Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Final Fantasy Tactics 2?

So Square-Enix has a new site up for a "secret" game. There is a trailer on the site and many people are thinking this might actually be a proper sequel to the game. Here is the site:

http://cc2012.square-enix.co.jp/

There is also a countdown in the bottom right corner. Probably the announcement though. Thoughts on the trailer?

10+ Year Old Account
    Final Fantasy Mystic Quest 2 or a sequel to their mildly racist Tom Sawyer RPG on the Famicom.

Funny, I saw an article on another site about this video where people thought it was another crystal chronicles game.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would say Crystal Chronicles. it says Secret Project C is Coming, with the C in Coming being the same as the C in project making a CC and with the picture of a lone crystal on the black background being the lead in.
    dictated but not read.

We'll see in 5 days. Another tactics wouldn't be bad.
    Because ten billion
    years' time is so fragile
    so ephemeral…
    it arouses such a
    bittersweet,
    almost heartbreaking fondness.

Quote Originally Posted by Talorh View Post
    We'll see in 5 days. Another tactics wouldn't be bad.
    I would kill for a sequel to Tactics Advance.

A2 just wasn't all that fun though
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

I hope it's not another Final Fantasy Tactics. I'd just really like them to stop fucking that world, that'd be great.

12, 12:RW, TA, and TA2 all do not live up to the original and I highly doubt anything they could ever release will. I just hate how they dumped all over the setting of Ivalice, and are still making games in it.

Deleted
    The URL says "cc". As far as I know that stands for Crystal Chronicles.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragon9870 View Post
    I would kill for a sequel to Tactics Advance.

A2 just wasn't all that fun though
    Yeah A2 was a letdown for me.

Ever since Squaresoft became square enix... it hurts to watch anymore, not gonna lie.

Allthough, yesterday I got a ton of squaresoft games, now to only convince myself squaresoft is still squaresoft and not square enix.

*sobs* holding the copies of FFVI (3 for Snes), FF1 (Complete in Box), Breath of Fire (Complete in Box), Super Mario RPG, Vagrant Story, Chrono Trigger, (Also bought Chrono Cross, expecting to be disappointed), and The First and Second Kingdom Hearts.

And the only game I can stand to see of Square Enix in my possession is KH 2.

=(

Oh, look, more bitching about how the games aren't the same as they were in the 90s. Just like, you know, every FF thread.

I don't think so. I'm betting on a Crystal Chronicles game or some new spin-off.

Quote Originally Posted by Caiada View Post
    Oh, look, more bitching about how the games aren't the same as they were in the 90s. Just like, you know, every FF thread.

I don't think so. I'm betting on a Crystal Chronicles game or some new spin-off.
    I don't care that the games aren't the same as they were in the 90s. From my point of view, 12, 12:RW, TA, and TA2 are all sequels to the original FFT, because they all take place in Ivalice. They essentially retcon the events of FFT though. Despite the work of Alazlam, no mention is made of Ramza, or even Delita. The Zodiac monsters are still alive, and seemingly unharmed despite Ramza wiping them out.

The entire landscape of Ivalice is changed. If you compare the various games, none are visually similar to FFT. My main beef is with Tactics Advanced, and Tactics Advanced 2 though. They are far too light hearted. The original FFT is at its core a dark fantasy with very adult themes. There's nothing wrong with games that are more light hearted or kid friendly, but I do not approve of a genre shift for an already existing franchise. It'd be like turning Lord of the Rings into a comedy, or Star Wars into dark fantasy or steam punk.

I actually approve of the direction most Final Fantasy games are going these days. I'm very psyched for Versus 13, and I think 13 and 13-2 have kickass stories, and Caius Ballad is a beast. I don't approve of 11 and 14, but I dislike the idea of an Elder Scrolls mmo just as much, and for the same reasons.

I just don't want any more games taking place in Ivalice, they've fucked up the lore enough already.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dupree View Post
    *sobs* holding the copies of FFVI (3 for Snes), FF1 (Complete in Box), Breath of Fire (Complete in Box), Super Mario RPG, Vagrant Story, Chrono Trigger, (Also bought Chrono Cross, expecting to be disappointed), and The First and Second Kingdom Hearts.
    Memory tells me Breath of Fire was actually a Capcom game? I might be wrong.

Square got worse when they realised they could make really really good looking games. The better the games look, the worse they actually are. I think they see the final fantasy series as art rather than a good series of RPG's and they're tying to create new art.
    Fans don't want that. They want game like ff7-ff9 with a different story and new characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurcus View Post
    I don't care that the games aren't the same as they were in the 90s. From my point of view, 12, 12:RW, TA, and TA2 are all sequels to the original FFT, because they all take place in Ivalice. They essentially retcon the events of FFT though. Despite the work of Alazlam, no mention is made of Ramza, or even Delita. The Zodiac monsters are still alive, and seemingly unharmed despite Ramza wiping them out.

The entire landscape of Ivalice is changed. If you compare the various games, none are visually similar to FFT. My main beef is with Tactics Advanced, and Tactics Advanced 2 though. They are far too light hearted. The original FFT is at its core a dark fantasy with very adult themes. There's nothing wrong with games that are more light hearted or kid friendly, but I do not approve of a genre shift for an already existing franchise. It'd be like turning Lord of the Rings into a comedy, or Star Wars into dark fantasy or steam punk.

I actually approve of the direction most Final Fantasy games are going these days. I'm very psyched for Versus 13, and I think 13 and 13-2 have kickass stories, and Caius Ballad is a beast. I don't approve of 11 and 14, but I dislike the idea of an Elder Scrolls mmo just as much, and for the same reasons.

I just don't want any more games taking place in Ivalice, they've fucked up the lore enough already.
    In the same universe is not a sequel. There's absolutely never been any consistency in Final Fantasy. I'm not sure why because these games took place in a world with similar themes they somehow have to change this. I'm not even sure why the name somehow means they have to stick to the same themes, especially when visually, yes, all of the games are very similar. Just because they aren't the exact same world doesn't frankly mean shit. They're all different worlds with a few similarities. I'm not seeing the problem here.
    Last edited by Caiada; 2012-03-25 at 07:30 PM.

In the same universe is not a sequel. There's absolutely never been any consistency in Final Fantasy. I'm not sure why because these games took place in a world with similar themes they somehow have to change this. I'm not even sure why the name somehow means they have to stick to the same themes, especially when visually, yes, all of the games are very similar. Just because they aren't the exact same world doesn't frankly mean shit. They're all different worlds with a few similarities. I'm not seeing the problem here.
    There's actually consistency in several of the games. It has been flat out stated that 10 and 10-2 are prequels to 7. I'm sorry, but I see them as sequels, especially Tactics Advanced, and Tactics Advanced 2. It'd be like if Dirge of Cerberus wasn't even similar to the world of FF7. 5 Is a fairly obvious sequel to 1 imo, you just need to read between the lines a bit. 10-2 is obviously a sequel to 10, and 13-2 is obviously a sequel to 13.

Doing some quick research, they screwed the lore more than I thought. At least some of my questions were answered. 12 Is in fact a prequel to Tactics. TA and TA2 are direct sequels/retcons though. http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/I...#Game_Timeline

It is indisputable fact that the games are directly related.

There's actually consistency in several of the games. It has been flat out stated that 10 and 10-2 are prequels to 7. I'm sorry, but I see them as sequels, especially Tactics Advanced, and Tactics Advanced 2. It'd be like if Dirge of Cerberus wasn't even similar to the world of FF7. 5 Is a fairly obvious sequel to 1 imo, you just need to read between the lines a bit. 10-2 is obviously a sequel to 10, and 13-2 is obviously a sequel to 13.

Doing some quick research, they screwed the lore more than I thought. At least some of my questions were answered. 12 Is in fact a prequel to Tactics. TA and TA2 are direct sequels/retcons though. http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/I...#Game_Timeline

It is indisputable fact that the games are directly related.
    As much a fan as I am, I frankly don't care about their timelines. It means absolutely nothing for the story going on in the games themselves except for the actual direct sequels (which obviously have consistency or they wouldn't be fucking direct sequels), it's a pointless thing to argue about, nothing is confirmed and any sort of consistency would add absolutely nothing but fanservice and them not being allowed to take the worlds the direction they want, which is obviously not going to be perfectly consistent when they aren't literal sequels. They are wholly contained as separate stories. Tactics Advance starts a whole new world, has very different mechanics, and barely fits in the damn genre. TA2 is a direct sequel and actually fits very comfortably into the world of 12 and TA1, being developed much sooner after and having cameo characters such as the Espers and Vaan. I don't know what the hell Revenant Wings is besides a direct sequel to 12 so I assume it fits in well too.

The Zodiac monsters in the two TA and FF12 games are gods. You cannot even kill them in the games they appear again in. When you actually do defeat them, they just retreat or become usable Espers. In the case of TA2, this in the form of an accessory that summons them, presumably through some power in the accessory, not the Espers themselves.

Geography discrepancies are exactly the sort of pointless shit I'm not bothering to argue. It doesn't matter. It is, again, not a direct sequel.

The tone. This is the big one, I guess. The lighter tone fit the two TA games much better than a darker one they should have, and just because they take place in the same (VERY VERY VERY GENERAL) universe does not mean they should share the same tone. That is absolutely up to the author. Feel free to be upset it is not the direction you wanted. Do not feel free to argue there is any logic beyond opinion behind that though. There isn't. I was not mad at FFIX for not being steampunk when the rest of the past 3 games were. The in-between tone of FF12 made perfect sense given the large scope of the game, the general Ivalice world, and the political story they wanted to tell. It was a weak story nonetheless, but not because of any problems with its tone.

The art styles of every iteration of Ivalice have been similar, especially among the later games. The connection to the original FFT is mostly spiritual. No other name would make sense. Keeping them in Ivalice is just a throwback.

As much a fan as I am, I frankly don't care about their timelines. It means absolutely nothing for the story going on in the games themselves except for the actual direct sequels (which obviously have consistency or they wouldn't be fucking direct sequels), it's a pointless thing to argue about, nothing is confirmed and any sort of consistency would add absolutely nothing but fanservice and them not being allowed to take the worlds the direction they want, which is obviously not going to be perfectly consistent when they aren't literal sequels. They are wholly contained as separate stories. Tactics Advance starts a whole new world, has very different mechanics, and barely fits in the damn genre. TA2 is a direct sequel and actually fits very comfortably into the world of 12 and TA1, being developed much sooner after and having cameo characters such as the Espers and Vaan. I don't know what the hell Revenant Wings is besides a direct sequel to 12 so I assume it fits in well too.

The Zodiac monsters in the two TA and FF12 games are gods. You cannot even kill them in the games they appear again in. When you actually do defeat them, they just retreat or become usable Espers. In the case of TA2, this in the form of an accessory that summons them, presumably through some power in the accessory, not the Espers themselves.

Geography discrepancies are exactly the sort of pointless shit I'm not bothering to argue. It doesn't matter. It is, again, not a direct sequel.

The tone. This is the big one, I guess. The lighter tone fit the two TA games much better than a darker one they should have, and just because they take place in the same (VERY VERY VERY GENERAL) universe does not mean they should share the same tone. That is absolutely up to the author. Feel free to be upset it is not the direction you wanted. Do not feel free to argue there is any logic beyond opinion behind that though. There isn't. I was not mad at FFIX for not being steampunk when the rest of the past 3 games were. The in-between tone of FF12 made perfect sense given the large scope of the game, the general Ivalice world, and the political story they wanted to tell. It was a weak story nonetheless, but not because of any problems with its tone.

The art styles of every iteration of Ivalice have been similar, especially among the later games. The connection to the original FFT is mostly spiritual. No other name would make sense. Keeping them in Ivalice is just a throwback.
    Just because you don't care about the lore of the consistent world doesn't mean I don't. You not caring about their timelines does not mean they don't exist. That sounds more like willful ignorance to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow...that link just SCREAMS Crystal Chronicles. Which would be fine by me, I too am tired of them butchering Ivalice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it is just a simple way to get away with changing anything they want. There are similar themes but there are also a lot of differences. Many of those differences would completely contradict themselves if it was in the same world. By changing the world (which they don't always do mind you) they can get away with changing anything they want.

Just because you don't care about the lore of the consistent world doesn't mean I don't. You not caring about their timelines does not mean they don't exist. That sounds more like willful ignorance to me.
    So tell me, how do supposed connections between two distinctly separate games somehow impact whether Tactics Advance and the rest of the post-Tactics Ivalice are good games or not, when literally the only clear, defined and artistically supported connections are a few area names, art style similarities, themes and them using the same world name? It had a goal, it accomplished that goal. The goal was not to be internally consistent with a spin off released 5 and a half years later.

You are taking a name and some throwbacks and turning them into a world to be angry at something that is not an actual qualitative problem at all. Especially given that every game in the Ivalice world aside from the original Tactics are fairly consistent for Final Fantasy games.

I don't care if people don't like any Ivalice games beyond Tactics. I deal with 12 and TA hate constantly. I hate when people have completely idiotic or bullshit reasons for doing so.