Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Sooo SWTOR FPS issues anyone?

Hey guys, so I've been playing TOR for only a little bit now (I see so many flaws already), but the first thing I noticed when I logged in and made a toon is that the graphics requirements are crazy, I am running a 3GB Nvidia GeForce 555m on my laptop, 8GB DDR3 RAM 1600mhz, 3.0hz processor, which with DX11 runs WoW at 100FPS on Ultra in 10 mans, and 60 FPS on High with DX9, but I have to run TOR at low settings in order to get my 60, which is completely absurd...
    I heard this is something that the developers don't want to talk about but seriously, this is stupid.
    But to the point, has anyone found a way to get up to 60FPS on high settings without having to run two-top of the line video cards on a stationary PC? I mean I am not bothered much but its a little annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by alexko9 View Post
    Hey guys, so I've been playing TOR for only a little bit now (I see so many flaws already), but the first thing I noticed when I logged in and made a toon is that the graphics requirements are crazy, I am running a 3GB Nvidia GeForce 555m on my laptop, 8GB DDR3 RAM 1600mhz, 3.0hz processor, which with DX11 runs WoW at 100FPS on Ultra in 10 mans, and 60 FPS on High with DX9, but I have to run TOR at low settings in order to get my 60, which is completely absurd...
    I heard this is something that the developers don't want to talk about but seriously, this is stupid.
    But to the point, has anyone found a way to get up to 60FPS on high settings without having to run two-top of the line video cards on a stationary PC? I mean I am not bothered much but its a little annoying.
    Just play the PTR instead of live if you want high fps.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

I get 90+ FPS on my single GTX 580 with all settings maxed.

Your card is hardly top of the line and that 3GB of video ram is near useless. Next time grab, for example, a 560m/570m with 1.5gb.

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    One thing to remember is that TOR is more CPU intensive than it is GPU intensive. That being said, stick around for 1.2. You'll be happy to hear that a point has been done to optimize the engine and that FPS has gotten a lot better.
    Last edited by Dakia; 2012-03-27 at 11:55 AM.

3GB Nvidia GeForce 555m

top of the line???

10+ Year Old Account
    A Black Land of Sorcery and Nameless Horror
    not seen any problems myself. laptops are usually sub optimal for gaming though, could be heat? the general tone of your post is fairly negative so im not sure how seriously to take you tbh. how about posting a screen shot of your fps and settings.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by soulcrusher View Post
    not seen any problems myself. laptops are usually sub optimal for gaming though, could be heat? the general tone of your post is fairly negative so im not sure how seriously to take you tbh. how about posting a screen shot of your fps and settings.
    Laptops gpus especially the high end ones can take a lot of punishment before shutting down, and afaik they do not downclock (only the Gtx 580m in the alienware does, when hitting the temp of 74c).

As Dakia said the game is MUCH more cpu intensive an example of this is in wz, while the gpu load is between 10% - 20% the Cpu load is about 70%, resulting in me having shitty fps, that said i have a crap cpu while having an average card, the 570m (Oced to 801 Core/1850 Mem).

The only time I get FPS issues are when I'm running TOR full screen windowed while watching a TV/movie or running WoW on the other monitor, also fullscreen windowed

Pit Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Stop comparing it to WoW. The WoW engine could run on an overclocked turd because it's 7 years old. If your standard is WoW you're doing it wrong. Computers don't work that way.

You said your laptop has a 3GHz CPU in it. But which one? This is most likely your bottleneck. 3GHz is fast, but if it's not multi-core and doesn't have the latest instruction set you're handicapping yourself. This game is very CPU intensive.

Start by disabling shadows. They're the enemy of framerate in this game. I play with shadows OFF on a GTX 460 with all other settings at their maximum and it's like butter, even in PVP and operations. Try it and see if there's any change.

My specs:
    Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHz (AKA the first Core i7)
    12GB DDR3 triple channel
    GeForce GTX 460 768MB (not even 1GB)

This is a beautiful freaking game. I'm constantly stopping to take screenshots. Turn your graphics up!
    ^ The above should be taken with two grains of salt and a fistful of "chill the F* out".

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Switch to playing on the public test server. Patch 1.2 being tested implements high resolution textures and graphics engine optimization.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-...M.41933.0.html
    Star Wars: The Old Republic (2011)
    low: 71.8 fps Compare
    high: 35.2 fps Compare
    ultra: 21.1 fps Compare

WOW is a much older engine you cant compare it to wow.
    Laptops are not great for gaming.
    Im sure the devs are trying hard to fix performance on this game, its in their best interest to.

I get 90-111fps fsx16 aax8 most setting on high on a GTX570, the game could us some tweaking but its still working well for me.

Deleted
    There have been hundreds of pages of debates on exactly this issue.

SWTOR performance is "hit and miss" even with the best of PCs. There is something really odd about the engine that causes even the most powerful gaming rigs in the world to stutter in warzones and Ilum. Patch 1.2 should alleviate the issue to an extent but don't expect wonders.

It will take months, possibly even years before the SWTOR engine finally performs at the level you'd expect from an MMO engine.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showt...ght=horrid+fps

Practical tips for increasing FPS include:
    -Creating a RAM disk (only if you have 6+GB of RAM)
    -Turning off Shadows in game
    -Activating compatibility mode for SWTOR
    -Getting an SSD

But none of these is entirely reliable. I personally found that none of the graphics options has a significant impact on my performance. I have a 5-10 FPS difference between low and max settings.
    Last edited by mmoc433ceb40ad; 2012-03-27 at 11:24 PM.

I'm running an Intel I-5 3.4....8gig RAM...and a Nvidia 550 Ti
    I have never had any problems...80-100 fps on high settings....no lag...load screens are fine...guess I'm an exception to the rule?

10+ Year Old Account
    lost somewhere in the corn fields of middle America
    What ever there doing with 1.2 seems to have smoothed the game out a lot as well. My guildies all report marked fps improvement and beyond that just a over all noticeable smoothness to the game so I am excited to see that. Myself I don't have any issues to speak of so yeah, it seems to be just some. My system is decent but not top of the line and I never experience the issues you seem to be having.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakia View Post
    One thing to remember is that TOR is more CPU intensive than it is GPU intensive. That being said, stick around for 1.2. You'll be happy to hear that a point has been done to optimize the engine and that FPS has gotten a lot better.
    I would think they would be making a big deal about that, but I guess that would mean they would have to admit how poorly it was done in the first place. Be sad if they finally get the performance issues fixed and everybody that left for that reason specifically has already moved on.

Better late than never I guess.
    I like sandwiches

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Roose View Post
    I would think they would be making a big deal about that, but I guess that would mean they would have to admit how poorly it was done in the first place. Be sad if they finally get the performance issues fixed and everybody that left for that reason specifically has already moved on.

Better late than never I guess.
    They have done both. They released fixes in a three patch schedule with largely fixed a lot of the input issues and lag problems. The final optimization appears to be in 1.2. Part of the problem with the engine was that, from what I have heard, they did not have the final version that is now out for release from Hero.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakia View Post
    They have done both. They released fixes in a three patch schedule with largely fixed a lot of the input issues and lag problems. The final optimization appears to be in 1.2. Part of the problem with the engine was that, from what I have heard, they did not have the final version that is now out for release from Hero.
    I hope that isnt the final optimization, cause its still far from optimal

Pit Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellfury View Post
    We'll see.

At some point you need to be willing to accept the possibility that it's your computer that's the problem, and not the game. That will be doubly true when (or if) the client is running smoothly for most people in 1.2.
    ^ The above should be taken with two grains of salt and a fistful of "chill the F* out".

Quote Originally Posted by Hellfury View Post
    Blizzard is optimizing 7 years after release. There is never a final optimization short of the mmo dying.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

I must have a miracle computer because I get 40-60 fps almost all the time (except it dips down to like 20-25 in fleet) and I am running with high AA, most settings high and at 1920x1080. Something happened a patch or two that almost erased any video lag I had and I am running an old 2.4ghz Core2Quad Q6600 with 6 gb ddr2 and a 560 ti. Boggles my mind how these people with 6 core cpus and uber vid cards get lower frames than I do.