Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    If you want a more technical answer: a single core CPU will struggle with GW2 not because it has only one core but because single core CPUs are simply really really slow compared to modern, much more advanced cores in a multi-core processor. Its not the number of cores which is decisive, its the total performance of the CPU. I'd take a single-core CPU with 300 Gflops rather than a 16-core CPU with 250 Gflops any time of the day

Quote Originally Posted by mafao View Post
    If you want a more technical answer: a single core CPU will struggle with GW2 not because it has only one core but because single core CPUs are simply really really slow compared to modern, much more advanced cores in a multi-core processor. Its not the number of cores which is decisive, its the total performance of the CPU. I'd take a single-core CPU with 300 Gflops rather than a 16-core CPU with 250 Gflops any time of the day
    you sure about that? if the program was coded for multiple cores/threads

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimusmc View Post
    cant believe people still use those. dual cores the common processor these days
    Hell, quads core are starting to take prominence among gamers ever sine the i5s came out.

Quote Originally Posted by Chronius View Post
    you sure about that? if the program was coded for multiple cores/threads
    A very fast single core CPU will run 4 threads faster than a very slow 4-core CPU. This should be obvious actually. And BTW, multithreading is way older than multi-core CPUs and has been successfully used for a long long time now.

A real life example: a competent student assistant will scan two books faster than two lazy student assistant which each scan a book in parallel

Quote Originally Posted by Delias View Post
    I was going to be an ass and link this to show that it's not the case for current gamers..
    but I WAS WROOONG.

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey
    Second one on the left, shows that out of steam users (and let's face it, the vast majority of PC gamers have steam) just under 47% use dual cores, just under 45% use quad cores, and just over 5% use single cores, putting single cores in the minority.

What were we talking about, again?

If you saw what was written here before I edited, ignore it.
    I haven't slept in.. too long, and am going to go do that right now.

... maybe after refreshing the GW2 subforum a few times.
    (Guys, I have a problem.)
    hahaha i said that because everytime i walk by the comp section at a store it's mostly dual-core comps for sale the cheap 200-300 ones. (which most computer users buy these.)

Deleted
    *pats 4GHz octocore*

It was overkill, true. But I couldn't resist when I saw it in the list.

Quote Originally Posted by Jigain View Post
    *pats 4GHz octocore*

It was overkill, true. But I couldn't resist when I saw it in the list.
    And video games handle all 8 cores so well!
    Worth it. : P

Quote Originally Posted by Delias View Post
    And video games handle all 8 cores so well!
    Worth it. : P
    I have 32 cores.