Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jersovic View Post
    I approve of this because the Shaolin drunken style fighting has nothing to do with drinking alcohol. In fact, Shaolin Temples prohibit alcohol, and monks are not permitted to consume alcohol. I also don't understand this "well fed, love of food" non-sense. You do realize that Shaolin Monks only eat until half full, right? Quite frankly, as a Chinese man, portraying Shaolin Monks as Alcoholic Pigs is offensive because it couldn't be further from the truth.

It would be the equivalent of naming the Death Knight class "Jewish Rabbi."
    Strangely enough, the Shaolin temples are not the only place that teaches martial arts.

I could school you on the love of food and alchohol references to monks, but quite frankly, consider you think all Shaolin Monk temples stop Alchohol and only eat a tiny amount shows how narrow minded you are.

True fact, They brew wine in a fair few temples.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Banzubie View Post
    The whole idea of a drunken brawler is half the reason I want to try a monk! If they take that out its kind of a dull spec...
    Yes, I too choose the class I play from the name of 2 abilities.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Scunosi View Post
    Maybe it's the fact that "Drunk X" would just start to sound repetitive? Hell, any Dwarf could show you a Drunken Haze, you don't see them naming abilities after it. This is a fantasy game after all, they tend to like to jazz things up.
    And confusing. Especially when you're new, having tostop and read to ensure you're pushing Drunken Haze as opposed to Drunken Strike is a pain.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Deleted
    Next thing you'll know, we'll be told it was root beer that the Dwarves loved so much all along!

All their famous ales and draughts; alcohol free.

Drunken dwarves? Nah, they just suffer from long-term dizziness after some time at the Midsummer Fire Festival Dancing Pole.

In all seriousness though, how do they expect us to take their Pandaren seriously, as they bid us do, when they blatantly get rid of one of their defining qualities; that is, the fact that they have always been said to be the finest brewers of ale on Azeroth, and the toughest drinkers, better than the Dwarves even?

Next thing you'll know they'll be saying the Pandaren aren't fierce at all, but encourage hugs and tenderness in a carebear fashion all across Azeroth.

C'est la vie.

Deleted
    Moronic.

If there cannot be any references to alcoholic consumption, then how does one allow mutilation, destruction and genocide in a game?'
    Ridiculous crooked world.. It's OK to show images of brutal slaughter on TV, but heaven falls down if a boob nipple or swear word are released.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dokhidamo View Post
    And confusing. Especially when you're new, having tostop and read to ensure you're pushing Drunken Haze as opposed to Drunken Strike is a pain.
    Isnt it the same with Paladins with their Seals of what-not and Holy this, holy that??

Oh come on.

That's so lame. : /

I really think this is just that it would sound crap if everything started with Drunken. If everything starts with Drunken, might as well remove Drunken. That leaves Haze, Brawler type names..again sounds crap lol, there's no description in there. So now they have a naming system that adds a little variety, big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Scunosi View Post
    Maybe it's the fact that "Drunk X" would just start to sound repetitive? Hell, any Dwarf could show you a Drunken Haze, you don't see them naming abilities after it. This is a fantasy game after all, they tend to like to jazz things up.
    Paladins say 'Hi!'

Deleted
    What about Beast Master spec? With the talent Beast Mastery and the mastery called Master of Beasts.

May I ask, after these changes, what skills remain that start with "Drunken"? If none, or few, the "don't want every skill sounding the same" argument is kind of ridiculous.

<--- See this guy? He's drunk. Not elusive. Drunk.

Most likely same reason as removing the pink elekk quest from the Brewfest.

One of the things I heard was that they changed it because it's forced achoholism as a gameplay mechanic, and not optional alchoholism like the rest of the game (even brewfest has the goggles).

Of course, that arguement doesn't hold any ground against the mine bunnies in DM or the ogre brewmasters in blade's edge who have been using that skill for two years and four years, respectively.

Deleted
    I think people being against the drunk thing, apart from rating issues, is this being another instance of people not being accustomed of asian perspective.

Links have already been posted, but I want to re-post them to stress their significance:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zui_Quan

This youtube video is a good watch, it's not from a movie but a solo-performance at some kind of tournament.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N855paiZhD8

And ofc Jackie Chan's legendary fight sequences from his first breakthrough movie Drunken Master 2
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pf45hmO_1ak

Other references in pop culture would be
    - the character "Brad Wong" from the Dead or Alive series
    - Rock Lee from the Naruto series
    - Muten Roshi from the dragonball series

These are pretty shallow examples, and I wish I could add some more insight- and meaningful ones, like the role of alcohol in asian mythology and general culture. But alcohol definitely has it's place there, as it has in most cultures, so that everyone overthinking this a bit should restrain from degrading references like "drunken assholes".

It's a very popular and well-known concept in asia, and would just need some time to accustome yourself to this perspective,after which you can start to maybe even love it. Hating it directly from the start is imo just another quick-reaction like thinking MoP's style being "too colorful", or even "too asian". "Too asian" for WoW, ha!
    I think people underestimate what they could get accustomed to if they would just react a bit less impulsive on their very first impressions. General reactions to MoP seem way more positive by now in comparison to after the Blizzcon announcement.
    Last edited by mmoce4a9f54a9f; 2012-03-29 at 12:59 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Twilight Hammers's dwarves (They are basically drunk all the time) seem to show that this is not religious or even rating related. May be they just did it for the sake of a better naming (in their opinion ofc).

Who cares though. I'm gonna be drunk the entire raid. Every single one of them
    I've walked the realms of the dead. I have seen the infinite dark. Nothing you say. Or do. Could possibly frighten me.
    We are not monsters! We are not the mindless wretches of a ghoul army! NO! We are a force even more terrifying! We are the chill in a coward's spine! We are the instruments of an unyielding ire! WE ARE THE FORSAKEN!
    Those who do not stand with the Forsaken stand against them. And those who stand against the Forsaken will not stand long.

Quote Originally Posted by Validity View Post
    Please take the brew out of Brewmaster.

As far as WoW's Monks go, the Windwalker and Mistweaver are specs based around being a badass fighter using spirits of shadow and mist to enhance their and their allies abilities. Meanwhile, Brewmaster is just some drunk asshole.

Yes, it makes 100% sense for Pandaren, but there's 8 other races that can be Monks, huh?

I would prefer that all monks be about combat and skill, as opposed to it being "Total badass", "Total badass", and "Drunk dude". As it stands, if the aesthetics of Monk Tanking continues to be Brewmaster, I will not tank on my future Draenei Monk.

Edit: But then again, my opinion is statistically insignificant and nobody here really cares if I don't tank on my monk, amirite?
    You are right.

As a child, it's often hard to understand why things happen for reasons you are not directly told. Even then, you often fail to understand why it has to happen.
    As an adult, you understand but still think it's a bunch of crap.

Either way, the alcohol references are a legal change and complaining about it is pointless. About as pointless as trying to argue that because monks brew alcohol, they must imbibe it - this is far from the truth. They can be teetotal and still brew it. (Otherwise wouldn't all bartenders be hammered while working? Bad logic is bad)

Quote Originally Posted by The Fiend View Post
    Strangely enough, the Shaolin temples are not the only place that teaches martial arts.

I could school you on the love of food and alchohol references to monks, but quite frankly, consider you think all Shaolin Monk temples stop Alchohol and only eat a tiny amount shows how narrow minded you are.

True fact, They brew wine in a fair few temples.
    I could school you on the fact that there are not multiple temples but only one Shaolin Monastery and one outreach in the UK, and neither of those brew wine.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeraxis View Post
    I could school you on the fact that there are not multiple temples but only one Shaolin Monastery and one outreach in the UK, and neither of those brew wine.
    Good for them, but the Pandaren aren't Shaolin monks and have always had, in what little lore they've been given/conjured, a history of brewing ales; indeed, when we're helping Chen get his brewery back, we see that Pandaren ale is so special because it's brewed from magical water, so for Blizzard to try and remove all references of 'drinking' from a class that's being brought to the game with a race that has drinking as a large part of its culture, it straight-up nonsense.

I was going to say that they might be changing it to being elusive and the like because the whole brewmaster deal is because of PANDAREN, not because of monks, and it wouldn't make sense to slap it onto the class of monk because of the race, and have all the races be like that. Buuut, there IS the drunken fist style of kung-fu, yadda yadda. Still doesn't make sense for them to be called BREWMASTERS when it has nothing to do with brewing anything.