD-7280S-0B DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Amazon)
    Monitor: Acer G235HAbd 23.0" Monitor ($139.74 @ CompUSA)
    Total: $727.63
    (Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
    (Generated 2012-04-02 13:02 EDT-0400)

As you can see there isn't much of a change, I did spend an extra $10 on the HDD but an extra 250GB and getting a Samsung Spintpoint is worth it in my opinion. You can change it as you much as you like of course. remove the keyboard and mouse from first build and you're at approx. the same price +- a few.