Poll: Do you support Warlocks having a 4th tanking spec?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Warlock Tanks! A dark rallying call to action.

Update: Added poll.

First off, refer to thedailyblink.com/2012/03/how-to-troll-your-playerbase/ for some bitter humour.

I had given up on wow for a year now and Demo-Tanking would have sold me MoP all by itself.

There are many threads discussing the Demodin Tank so I'll get to the point..
    • I support Warlocks having a 4th spec Demon Hunting (or any other name) so Demonology DPS won't be touched.
    • I support Spirit gear (Only useful to priests in MoP) being our tanking garb of choice. Spirit can change to parry or dodge while Mastery will be the special mitigation. (Devs don't like pure mitigation and like things to be 'compelling' i.e. randomish)
    • I don't mind not having any old Tier tank gear.
    • I believe Warlock tanks would bring new flavour and fun to the game.
    Since creating petitions on the official forums are frowned upon here is a clever alternative to get big-blue's attention:
    1. Roll a Warlock
    2. Put the word Tank in his\her name (ex: Demotank, loltank, Tankdemo, UtankU, Demotankz.. etc)
    3. DO NOT USE ALTERNATIVE CHARACTERS IN 'Tank' so no 'Tánk'
    4. If you simply think it would be fun, leave it at that.
    5. Show your level of enthusiasm (Level 1=I like the idea ---> Level 10=ZOMG MUST HAZ DEMO TANK) by levelling the lock to that level.
    6. POST in a thread called 'Supporting the Demodin' under the Tank section in your region's forums saying: I am [lock tank name] and my demonic powers CAN protect the weaklings AND offer design suggestions.
    As I mentioned before, I have been off wow for a year now so I can't post on the official forums, so if any of my dark brethren like this idea do make a thread called 'Supporting the Demodin' under the Tank Role section and copy+paste the steps.

Share this with all who like the idea, spread it to the masses in-game, create videos showing off your Tank lock pride and be vocal about this. Blizzard would implement something if they think it's fun and there is demand.

If enough people do these steps, even just creating a lock with 'tank' in the name, blizzard will notice the spike in the level 1-10 population and if the population mostly has 'tank' in their name, I believe it would send a message.

Important: Do not petition on the the official forums as it will only get your thread locked (no pun intended) just roll the warlock and follow the instructions.
    Last edited by facelesssoul; 2012-03-29 at 10:07 PM. Reason: Edited for clarity

But honestly it seems like the type of thing which sounds fun but ends up being either uselessly weak or horribly overpowered. I don't think they allow petition threads on the forum so it will end up locked quickly anyway.

edit: Your post imploded :<
    edit2: it's back!
    Last edited by Abandon; 2012-03-29 at 06:15 PM.
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's just numbers and graphics, if they want to balance an extra tank it shouldn't be a problem.

I'm okay with where Warlocks are now, as Off-tanks. I love that there are still some pure-dps classes in-game, I'd hate if my favorite of all of them, Locks, got turned into a tanking hybrid.

Plus I'm all petitioned out from the whole ME3 cluster-fuck
    Warlocks are what FDR was talking about
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHordeGlory View Post
    RAGNAROS: WOULD YOU LIKE THAT TOASTED?!
    Customer: Um, no thanks.
    RAGNAROS: TOO BAD! TASTE THE FLAMES OF SULFURON!

Quote Originally Posted by facelesssoul View Post
    It's just numbers and graphics, if they want to balance an extra tank it shouldn't be a problem.
    It's numbers and graphics and boss abilities and your abilities and how every tanking ability you have interacts with every other ability healers and other raid members use and redesigning loot roles and levelling talents if you want to level as a tank and adding in an entire new talent tree they never designed you to have.
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

They stated a no to the warlock tank. No sense in two new tanks in mop.

There will be no warlock tanks... now go away!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dread Pirate Roberts View Post
    I'm okay with where Warlocks are now, as Off-tanks. I love that there are still some pure-dps classes in-game, I'd hate if my favorite of all of them, Locks, got turned into a tanking hybrid.

Plus I'm all petitioned out from the whole ME3 cluster-fuck
    Well the whole idea is to add to the class without taking anything away, shorter queues alone would be worth it. Sure, 3 DPS + 1 Tank class would be an oddity, but then again Druids were 4 specs for a long time now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Abandon View Post
    But honestly it seems like the type of thing which sounds fun but ends up being either uselessly weak or horribly overpowered.
    Nah, I would disagree with you there. In the end its just numbers that will be balanced at some point. You can just add a talent to decrease damage by 95% and balance the rest of the abilities around it (cooldowns, optional shields, effective health etc). The harder part is that the mechanics should fit and it ends up being as fun (or no one would play it), complicated (or no one would play any other tank) and logistically appropriate (what gear, seperate or same as dps locks, get rid of demo dps or keep with a glyph etc). I have faith that Blizzard is capable of delivering on this.

For some reason, I am not sure this is over. You don't go through so much trouble just to add more "flavor" to the class, which to be honest is already getting a lot of retooling and has essentially one spec rebuilt from ground up (destruction with the ember system). I wont be surprised that they revisit this at some time in the future where they will have more time to:
    1. Design appropriate, separate gear.
    2. Account for lock tanks in LFR, raid boss mechanics, impact on PvP and all the other things which go with the addition of another class in the picture.

I applaud them for being cautious, but can't say that I am not disappointed. I was so looking forward to lock tanking. And in my opinion, that would have been that fresh thing that WoW needed to forge ahead.
    Never underestimate of the power of stupid people in large groups.

Sure I'll do it

Sorry, we don't need/want another tanking class.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Corjha View Post
    Tough, you are getting monks that are a tanking class.
    Never underestimate of the power of stupid people in large groups.

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe you don't.

The days of the trinity are dead! Tank/heal/dps specs for every class!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Abandon View Post
    It's numbers and graphics and boss abilities and your abilities and how every tanking ability you have interacts with every other ability healers and other raid members use and redesigning loot roles and levelling talents if you want to level as a tank and adding in an entire new talent tree they never designed you to have.
    That might have been an issue back in wrath, but now the tanking kit is very streamlined by design, even the new talent system would support it. If anything, toning it down would be the challenge. But I think a lot of players would find it compelling.

---------- Post added 2012-03-29 at 07:27 PM ----------

WE?
    If you are a dps or a healer it won't matter to you since nothing is being taken away.
    If you are a tank, then a new tank who will not compete with your gear at all is still not taking anything away.

Why would they make warlocks tanks?
    Enhancement shamans are capable of using shields and have rockbitter weapon (which is a taunt if used with Unleash Elements).
    If any class gets allowed to be a tank it should be Shaman.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aydinx2
    People who don't buy the deluxe edition should be permanently banned. I'm sick of playing with poor people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aydinx2 View Post
    Why would they make warlocks tanks?
    Enhancement shamans are capable of using shields and have rockbitter weapon (which is a taunt if used with Unleash Elements).
    If any class gets allowed to be a tank it should be Shaman.
    Just because Enh shamans have tanky abilities doesn't mean locks shouldn't tank. At least Enh shamans have Range/Melee/Healing specs, locks are only Ranged.

With the new "official" 4 spec for druids, why not publish 4th specs for everyone? I am sure it would be easier than designing a new class. Warlocks for example have few skills that hint tanking and could easily be worked around it, hunters have/had few melee skills that could make it possible for a Rexxar style beastmaster tree, rogues could easily get a tanking spec considering they have their main defensive cooldowns in game already and classes such as Death Knights could get a necromancer spec, which could use int plate. Mages could get something like the Blood Elves did with their paladin instruction, manipulating arcane energy to channel some healing. Anyways these are just off the top of my head.

I agree that blizzard could simply solve the whole "Well we want tanks to gear differently then their DPS specs" by having warlocks collect spirit cloth instead of the normal hit cloth.

I love how support for warlocks tanks died almost instantly due to ghost crawler, even though a few hours later he said he was surprised by how many people were supporting it and they were keeping a close eye on it.

If you guys kept supporting it, it is very possible that it could happen.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Augrelle View Post
    I agree that blizzard could simply solve the whole "Well we want tanks to gear differently then their DPS specs" by having warlocks collect spirit cloth instead of the normal hit cloth.

I love how support for warlocks tanks died almost instantly due to ghost crawler, even though a few hours later he said he was surprised by how many people were supporting it and they were keeping a close eye on it.

If you guys kept supporting it, it is very possible that it could happen.
    There is a way to support it, read the OP.

we dont really need another tanking class infact monk is way over the limit..because now we have bout 1 melee classes and the casters really really really need alot more love..heck the monk healing spec is a melee class...
    my friend code...

5241-1925-7760 name toasty

up for battles ...after 10/18/2013