Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    By the way, I used to have poor performance. Found out my CPU was overheating because of the additional stress this game causes. I can play BF3 with no issues. I used to think it wasnt my computer until I figured this out. I increased air flow and now I no longer have any problems. Sure its the games poor coding and resource management, but it was also my computer. Take that for what its worth.
    Games like BF3 aren't nearly as CPU intensive as MMOs though. If you had issues with BF3 with high end hardware, of course it would be an issue like overheating or faulty components/drivers. When you start playing an MMO, optimization is everything. I have a shit PC that I built 2 years ago for cheap, out of old parts, and I can turn any non-MMO game I play up to max settings and it plays like a champ.

But MMOs are a lot harder on your hardware.

2.8 Ghz pentium e5500 Dual Core
    1x4GB Supertalent DDR3 @ 10600
    ASUS ENGTS 450 1 GB DDR5 Direct CU

SWTOR also ran better for me in the Beta, especially WZs and FPs. Post launch, I'd get 30-60 FPS on highest settings while running around questing, then it would drop to 5-10 FPS in WZs and FPs even on low.

Definitely an optimization issue.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eroginous View Post
    But MMOs are a lot harder on your hardware.
    Uhhh no try again. The fact that hardware moves 3-4 generations from the day development starts on a MMO to the day its actually released means that MMO's are never harder on your machine than the bleeding edge single player games. Thats fact.

Definitely an optimization issue.
    Optimization is only part of it as Ive have stated multiple times.

Uhhh no try again. The fact that hardware moves 3-4 generations from the day development starts on a MMO to the day its actually released means that MMO's are never harder on your machine than the bleeding edge single player games. Thats fact.
    This is incorrect. Most 'bleeding edge' single player games are GPU intensive but don't push your CPU that hard or require a buttload of ram. That's why I can run Crysis 2 and Skyrim on the highest possible graphics settings and maintain 60 fps with no slow down on my machine @ 1080p, but if I turn up Wow to ultra settings and visit Org/SW on a populated server, my FPS drops to shit.

Wow doesn't actually need a high end GPU, it prefers a higher end CPU and more ram. Same with SWTOR, and other 'sandbox' type MMOs.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is incorrect. Most 'bleeding edge' single player games are GPU intensive but don't push your CPU that hard or require a buttload of ram. That's why I can run Crysis 2 and Skyrim on the highest possible graphics settings and maintain 60 fps with no slow down on my machine @ 1080p, but if I turn up Wow to ultra settings and visit Org/SW on a populated server, my FPS drops to shit.

Wow doesn't actually need a high end GPU, it prefers a higher end CPU and more ram. Same with SWTOR, and other 'sandbox' type MMOs.
    WoW is never a good example. The game is fully optimized and the engine and games age allows the game to be played on low end machines. SWTOR is the only MMO I have seen that utilizes the CPU like it does on higher end chips, BF3 can utilize multi cores to spread its load but across all 4 cores the load is higher to that of one core when running SWTOR. Its far more intensive on the CPU than you realize, SWTOR's issue is the lack of multicore support making it far more CPU intensive than it needs to be. Skyrim is also very heavy on the CPU, your GPU is not keeping track of everything going on in the world thats the CPU.

In any event, Ive learned my lesson trying to argue with people around here so if you don't agree that's fine, I really don't need to convince you. As I said, I fixed my problem and have been fully enjoying playing SWTOR with 60+ FPS and 30+ in Fleet by making a simple change to my case cooling. I look forward to even better performance as the client is optimized. Remember, optimization is a 2 way street.
    Last edited by philefluxx; 2012-03-29 at 10:13 PM.

Deleted
    1.2 people are talking about massive fps bumps (30 on live 80 on pts) so i'd say your good to go.

The game performs much worse than Rift. Providing that time between releases was less than 1 year, it's clearly a negligence sign.

Don't bring another game into this thread, there's no need for it. If you can't contribute to the actual topic then don't try and derail it, just move on. ~Rag
    Last edited by Ragnarocket; 2012-03-30 at 02:10 AM.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Here is what I get on my system

Intel i5 750 (@4Ghz) Cooler master V8 heatsink
    Gigabyte GA-H55-USB3 - Corsair Force 3 SSD 120GB
    Gigabyte GTX570 SuperOC - Benq 120hz LED Monitor
    8GB Corsair - Windows 7 64Bit

AA is set to Multisample

[Renderer]
    AntiAliasingLevel = 4
    Buckets = 3
    doShadows = false
    doBlobShadows = false
    D3DFullScreen = true
    DynamicLightsLimit = 4
    FarClipScale = 3.9371195
    GraphicsDeviceId = 4230
    Height = 1080
    MeshLODQuality = 1
    NativeHeight = 1080
    NativeWidth = 1920
    PlantDensity = 80
    RefreshRate = 120
    TextureAnisotropy = 16
    Width = 1920
    WindowX = 0
    WindowY = 0
    TextureQuality = 0
    ShaderSet = 9
    VerticalSyncState = true
    DebugAdvEnviroLighting = true
    enableadvenvirolighting = true
    EnableBloom = true

[Game]
    MoviesFolder = ..\..\Movies
    SwtorRegKey = SOFTWARE\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic

Edited for thumbnails. Please read this guide and don't post large images ~ Dakia
    Last edited by Dakia; 2012-03-30 at 10:04 AM.

Deleted
    Phileflux, can you explain to me how there is NO FPS DIFFERENCE between very low settings and high settings in wz?

WoW is never a good example.
    Wow is a good example of how the more players connected to a game client, the more a game utilizes things other than the GPU. Which is essentially the difference between MMOs and single player 'bleeding edge' games.

A perfect example is how my POS computer that I posted above, runs Crysis 2 on highest settings @ 1080p, but then I run Wow on highest settings same resolution, I go to Org or SW where there are 50+ people just chillin, and my PC lags to shit and I get maybe 15 FPS.

Why on earth would Wow run like that on my PC when Crysis 2 runs so much better?

The answer is that MMOs (especially the sandbox type) are just so much more hardware intensive than single player games.