Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    feminism implies it is ONLY women - humanism implies going to equality from both sides...
    No it doesn't. That's all you.

There's not really any significant wide-spread gender imbalance in the western world.
    Quite the privileged claim. Wage gaps and occupational sexism are still widespread. The glass ceiling is still strong. Women are still underrepresented in government. There is serious sexism in society still, though really you gotta worry about dopey guys in ads.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Diurdi View Post
    No, no, you've misunderstood "equality". For true equality to be achieved women need to hold a privilegied position for a couple centuries to balance out historical male dominance.
    When women don't mind paying for the check on a date or when the "women and children first" rule gets abolished we will obtain true equality, until then, it is impossible with the current people of this world due to how the media would take it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Naidia View Post
    When women don't mind paying for the check on a date or when the "women and children first" rule gets abolished we will obtain true equality, until then, it is impossible with the current people of this world due to how the media would take it.
    Or maybe you realize that "true equality" in every possible way is not only impossible, but not even desireable?

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    When men are equally discriminated against maybe you'll have a point.
    because the best way to fix inequality is to be childish and do what they did to you?
    The evidence for leprechauns is immense - do you know how many socks dissappear on the world scale... This means that the chance of leprechauns exists is the same as them not existing - therefore you cannot deny their existence

Yes men picking up the bill on a date is truly what is holding gender relations back.

Quite the privileged claim. Wage gaps and occupational sexism are still widespread. The glass ceiling is still strong. Women are still underrepresented in government. There is serious sexism in society still, though really you gotta worry about dopey guys in ads.
    no it's not. where are these legit wage claims in the USA where the exact same job causes a man to magically earn more? what are these "glass ceilings" you are referring too? I MIGHT give you underrepresented by the government, but you know that the MAJORITY of the populace is underrepresented by the government. it's not JUST women, and there are some men who are underrepresented.

What "serious" sexism is in society? thats right. none.
    The evidence for leprechauns is immense - do you know how many socks dissappear on the world scale... This means that the chance of leprechauns exists is the same as them not existing - therefore you cannot deny their existence

Ill just clarify here - Feminism is creating equal opportunities for women not about creating equality for everyone like the poster i quoted said

the ones that puzzles me the most are The Home Depot commercials....they employ this "stupid man" gimmick, and its a hardware store. i guess they think if they put a man down he will need to compensate by buying stuff? Same with the Denis Leary Quaker state oil commercials from a few years back, he basically said "if you dont use quaker state oil you're and idiot".

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jaykaywhy View Post
    Wow, really? Males pretty much rule the world in almost every aspect, and you're letting something like this twist your panties?

Grow a pair and toughen up.
    Sadly they do not. Growing a pair is what gets them away from reality of the truth that woman have more power in a natural sense, than actual, meaningless power in government and other things like that. Men are hypnotized by boobies, they see one, instant boner, they cannot control it. The only way a man can do something like that to *some* woman is with money. Which of course very few men have. Thus meaning, woman have more power. Tada.

/giggle.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Diurdi View Post
    Or maybe you realize that "true equality" in every possible way is not only impossible, but not even desireable?
    Yeah, it's only desireable if it means picking up the advantages.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    lol I really don't care but yeah

White males are pretty much the only demographic that you can safely make fun of without fear of retribution.

And just like this thread points out, I as a white male really don't care!

I won't turn this into a pity party though because regardless of this trend (if you even call it a trend) it's not like our demographic has it hard by any means. It's like when I hear really right wing people saying that there is a war on religion and being christian is really hard in today's society. Media is fairly powerful and through its manipulative magic.. can somehow make the majority look like it's being treated like second class citizens. Because obviously it's hard being a christian and a white male in North America. We have it so hard!

Deleted
    You and your "omg privilegied claim".

Wage gaps are not a result of today's sexism. They are a result of those older women who are in the workforce having chosen different educational paths due to different social circumstances 40 years ago. Once you look at young women who enter the workforce, the gap is as good as gone.

Furthermore, women have more secure workplaces, which comes at a cost in wage. This is evident in recessions hitting male employment significantly harder.

Quote Originally Posted by Providence View Post
    no it's not. where are these legit wage claims in the USA where the exact same job causes a man to magically earn more

Study finds gender pay gap among lawyers for instance
    http://www.abajournal.com/news/artic...idsized_firms/

what are these "glass ceilings" you are referring too?
    If you don't know what the glass ceiling is then why are you attacking the idea that sexism exists in society?

Ill just clarify here - Feminism is creating equal opportunities for women not about creating equality for everyone like the poster i quoted said
    Feminism is about fixing centuries of oppression against women.

---------- Post added 2012-03-28 at 06:49 AM ----------

You and your "omg privilegied claim".

Wage gaps are not a result of today's sexism. They are a result of those older women who are in the workforce having chosen different educational paths due to different social circumstances 40 years ago. Once you look at young women who enter the workforce, the gap is as good as gone.
    See chart above. Gender pay gaps exist among the young as well, not just the old.

Furthermore, women have more secure workplaces, which comes at a cost in wage. This is evident in recessions hitting male employment significantly harder.
    Wage gaps exist even in equal work places, such as law, see above link.

meh 40 % of my parliment is women... Not that big of a difference really - 4 out of the 8 parties are lead by women

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh no. You didn't just go all activist against the oppression of men did you?

Don't be like the feminist movement, which started out great but has turned into a negative connotated word.

Guys aren't smart all the time. Let them portray us. It'll pass.

Study finds gender pay gap among lawyers for instance
    http://www.abajournal.com/news/artic...idsized_firms/
    what is that image even referring too? one job? 2 jobs? all jobs? is it the same job? across the board? I really can't make heads or tails out of that particular image.

secondly, the article doesn't state how many firms they looked at, whether or not the lawyers were actually doing the same job or why there is a stark difference. All it says is that SOME amount of lawyers in SOME amount of firms were having a difference in pay, therefore it MUST be a national thing.

If you don't know what the glass ceiling is then why are you attacking the idea that sexism exists in society?
    I'm not, I'd genuinely like to know what these glass ceilings are that you are referring too and how potent they are, because I haven't seen much of this sexism in my day to day life where women are being subjugated and oppressed. but maybe i'm just not looking hard enough.

They are depicted that way, and it is a stereotype.

Women are also depicted in negative ways which are stereotypes.

You might be outraged about the way men are shown because you think culture has turned on men. You might hate the way women are portrayed because you have a feminist viewpoint.

I myself find all the stereotypes stupid and counter-productive because I am a humanist.

Deleted
    See chart above. Gender pay gaps exist among the young as well, not just the old.
    That's an average of all employment. Women choose different jobs than men on average. If they choose lower-paying professions, that's hardly sexism is it? And as I noted, men usually choose jobs that have lower job security but higher wages.

Wage gaps exist even in equal work places, such as law, see above link.
    Another statistics fail. I pointed out that in a comparison of older women vs. older men, the older men will win out because women made poorer educational and professional choices due to social circumstances 40 years ago.

If you look at the gap between genders in the "Associates" subgroup, which will invariably consist of younger people, the gap is almost non-existant.

You linked nothing that is contrary to my claims.

Quote Originally Posted by hellosaltygoodness View Post
    there is sexism in advertisement. suck it up. do you think women enjoy seeing ourselves portrayed as people who do nothing but mop floors, cook, do laundry, or get naked to sell things to men?
    You absolutely CANNOT even complain about this unless you're at least 65 years of age, when tv DID show women as the stupid gender.
    "Cataclysm could have used more of Nozdormu. I think all he did was show up shirtless to Thrall's wedding."

-Anonymous priest

10+ Year Old Account
    Feminism is about fixing centuries of oppression against women.
    By trying to put the shoe on the other foot, more often than not.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow