Thread: Elbow pain!

Elbow pain!

This is gonna be difficult to describe in english but ill give it a try.

A few months ago i used to gym regularly but something happened and i had to take a break from it. To not get to out of shape i bought some dumbells that i got laying around in my appartment. A few days ago i just got the urge to see if i could pull off my old sets. I did 40 straight arm pull ups with a 12kg dumbell on each arm. I made it and ofc i got very tired afterwards. The next day i got such immense pain in my muscle joints in the elbow. Its nothing close to normal gym pain. My arm pretty much feel contracted 24/7 and in a 90* shape by its own. If i try to straighten my arm it feels like my joints is gonna burst from the pain, however i can get it straight after a few minutes of pain. Its been 4 days now and im abit worried.

So the question is: Should i try to get it straight and keep it like that as much as i can or should i just leave it in a pleasant position and hope for it to heal?

I want to avoid tearing it (if i haven't already) or getting any other problems but i have never felt this pain before..

P.S

Yes it was retarded of me to go straight back to the same weights like that..

You did pull ups with weights attached to your arms? Typically weighted pull ups are done with the weight on a weight belt or dumbbell held between your legs. Do you mean bicep curls?

Quote Originally Posted by Projali View Post
    You did pull ups with weights attached to your arms? Typically weighted pull ups are done with the weight on a weight belt or dumbbell held between your legs. Do you mean bicep curls?

Yes. I am not used to the "gym terms" in english so i just tried to describe it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Go see a doctor? Not to sound nasty, but I don't get why you're asking this on a internet forum when it is clearly something you should be consulting a doctor about.

Deleted
    Keep it pleasant.
    You probably have a bursitis. Inflamed sack, which otherwise is supposed to lessen the muscle/tendons friction against the bone, and other precious elements.

Quote Originally Posted by d3v View Post
    Go see a doctor? Not to sound nasty, but I don't get why you're asking this on a internet forum when it is clearly something you should be consulting a doctor about.

I am currently inbetween jobs. If i can avoid a nasty doctors bill, i will

Quote Originally Posted by jizzit View Post
    Keep it pleasant.
    You probably have a bursitis. Inflamed sack, which otherwise is supposed to lessen the muscle/tendons friction against the bone, and other precious elements.
    Caveat: I'm not a doctor (lol premed). Go see a physician if the pain is serious or doesn't lessen over a few days.

Bursitis in the elbow tends to come from trauma or infection, not overuse. OP, do you have swelling at the tip of your elbow? That would help indicate bursitis.

It's most likely a bad tendonitis. Typically with tears you feel a pretty severe pain when it happens. You seem to feel the most pain when you extend it, which is common with people who have tennis elbow. It's an overuse injury.

Rest, Ice, Compress and Elevate (above heart level). Typical ice regimen is 15minutes on, 30 off. Anti-inflammatories can help but time and rest are your best assets with a tendon injury.

Again, I'm not a doctor. Go see a physician for a real diagnosis.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazz View Post
    I am currently inbetween jobs. If i can avoid a nasty doctors bill, i will
    May I ask where you live? Is seeing a doctor that expensive? If the pain is that bad I'd seriously consider seeing one, I mean you don't want to make things worse by not getting it diagnosed and treated.

Caveat: I'm not a doctor (lol premed). Go see a physician if the pain is serious or doesn't lessen over a few days.

Bursitis in the elbow tends to come from trauma or infection, not overuse. OP, do you have swelling at the tip of your elbow? That would help indicate bursitis.

It's most likely a bad tendonitis. Typically with tears you feel a pretty severe pain when it happens. You seem to feel the most pain when you extend it, which is common with people who have tennis elbow. It's an overuse injury.

Rest, Ice, Compress and Elevate (above heart level). Typical ice regimen is 15minutes on, 30 off. Anti-inflammatories can help but time and rest are your best assets with a tendon injury.

Again, I'm not a doctor. Go see a physician for a real diagnosis.
    Cheers mate. Ill try what you said and give it another day. If it doesnt work ill visit a doctor. And no, there is no perticular swelling on my elbows. If you imadgin flexing your biceps without acctually doing it.. thats pretty much how it is. Its like it got stuck on the way down >.<

Deleted
    Anti-inflammatories can help but time and rest are your best assets with a tendon injury.

As long as you don't take the NSAID's (anti-inflammatory, such as Ibuprofen) for more than two days, MAX 3! As it will halter the healing-process.

Bursitis is often seen (at least in my part of the country) in people working at the butchery, doing a lift above the head (shoulder bursitis in this case), or garden -people, scraping their knee all day long after a winter break. But yes, the cause is most often those that you described. but didn't seem to be the case here