Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    Agreed with some ppl here, good MMO´s arent free, but get some info on free servers of Lineage 2

Deleted
    Allods Online

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    Why is the double standard even important? How is it relevant?
    Because you are declaring free to play MMOs to not be free because they do something that games you pay for do.

What is your problem in understanding this concept? In the free to play game if you're willing to level like you would in a subscription based game you're playing for free. If you want to pay for shortcuts you can CHOOSE to do so, or you can continue on playing for free.

You're actually hard pressed to find MMOs these days that have some mandatory item that must be bought in order to play the game. Most purchasable things these days are convenience items. More bag space, more character slots, more room on auction houses, etc. All things that are great to have, but nothing that really breaks your game by not having. The experience boosters and other beneficial items are nice to have too, but the game is still perfectly playable without them. Purchasable equipment (though I loathe the concept) also isn't something you absolutely need to play the game, it's just a way for the people too lazy to play the fucking game to skip ahead of the pack...

Everything you could buy in a free to play game is optional. The choice being there does not make the game not free. The possibility of spending money does not equate to money spent.
    Are you really going to hate on subscription-based MMOs for using a business model that results in maximized profits without really disrupting gameplay or alienating your playerbase?
    Ah, ye olde loaded question. I do not hate on subscription based games for having grinds. But it is adorable that you have now added "disrupting gameplay" and "alienating your playerbase" for no apparent reason. It's almost like you realized you have no leg to stand on so you had to add more arguments to the mix.

Whether a game is free or not is solely about whether you have to pay for it or not. If you can play a game for months (or even years) without spending a cent, it is a free to play game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousJesus View Post
    False statement. Though majority F2P games do tend to be boring, I know plenty which aren't.
    none of which you will fill us in on though.

OP should try out Star Trek Online.
    dictated but not read.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    Because you are declaring free to play MMOs to not be free because they do something that games you pay for do.

What is your problem in understanding this concept? In the free to play game if you're willing to level like you would in a subscription based game you're playing for free. If you want to pay for shortcuts you can CHOOSE to do so, or you can continue on playing for free.
    Because most people I know that function on a level that could be described as somewhat normal don't find pointless, tedious grinding to be enjoyable. Hence, they buy the XP boosters and gold coins and whatever else.

Yes, you CAN play a F2P MMO truly for free, but very few people do - people wouldn't be making F2P games if most people played for free.

Ah, ye olde loaded question. I do not hate on subscription based games for having grinds. But it is adorable that you have now added "disrupting gameplay" and "alienating your playerbase" for no apparent reason. It's almost like you realized you have no leg to stand on so you had to add more arguments to the mix.
    And resorting to acting like a pompous blowhard is a fantastic method of stating that you're out of options and now want to do nothing more with intelligent discourse.

Whatever. Welcome to ignore. I'm glad the forums have a function like it for people like you.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    Because most people I know that function on a level that could be described as somewhat normal don't find pointless, tedious grinding to be enjoyable.
    But it's okay so long as the game costs money up front?
    And resorting to acting like a pompous blowhard is a fantastic method of stating that you're out of options and now want to do nothing more with intelligent discourse.
    Right. Because you haven't been acting the same way this entire time, once even going so far as to get warned by a mod.
    Whatever. Welcome to ignore. I'm glad the forums have a function like it for people like you.
    The internet equivalent of plugging your ears with your fingers.

DCUO is a ton of fun. I would highly recommend it. I even put in the money for the 3 DLCs (3 new powers, instances, etc, all in one year of release) and I have been happy with my purchases. Even without any of the DLCs you can get into the first 3 tiers or raiding (the most recent tier you need the most recent DLC). The DLCs are $10 each and add a new super power and additional instances/duos. They also give lots of regular patches that open up new things (such as raids, the games profession, holiday events, etc).

The game has a great AOE looting system and the quests (other then bounties) never need to be turned in. They are completed from your journal. This makes it really simple to keep moving and playing without having to return to a police station/night club (town equivalents for heroes/super villians).

The game has only 30 levels and you can blow through them rather quickly, but the game really starts at 30. DCUO also does 2 things better than any other game. Styles and achievements.

First every style you find, if you equip it once (even if you take it back off) is saved. This means you can have hundreds of styles saved and mix and match them any time you want to make your ideal look. You can also do the same thing with colors. This gives you a ton of flexibility to create the look you want in the game.

Second achievements in this game mean something. All achievements (they call them feats) have a point value. Every 100 feat points you get, you get an additional skill point to boost your character (kind of like another talent point). This means you have an actual reason to do this. The problem with many games is that at most you might get a title or another mount that works just like the others you have, but is supposedly different. By making the Feats have actual value to make your character stronger, in encourages people to try things they may not normally do (such as PVP in my case).

One thing that is nice is that any time you want you can move your character from the PVE to PVP servers. This is done for no cost (real or in game money) by using a machine in your factions headquarters. This lets you try different styles of play and switch back and forth depending on your mood. Also if you want world pvp it is here and man it can be rough, but having superheroes and villians rumbling in the streets of Gotham and Metropolis is very cool (nothing like picking up a truck and beating someone with it).

Finally there is a cash shop, but for the most part all the sell are gear styles (so you can amend your costume per above) and toys (giant dice, balls, pets) stuff with no game effect. The last patch they added for a couple of bucks an item that gives a small xp boost for an hour. In my opinion completely useless since leveling is so quick (if you really work at nothing but speed leveling you can do it in a couple of long days). Also if you get to max level without taking the time to explore and complete feats you will not have the skill points you want anyway. You would be forced to go back again to complete quests just for the feats.

If you do enjoy the game and start to get into it, I would recommend spending one time $5 at the shop (buy some styles or a DLC). By doing this one time you turn your account from Free to Premium, which is worth it. It allows you to make 6 characters as opposed to just 2. You have more money available and you can trade/mail items. You can freely mail items between factions. It is not needed (I put in over 200hrs on just my free account), but the premium is worth spending $5 just once. The only account type above Premium is legendary which has a monthly fee which I am not going to do.
    Last edited by Sealbinder; 2012-04-04 at 03:08 PM.