Poll: Which is better?

10+ Year Old Account

Vertical vs Horizontal Arcade Shooters

The ultimate question for sadistic bullet hell loving gamers.

Do you prefer horizontal shooters like Gradius, R-Type, Deathsmiles, Eco Fighters, Parodius, Ai Cho Aniki and Einhänder?

Or

Do you prefer vertical shooters like 1942, Raiden, the Touhou series, Silpheed, Ikaruga, Radiant Silvergun and Mars Matrix?

In case for some reason the names are not self explanatory here are examples:

Vertical

Horizontal

Pro Tip! Turning your television set can turn each type of shooter into the other type!

I'd have to go with vertical, just for Ikaruga and Touhou.

Gradius is amazing though too.
    Last edited by Caiada; 2012-03-24 at 12:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Caiada View Post
    I'd have to go with horizontal, just for Ikaruga and Touhou.

Gradius is amazing though too.
    Touhou is vertical for the most part though O.o

I went with vertical. First learned bullet hell games playing Raiden and some other older games whose name escapes me. Too many fond memories with vertical bullet hells.

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    Touhou is vertical for the most part though O.o

I went with vertical. First learned bullet hell games playing Raiden and some other older games whose name escapes me. Too many fond memories with vertical bullet hells.
    Oops

Got myself a little mixed up there...

Touhou is completely vertical, yes. Ikaruga is too. I think it's just how he was thinking about them. In vertical ones you move horizontally primarily, and of course vice-versa.

Anyway, as far as I'm concerned, vertical is for really tough, strategy-like and pinpoint accuracy ones such as Touhou or that other one that I forget the name of. I think DaiDonPachi is it. Meanwhile, horizontal is just for more action-based, casual fun ones.

I say this because I just can't play horizontal ones that play like vertical ones. My mind just... breaks. It cannot translate the vertical game movements into a horizontal one.
    Last edited by Senka; 2012-03-24 at 12:05 AM.