15+ Year Old Account

Question about the beta

So is it true that ANET will only be doing 1 beta even per month? I just read something along those lines on the GW2 twitter page. If this is trully the case I think that is pretty sad, seeing how around 1 million people signed up for the beta. You would think they would do more beta events with more and more people added to test game performance and server stability.
    What doesn't kill you, only makes you stranger

That's what the word is so far. A lot of people will even be pre-purchasing the game on April 10th for guaranteed beta access, even though it is just 1 beta event a month. Of course we want more, but I think we'll just take whatever we can get at this point.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post
    A lot of people will even be pre-purchasing the game on April 10th for guaranteed beta access, even though it is just 1 beta event a month. Of course we want more, but I think we'll just take whatever we can get at this point.
    Yeah, the way I see it, I'll be wanting to get GW2 anyway, so I might as well buy it now and get used to the mechanics.

It's a subject to change though.

Herald of the Titans theredviola's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    It's a smart approach if you ask me. Instead of an on going beta where they'd have to fix bugs, along with content that works fine but was player suggested, on the fly; they can shut down the servers as needed and fix them with out having to worry about people being on the servers.

Also, don't kill me if I'm wrong, but I want to say that they said as the release date gets closer they'd be ramping up their beta events.
    "Do not only practice your art, but force yourself into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -- Ludwig Van Beethoven

Quote Originally Posted by theredviola View Post
    Also, don't kill me if I'm wrong, but I want to say that they said as the release date gets closer they'd be ramping up their beta events.
    They'd be ramping up the size. I remember they specifically said size, because I remember exactly what you said so I went back and looked for it to see if they'd be doing more beta events or just increasing the size, and it was the size.

15+ Year Old Account
    They'd be ramping up the size. I remember they specifically said size, because I remember exactly what you said so I went back and looked for it to see if they'd be doing more beta events or just increasing the size, and it was the size.
    Ah, thanks for the clarification grandpab!
    "Do not only practice your art, but force yourself into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -- Ludwig Van Beethoven

Deleted
    they will probably incrise the frequency of them now that the pre purches wil start

Quote Originally Posted by Fynov View Post
    they will probably incrise the frequency of them now that the pre purches wil start
    Here's the way I see it: ArenaNet is banking a lot on GW2. If they feel the need for more testing events, they'll open up more, otherwise, it means their in-house version of GW2 is pretty bug free and working properly.

So in a way, less beta events is actually a good thing Not that we care, we just want to play >

Quote Originally Posted by Synbaby View Post
    So is it true that ANET will only be doing 1 beta even per month? I just read something along those lines on the GW2 twitter page. If this is trully the case I think that is pretty sad, seeing how around 1 million people signed up for the beta. You would think they would do more beta events with more and more people added to test game performance and server stability.
    The million signups plus the prepurchase folks gives them plenty of room to stress test when they need it. They have their own schedule for testing and know how much they need and how often to effecently prepare the game for launch. Adding extra Beta events beyond what they need will not speed up the production, it will just bog them down with more data than they can process. The point of the betas is to finish the game, not give all million folks that signed up a free preview of the game. Craming more testing and testers than they need through the pipe is counterproductive and why they are not uping the frequency of the events.

Who is John Galt?

Just wanted to point out that they said AT LEAST 1 per month. Which means we could very potentially see more than 1 a month.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Synbaby View Post
    The reason they are only doing one beta a month is that they are actually treating the beta as a beta test, as opposed to the PR/marketing event that it has become for most games. By leaving a month between beta eventss it gives them time to look through the data, follow up on feedback, then make changes and further develop the game before the next test.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    The reason they are only doing one beta a month is that they are actually treating the beta as a beta test, as opposed to the PR/marketing event that it has become for most games. By leaving a month between beta eventss it gives them time to look through the data, follow up on feedback, then make changes and further develop the game before the next test.
    You gotta love Anet for doing things like they are suppose to be done

Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    Ofcourse, however they could let one extra week to be "for fun" or for "last bug catches" . You know... ok... I just badly want the game to be out and play it already . Tomorrow buying my CE!
    However Id trade all those beta events just for the game to come out already .

anyway to find out if there will be/has been a beta event this month?

Quote Originally Posted by Brandoh View Post
    anyway to find out if there will be/has been a beta event this month?
    There will be an event "late April" that's as much as we know right now. It'll begin on either the 20th, or the 27th.

15+ Year Old Account
    There will be an event "late April" that's as much as we know right now. It'll begin on either the 20th, or the 27th.
    Shit... I'm busy as fuck the 20th, 21st, 27th and 28th... fuck... my... life.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hopefully there are more than 1 per month, But im buying the game regardless so also taking advantage of the beta access.

They plan to do a minimum of 1 per month, they may have more

I guess they're waiting with april beta date announcement until pre-sales die down. It makes for a great marketing line to say "pre-buy if you still haven't, you can still make it into first beta test".