Post Mouse movement issues? Pros & Cons

Hey guys"

Hastings here with a quick few questions, I would appreciate any input or tips .

I have been playing Swtor since the very hour of its release date, and was a 5 year WoW player. Now back when i played WoW, I believe I may have picked up a bad habit. I stopped using my keyboard for movement entirely and only used it for key bindings. Which means I relied on my mouse for ALL my movement. (Meaning I would just hold down my right/left mouse buttons to move, turn and adjust camera) this free'd up the letters "w,a,s,d,q,e" for more keybindings, which at the time I thought was a good idea. now in swtor this habit is haunting me, my main dmg keybindings currently are "1,2,3,4,5,q,w,a,s,d,f,g," then "+ shift" to all of them for twice as many. now because i only use my mouse for movement and turning I had to keybind "Target nearest enemy" to the letter "E" and tap "Tab" to change targets, because i was unable to target with my mouse. in PvE and while levelling a melee class I found no issue with this current keybinding and targeting set up.
    I'm not an idiot, I do know the disadvantages with this set up,
    such as:
    1. I no longer have strafing (all my characters are melee classes tho, so it is LESS necessary)
    2. If I wanted to target a foe that was NOT the closest, I had to stop moving and quickly use my mouse to target (although "tab" does cycle thro targets)
    3. I could not turn my camera WITHOUT turning my character
    4. and could not reverse

But I figured those were a small sacrifice for the comfortable keybinds of "q,w,e,a,s,d,". I also know the advantages of this setup.
    1. quick character turning for melee classes allowing you to get behind you target fast.
    2. smooth character turning allowing full control of the degree of the angles you turn at
    3. freeing up "q,w,e,a,s,d" for easy hand placement for dmg attacks.
    4. i could move any direction and keep attacking with all my attacks (unlike if u were turning with your "D" key and needed to use your "F" keybind)

But now in Swtor level 50 PvP I find it extra hard to target enemies that are on different levels/hights in hut ball and so on. So now considering the pros, and cons, and the fact I personally enjoy melee classes more.
    !!!Should I stick to my personal setup, where I am more comfortable and my muscle memory is already in place, or should I try to rebind all my attacks and go back to movement with my keyboard?!!!

Any and all of your input and suggestions are much appreciated, thank you for taking your time and reading my about issue, I thank you and I appreciate it.

- Hastings (50 sith jug - realm= crucible pits)

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    This thread was caught in the spam filter. I closed the three others that where made, but approved this one.

SWTOR was one of those games I had to go out and buy the Naga for. I would try going back to the "W A S D" and consider getting a Naga Mouse. Once you get use to the 12 buttons+ on the mouse you'd never go back.

Current Games: HearthStone, Eve Online, and World of Tanks
    Current Game: Final Fantasy XIV - "Hyperion" Server
    Current Game: Tera - "Valley of Titans" Server
    Current Game: WoW: MoP & Planetside 2 - BETA
    Current Game: SWTOR - "The Fatman" Server

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alka View Post
    SWTOR was one of those games I had to go out and buy the Naga for. I would try going back to the "W A S D" and consider getting a Naga Mouse. Once you get use to the 12 buttons+ on the mouse you'd never go back.
    I kind agree with this, but use esdf as your movement keys (frees up way more easily accessible keybinds) and get a better quality multi-button mouse like the M90 from corsair over the naga (of which I had 2 in less tan 5 months)

Pit Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Have you looked into something like this?

They don't make them anymore, but you may be able to find one on Ebay. There are plenty of other keypad options out there. Just a thought, since you seemed to be concerned with ergonomics, reach, and muscle memory.
    ^ The above should be taken with two grains of salt and a fistful of "chill the F* out".

Just move whatever you have one Q W and E to R T and Y and S to X. Leave A and D alone, you do not need keyboard to turn, only strafe and back-up really. That's how i have it set up anyway.

No matter what you do it will feel wonky at first, everytime I have made a change to my keybindings I notice this. You probably won't like it at first, but give your muscle memory a few nights to get used to it before giving up.
    Last edited by Lathais; 2012-03-29 at 02:32 PM.

Way back when I played CS I moved the 'wasd' to be 'esdf', this gives you a few more possible binds that feel natural. Personally I use 'esdf' to move and 'wrtgv' 'shift+wrtgv' 4,5 and 13 buttons on my mouse for abilities.

A mouse with 10 or more buttons is generally the answer to the problem though, allows you to move enough stuff on to it to make room for movement keys for your left hand.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alyssa View Post
    Way back when I played CS I moved the 'wasd' to be 'esdf', this gives you a few more possible binds that feel natural. Personally I use 'esdf' to move and 'wrtgv' 'shift+wrtgv' 4,5 and 13 buttons on my mouse for abilities.

A mouse with 10 or more buttons is generally the answer to the problem though, allows you to move enough stuff on to it to make room for movement keys for your left hand.
    Yeah I got a naga specifically for this game, and while it's taken me some time to get used to, I'm really liking it now. One thing that helped me make the adjustment was I made a new alt and didn't bind any abilities to the keyboard, which kind of forced me to use the mouse buttons and get used to it. Now I love it, because I have very few things bound to the keyboard, which means I am able to move freely, target freely, and still easily access every ability.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've got a g13, and I love it for this sort of thing. you get a thumb joystick for movement, and I use the top three rows for buttons, and the bottom for quality of life stuff (jump, some menus, etc). I'd recommend trying it out before you buy it if you can though, it can be uncomfortable for some people (imo, the buttons require more force to push than they should).
    Eire - 50 Balance and Kinetic Combat Shadow, Master Zhar Lestin server. Ace guild

I think some of the problem is the targeting system in SWTOR and less about moving with your mouse. The mouse over tab targeting is inconsistant and poor most of the time. I dont see a way I would ever sugguest to somebody that they should start to keyboard move aka turn on purpose. I know a lot of ppl turn A and D into strafe keys and Q and E into attack options. This way in the few momments you need to move with your keyboard you can without getting in the habit of always doing it. The movement system is a bit different in SWTOR then say WoW or Rift you can turn tighter and quicker by hitting q&d or a&e at the same time while in other games you just strafe in a circle. Maybe that change is enough for some to not move with your mouse but its still not for me.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Alyssa View Post

I think I will be purchasing a new"Razor" mouse tonight haha, I already have the "Razor Death adder" but it only gives my 2 extra buttons so the "Naga" will be a great improvement. thanks for the advice. all of you I really appreciate it!

I would think especially as a melee class not being able to strafe is a big disadvantage.