Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The answer to your question is probably societal. You may want to ask a social scientist for an answer. Not sure you could ever get an honest answer though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    SEXISM!!! RAGE!!!

Maybe because stupid is funny?
    If a woman was portrayed as stupid, feminists would get up in arms about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Puck View Post
    I find it quite disheartening that I got an erection just by reading "Cowboy boots".
    Quote Originally Posted by Anodur View Post
    The greatest generation is long dead? Last I checked, Miley Cyrus, Kanye West, Rebecca Black, and One Direction are all still kickin'...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frostyqt View Post
    These advertisements are geared towards women. I wouldn't buy any of these products (I'm a guy).
    This, i have no interest in what laundry detergent or sandwhich bags i buy

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't see where the problem is. Creative ads where the goal is to make publicity and people laugh. Now if you cannot handle the fact that us, as men, can also get stereotyped, this probably mean you need to check your priorities.

This is sexism against men this calls for immediate boycott

Quote Originally Posted by Olianda View Post
    If a woman was portrayed as stupid, feminists would get up in arms about it.
    If men were as likely to get up in arms, the male idiot character archetype would cease to exist. If society changes enough, there may eventually come a time when men become humiliated or emasculated enough that they will actively protest this stereotype. But right now most men are confident enough with their masculinity that they don't care.

By the way, it's not really just women protesting that inhibits the negative portrayal of women on TV, it's the fact that doing so would lose companies business. Even if nobody decided to protest, there would still be negative impacts of such a commercial. Women (and many men) would become offended and, whether or not they actively protest the company, they would refuse to do business with it. People protesting a company is a PR issue; people not wanting to buy from a company is a business issue. Both the business and the PR would suffer by showing negative female stereotypes, whereas neither suffers much if at all from showing negative male stereotypes.

Deleted
    In my experience it's because adverts are largely created by boring, stupid people who write in boring stupid characters of either gender into their adverts. I mean look at this:

Annoying and ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Providence View Post
    http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...elligent-women
    http://www.thedailybeast.com/newswee...he-thinks.html

yes women are superior than men in some things and men are superior than women in some things. the odd thing is that women tend less to taught this fact when it goes against them trying to perform unless it becomes clear that that particular woman just isn't good. ever heard of the song "anything you can do I can do better"? the same ideal that women are not only equal to men in every avenue, but actually are somehow better. some women believe that women are just as strong or stronger then men physically, just as smart or smarter than men, and just as caring if not more so than men. while there are men believe these false claims as well, no one takes the men seriously, while women have a relatively large following by other women and men as well believing them to be the pinnacle of the human race.
    First off, thank you for the links, they were very interesting.
    I understand what you mean now, thank you for explaining it.
    I really think all these ideas are social problems.
    I had something to say to agreement.. but honestly my brain just blew up or something and I can't think anymore -.-
    Friends: Will help you move.
    Best Friends: Will help you move the Bodies

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Canada,we've got freedom too, except we don't pretend to be american when we travel.
    Quote Originally Posted by DuckieMage View Post
    I do believe you have miss-understood what Feminism is.
    Feminism is believing everyone is equal in all ways.
    It doesn't mean a woman is smart than a man, or a man is smarter than a women.

There are just as many, if not more, commercial that depict women as lesser than men or that a woman's place is in the household. I dare you to look at any commercial for Detergent, Dryers, Washing Machines, Clothing Softener, Dishes, and most in-house cooking appliance. You will find they are aimed at women. They feature women, not men.
    In all these commercials, they take place in-side the house. This is considered the woman's sphere. It shows that women have power inside their households. This can be considered sexist in itself, because that means a man has no power or intelligent thought when it comes to the house.

You can look at ANY commercial these days and go, "That's sexist."
    YOU ARE A LIER or really fooled. Feminism is about securing privilage for woman over everyone else on the planet >.<
    "There are other sites on the internet designed for people to make friends or relationships. This isn't one" Darsithis Super Moderator
    Proof that the mmochamp community can be a bitter and lonely place. What a shame.

15+ Year Old Account
    Love how if there is a commerical with a female being ditzy theres a huge out cry from feminest groups got to love double standards.
    Chaotic Serenity - US Frostmourne Alliance 13/13 Mythic

Quote Originally Posted by DuckieMage View Post
    First off, thank you for the links, they were very interesting.
    I understand what you mean now, thank you for explaining it.
    I really think all these ideas are social problems.
    I had something to say to agreement.. but honestly my brain just blew up or something and I can't think anymore -.-
    yea there are definitely a lot of social problems. some men still regard women as nothing more than sexual objects and some women still regard men as complete idiots. fortunately a lot of these stigmas are changing and men and women are treating each other a bit better but still not as good as it could be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    The evidence for leprechauns is immense - do you know how many socks dissappear on the world scale... This means that the chance of leprechauns exists is the same as them not existing - therefore you cannot deny their existence

LOL ill just eat a bag..

the fibre one commercials hilarious..

the simple reason is men know they arent totally retarded and dont mind being made fun of in commericals, movies, or whatever.. just look at Monty Python as a prime example. or Faulty Towers

its very common to see the stereotypical male drunk portrayed in films.. rarely will u ever see a dumb female character. because women would get in a knot over it.
    Last edited by announced; 2012-03-28 at 02:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    YOU ARE A LIER or really fooled. Feminism is about securing privilage for woman over everyone else on the planet >.<
    You are such a troll.
    Friends: Will help you move.
    Best Friends: Will help you move the Bodies

10+ Year Old Account
    It's because in most families, women do the shopping. It's as simple as that. The advertisers aren't trying to convince the men or the kids, they're trying to convince the person who actually spends the money in the family. But really, there are courses and books on this. I won't even bother getting too much into this, because I could write a whole essay on it.

White men run America for the most part, the least we can do is let commercials mock us.

10+ Year Old Account
    I enjoy your contributions to this forum golds, you always have interesting topics. (not sarcasm)

---------- Post added 2012-03-28 at 02:29 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    Same situation like when in every single cartoon mother is more inteligent parent with much better job while father is generally gold hearthed moron. It's okay but if you switched them then it would be "sexist and unacceptable".
    Pretty much sums it up.

Retribution for all the stereotypical WASP-esq advertising of the 50s and 60s maybe?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Forfax View Post
    tbh it isn't funny... we should do something about it instead of simply not caring shouldn't we? The commercial are teaching the young generation that we're stupid.
    In the end we're the losing one.
    Nah, just makes it funny when they get a rude awakening after the realization we rule this country.

Quote Originally Posted by Roggles View Post
    Nah, just makes it funny when they get a rude awakening after the realization we rule this country.
    what we? I don't rule anything and I certainly don't "rule" over women.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    The evidence for leprechauns is immense - do you know how many socks dissappear on the world scale... This means that the chance of leprechauns exists is the same as them not existing - therefore you cannot deny their existence

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Providence View Post
    what we? I don't rule anything and I certainly don't "rule" over women.
    Never said we rule women specifically. And I guess I should have worded myself better, but I meant most of the top jobs like ceos, senators, governors, etc etc are taken by men. Saying "rule" was more of a hyperbole, but oh well.