Crazy load times..

On my old computer which was a (Core 2 3.8 ghz, 4gb DDR2 ram and 5770 radeon) it would take me 5 mins to load into Tatooine and every place except for Ilum above..

So now I have this new pc (i7 3930k oc 4.6ghz~, 16gb DDR3 1866 mhz and MSI 7950) and it takes exactly the same time!

I moved my HDD from my old pc and currently use it as a 'spare' (SSD for OS) my old pc used vista 32 bit. I'm wondering if anyone can pinpoint the possible problem here? Perhaps some configuration is wrong..

Load time is generally based on harddrive read time and transfer rates. If you moved the old HD over from your old PC, and kept the game on there, then it wouldn't load any faster at all regardless of the machine. Now, toss the game on the SSD and watch it fly

Quote Originally Posted by Saltypoison View Post
    Load time is generally based on harddrive read time and transfer rates. If you moved the old HD over from your old PC, and kept the game on there, then it wouldn't load any faster at all regardless of the machine. Now, toss the game on the SSD and watch it fly
    man it just aint worth the money of a SSD for faster load times lol. I did a complete revamp of my PC for TOR but when it came to the SSDs I just had to pass.

OP....... yea the load times DO suck ass but i just grab a drink, go bio or job hunt on the net while waiting lol

Quote Originally Posted by Saltypoison View Post
    The game is not that much faster on an SSD. During the loading screen, the SSD is hardly accessed at all. Most of the wait time is from CPU usage and network traffic. You can use a utility to watch the read/write speeds of your SSD/HDD during load screens...I've never seen transfer rates go above 10MB/s on my SSD that I've seen do 300MB/s on regular transfers.

Where the SSD really shines is while recording HD videos in-game. I have a spindle drive that I record videos on to. Previously while recording on a spindle drive and playing on that same drive, my performance in-game would drop dramatically during high-movement scenes. Once I popped the SSD in and recorded to a separate drive, I have no lag or performance issues at all when recording in 1080 HD.

I wish I could tell you how to improve your shit, it seems some people with excellent machines still have performance issues, while some people with just regular old mid-range machines can play the game fine. Patch 1.2 has really improved on peformance, so I'd stick with it.

I'd suggest updating any video drivers and going to Nvidia!!!

Quote Originally Posted by WoWGoneBad View Post
    OP....... yea the load times DO suck ass but i just grab a drink, go bio or job hunt on the net while waiting lol
    I don't mind the load times cause I would just alt-tab, but with my comp if I alt-tab while loading it gets stupid and stops loading.

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Koalachan View Post
    I don't mind the load times cause I would just alt-tab, but with my comp if I alt-tab while loading it gets stupid and stops loading.
    Play in fullscreen windowed. This will not minimize the game and force a reload when you bring it back to the primary task.

Quote Originally Posted by Koalachan View Post
    i noticed that the game has done that to me as well from time to time

Quote Originally Posted by rdj View Post
    The game is not that much faster on an SSD. During the loading screen, the SSD is hardly accessed at all. Most of the wait time is from CPU usage and network traffic. You can use a utility to watch the read/write speeds of your SSD/HDD during load screens...I've never seen transfer rates go above 10MB/s on my SSD that I've seen do 300MB/s on regular transfers.
    Ah, fair enough. OP said he was using an SSD, but just for the OS (as I understood it). Figured it was a probable bottleneck if the old HDD was the common factor.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I cut load times in wow from over 1 min to 15 seconds. I cant say for SWTOR as I already had SSD when I installed the game.

For me SSD was a great improvement.

Load times on SWTOR are slower then wow but i havent timed how long it is but its well under a minute for me.

If you moved you old HDD over and are still running SWTOR on it then thats your problem. HDD are bottlenecks, they are the slowest components in your computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakia View Post
    Play in fullscreen windowed. This will not minimize the game and force a reload when you bring it back to the primary task.
    I play in windowed. Not even full screen windowed, just windowed. Slightly better FPS, and less problems when alt-tabbing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by WoWGoneBad View Post
    man it just aint worth the money of a SSD for faster load times lol. I did a complete revamp of my PC for TOR but when it came to the SSDs I just had to pass.

Then set 2 drives up in Raid 0.. Massive difference.

This game brought back memories of playing games from floppy disks. Needless to say those were memories I could do without. With that out of the way I did find one thing curious with regards to load times. The world is apparently rendered with other players even drawn in by the time the bars is just past one third across the screen.

How I found that out was when I was playing through a virtual machine; I use Parallels 7 on OS X at times to play Windows games, mostly when I am just patching them or just want to check auctions/etc/friends. Anyway, since I usually keep the Windows VM is a window; by the way it does not know its in a window - it thinks its full screeen; I sometimes want change the size of it. Once when I did this while SWTOR was loading a new world it did not properly redraw the full window, I had a strip along the bottom where the Windows task bar is that was blank. Well low and behold, just past the one third mark in loading some random world I could see people and other items fly on by where my character was.

Bizarre. There is something seriously wrong with their loading routine where gamers look to SSD or striped arrays just to get it back where it should be.
    iMac
    2012-03-05 : The day SWTOR jumped the shark
    Mages are basically "warlocks for girls" - Kerrath

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroWashu View Post

Bizarre. There is something seriously wrong with their loading routine where gamers look to SSD or striped arrays just to get it back where it should be.
    It was bound to happen. HDD´s have been a serious bottleneck in systems for years.

I have to agree with some of the other posters here, putting SWTOR on an SSD makes virtually no difference, in performance or load time, I have personally tried it with 2 different systems one with a kingston SSD and the other with an OCZ SSD, both of which make other games run fantastic, including other MMO's. to sum it up the game engine just sucks. you will see posts here and on official saying I have X CPU and Y amount of RAM and Z SSD drive and I get 60 to 90 FPS on fleet and warzones and my game loads up in 30 seconds planet side, these people are full of shit. they do it for attention or to make other people think their system is the issue. take any kind of great performance claim with a very large pinch of salt.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    I personally didn't see a recognizable difference in load times between having my Star Wars folder on my SSD or one of my HDD's. Some games are impacted by SSD's more so than others. Comparing WoW on a SSD to an HDD and the difference is recognizable straight away. Such is the way of the software / hardware industry.

My favorite is being able to hear ambient and character sounds at 1/2 loading bar, knowing the world has been loaded. I have a feeling it's just a horribly inefficient way to start rendering the world.

I also get the black screen (aside from UI) when I first log in for about 3-5 minutes with my first toon.

Tried with both HDD and SSD, on WoW the difference was immense, maybe like no other game out there. On SWTOR, I couldn't even notice the difference. For the record, it takes about 1 minute from the moment i press PLAY on the login window until I can control my character in-game. I'm on a 3.3Ghz Core 2 Duo.