Page 1 of 20
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Why are Men Depicted as Stupid in Modern Advertisements?

There seems to be a trend with a majority of commercials. It involves men doing something stupid and appearing to be, overall, less intelligent to the Female counterpart in the Advertisement.

Where did this all stem from? I can honestly say i'm pretty befuddled by this. Does society like the idea of men being stupid?

Here are a few examples.

This only scratches the surface. This is just plaguing the Ad business these days..... seriously... what the flying fuck?
    Last edited by golds; 2012-03-27 at 09:31 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I dunno dude. You're on quite the commercial kick huh?

White Males 18-50 are easy targets. You can pretty much say anything about them and they dont care. /shrug

because making fun of men is not sexist in any way and appeals to the women who massively eat that shit up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    The evidence for leprechauns is immense - do you know how many socks dissappear on the world scale... This means that the chance of leprechauns exists is the same as them not existing - therefore you cannot deny their existence

This seems to be rather common on TV in general. Need proof? Look at just about ANY SitCom made int he last 15 years. the formula is simple. Fat, stupid husband always being stupid and childish...bailed out by hot, modern woman.

Deleted
    As poser765 says, this theme isn't exclusive to commercials...

Though I can't say I care one bit nor have I ever even thought about that.

Deleted
    Because, feminism.

Because the concept in all those commercials needed a comedic foil, and if it were about women being stupid the products would be boycott.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nnelson54 View Post
    Because the concept in all those commercials needed a comedic foil, and if it were about women being stupid the products would be boycott.
    Exactly. If the women were being the "dumb ones" the product won't sell. It would be the kids, but they're too busy being the know-it-alls by today's standards. The only person left is the husband/eldest male.

Deleted
    because most men don't give a shit and if school taught me anything it's that females are amused by petty things like this

10+ Year Old Account
    most likely a woman wrote them

GoGo Double Standards.
    Aku, Soku, Zan

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    There's no big mystery, because most young people act stupid but men's stupidity is more noticeable due to... double standards.
    Last edited by Vizardlorde; 2012-03-27 at 09:54 PM.

Deleted
    because men dont really care when they're insulted i guess :P

Golds, I suspect of your 434 posts, at least 400 are the OP to a thread you've started.

10+ Year Old Account
    2 reasons
    Women go shopping more often
    Men aren't offended easily

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Same situation like when in every single cartoon mother is more inteligent parent with much better job while father is generally gold hearthed moron. It's okay but if you switched them then it would be "sexist and unacceptable".

10+ Year Old Account
    Because political correctness doesn't apply to young to middle aged white males.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    I just realized the meaning behind your avatar.

/shiver

The vast majority of writers in the media are men. You'd better ask them why they think men are so stupid.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    Same situation like when in every single cartoon mother is more inteligent parent with much better job while father is generally gold hearthed moron. It's okay but if you switched them then it would be "sexist and unacceptable".

Too true. The human race is funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Providence View Post
    because making fun of men is not sexist in any way and appeals to the women who massively eat that shit up.
    ^ This

Aren't double standards fun?

If you swapped the male for a female in any of those commercials the country would be in cinders from all of the burning bras. I've never understood the concept of burning bras either, the garment is there to assist those with larger chests and remove the strain from the shoulders and redistribute the weight. An equivalently absurd gesture is older people who have issues with walking and keeping their balance burning their canes and walkers when they get upset over their age.