Thread: Cross-Fit

Cross-Fit

Just wondering if anyone out there has tried cross fit? I'm a little bit older, 35, but in decent shape, 6 ft 200 lbs. I lift 3 days a week and cardio 3 days a week but I'm bored at the gym most of the time and I'm looking for something new to excite me or at least get me motivated. My only problem is I have a bad back and a torn miniscus in my knee but that doesn't really bother me too much.

For anyone that has done it or is doing it now, is it pretty stressful on your joints? Seems like they tend to do a lot of Olympic weight lifting moves so that might be out of the question with my back. Any advice would be appreciated.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    It is very effective and they will easily work around what you can and cannot do, the key is of course listen to your body and be sure to try an established gym if you try it as potential for injury is higher here than in any other gym environment if taught incorrectly. Also even if done right there have been a lot of cases of severe injury/joint deterioration after prolonged participation so dont go in scared but definitely watch for signs of injury and have fun

10+ Year Old Account
    Find a crossfit box (that's what they call their gyms) they offer free classes for beginners, you can usually sign up on monthly basis, give it a shot for a month and put forth a full effort. I enjoy it but it's definitely not for everyone, yes there is olympic lifting / gymnastics and a real potential to fuck yourself up if you don't have very strict form. Go light, improve your flexibility, listen to the coaches and your joints / conditions should be cool.

While you are still researching looking for something exciting to do, yoga can be good, its not intense or make you sweat, but it can be amazing if you can collaborate between cross fit and yoga. It has great exercises to strengthen you back and add flexibility to body. It's definitely not muscle builder, but you can find yourself very relaxed and calm after you start doing yoga. It's an idea, try it and see if it's for you. Some gyms like planet fitness or lifetime fitness have programs where you get free classes with normal membership.

If your back and knee are hurting I'd suggest being extra extra careful with your form and staying away from any retarded deadlifting, kipping pullups and other half-assed exercises that will put you into early grave with their speed>form mentality.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've been doing crossfit for over a year now, and as someone who's had knee surgery and many long term pains (basketball for about 20 years) I've actually found that crossfit has helped as opposed to hindered. But I need to emphasize that this is only the case when done correctly!!! If done half-assedd, it will no doubt mess you up. Research your local boxes and find one with a good reputation. The right coaches will understand your injuries, work around them, and help you get stronger. I no longer have knee pains when running long distances. Before I started a 5k run was the stupidest idea I have ever heard of with my knees. Now it's the easy part of longer workouts. No joke.