Page 1 of 76
... LastLast

State of Affliction in MoP Beta (Grasp & Rotation figured out, for now)

The 5.0.4 rewrite is finally done. I made it a new topic because I will be updating it during mop. Feel free to keep the discussions here if you wish or move on over to the new one.
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...5#post18229035
    Last edited by Betrayerx; 2012-08-30 at 10:11 PM. Reason: Constant beta changes

Thanks for the great info. I was wanting to some some affliction stuff.

please keep updated on affliction - i love pvp as affliction and want an idea before MoP as to how it will work.

Deleted
    Nice read man, keep it up

One question:
    You're saying to FF twice to refresh UA/Cor up to 24secs apiece, but the tooltip shows FF to only add 6secs on for each cast... So wouldnt you need to cast 3-4 to maximise the dots duration? Or are you suggesting to FF when each dot is only half way finished?

Also, your wording with the Agony stacks is very hard to follow... =/

Agony starts off slow but builds up to a max of 10 stacks, like a debuff from a raid boss or something. Once its at 10 stacks its doing max damage so you never want to let it fall off always refreshing it to extend its duration with Everlasting Affliction. Felflame might only had 6 seconds but using it twice would be 12 seconds. Then your malefic grasp channel will halve the dot durations during its channel. Using Felflame wont increase the duration over the max but I guess is used to keep your dots up once they are going.

I wonder if using soulswap will be worth it to get the dots up instantly

For PvP I wonder if you would want to Soulswap, Haunt MG immediately
    Last edited by Athelan; 2012-03-31 at 03:27 PM.

ooooo been wanting to hear about affliction, sounds very interesting seems like stacked dots, haunt+melefic grasp are gonna be damn cool for setting up pvp kills.

obviously early on in beta, but if something like that stays as the rotation wow affliction is gonna go back to the days of BC of having a really complex rotation. i know what i wanna do with all these new skills though...... go to madness and see the crazy haunt+MG+all dot+bloodlust dps

I'll check that today and edit the post if I was wrong but I'm pretty sure when I was FFing it would reset the duration and then the second one would increase the duration by 6 seconds which would basically get rid of the need to double cast the dots to take advantage of Everlasting Affliction. The reason I say Fel Flame is so good now is because it does dmg (20k crits) and gives the added dot duration which seems to be how affliction will work in MoP. Huge dot durations and uninterrupted Grasp channeling. Originally we thought that with the way it was functioning with the dot duration that it would only be used during Haunt buff and when you needed big burst and Drain Life would be the new filler spell but that wouldn't make sense with the removal of shadow bolt from the spec.

This is also roughly what I was finding on my own Warlock, although I hadn't thought to integrate Fel Flame. That makes a lot of sense. I'm personally really looking forward to trying Affliction. It's sort of the dark horse spec right now because the other two are getting such flashy overhauls. But Affliction's historical weaknesses are really being addressed.

-Long ramp up: Shadow Embrace is gone, and Soulburn->Soul Swap instantly applies all three of your DoTs to a target. Bane of Agony doesn't take terribly long to get going either, although it still provides some ramp up time (which is fine).

-Lack of burst: MG + Haunt is just brutal, plus the new Dark Soul. Sure it's no turn-and-conflag spec, but it really does a good job of making Affliction have access to burst damage potential while keeping it feeling like a DoT spec.

-A bit boring: A recurrent concern for Cata Affliction has been with all the DoT refreshes it's just not very hard to keep things rolling. Those are all gone now; you don't just keep Corruption up "on accident" but instead with active recasting or Fel Flame. You don't use CoD anymore so that gets rid of a fire-and-forget 1 minute spell. And the new interaction with Soul Shards and Haunt is just gorgeous; I'm looking forward to Soulburn->SoC and watching the Nightfall procs roll in (i.e. chain Haunt all over the place).

The only thing that stood out to me was how low the proc rate for Nightfall felt on a single target. I'm not sure how often we'll get to utilize Drain Soul but just fiddling around for a few minutes it felt like my access to in-combat Soul Shard regen was very limited (unless there's going to be a lot of adds).
    Last edited by Neichus; 2012-03-31 at 06:12 PM.

One thing I forgot to mention in the post is that if you Soul Swap your dots with a 10 stack of Agony the new target will instantly get the 10 stack of Agony, so Soul Swap will be useful as hell in PvP and PvE. Aff in PvP is going to be fun as hell because you will finally be able to set up burst kills with Haunt, Grasp, and the new Demon Soul:Misery. One other thing I noticed about MG was the whole extending duration of your channel thing to be only semi useful. On a side not Soulburn with Harvest Life was taking me from less than 5k hp to full in about 2-3 seconds, so needless to say locks will have survivability out the ass.

Ok, one of the questions I have been burning to know with affliction -
    - Does Drain Life still extend/refresh the corruption duration?
    - If yes, then with the talent Harvest Life, if you were to Soulburn: Seed, will Harvest Life refresh corruption on each add?

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Dangless; 2012-03-31 at 06:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dangless View Post
    Ok, one of the questions I have been burning to know is with affliction -
    - If yes, then with the talent Harvest Life, if you were to Soulburn: Seed, will Harvest Life refresh corruption on each add?

Thanks in advance!
    I think you're talking about Drain Soul not Drain Life but I will test that out today, however I'm fairly certain I had dots up while messing with Drain Soul and didn't notice anything like that. Will update in a few hours when my friends comes over with his comp.

Deleted
    Sounds good, cept untill they nerf something as usual to the ground making it useless again.

Quote Originally Posted by Dangless View Post
    Ok, one of the questions I have been burning to know with affliction -

Thanks in advance!
    No, neither Drain Life or Drain Soul refresh Corruption anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Iuci View Post
    Sounds good, cept untill they nerf something as usual to the ground making it useless again.
    With the way Aff is right now on beta its not OP at all, just really solid and imo fun

Isn't it just easier to ignore felflame and just recast UA/Corr?

Because casting felflame 2 times to add 12 secs seems less good then recasting the dots and making it 30+ secs. Recasting just seems better because it will give you more time to use your filler then to use felflame 2 times.

Quote Originally Posted by Swaggajuice View Post
    I think you're talking about Drain Soul not Drain Life but I will test that out today, however I'm fairly certain I had dots up while messing with Drain Soul and didn't notice anything like that. Will update in a few hours when my friends comes over with his comp.
    Ok since Haunt always refreshed Corruption I never noticed Drain Life did that as well since it hasn't been the filler on live for a long ass time so my apologies for not realizing that, but like Neichus said in MoP none of the drains affect corruption anymore.
    Last edited by Betrayerx; 2012-03-31 at 07:00 PM.

One more nice thing: Seed of Corruption no longer overwrites Corruption on a single target, so you don't have to dance around that anymore.

---------- Post added 2012-03-31 at 01:37 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    Isn't it just easier to ignore felflame and just recast UA/Corr?

Because casting felflame 2 times to add 12 secs seems less good then recasting the dots and making it 30+ secs. Recasting just seems better because it will give you more time to use your filler then to use felflame 2 times.
    Well, this is what I was thinking of it: every cast is worth 12 seconds (6 for Corruption, 6 for UA). Recasting either Corruption or UA before it is completed only refreshes up to 50% of its duration (which is +9 for Corruption and +7.5 for UA). As such, it's more net for the two GCDs to cast Fel Flame than it is to recast before completion, and Fel Flame does damage to boot.
    Last edited by Neichus; 2012-03-31 at 07:44 PM.

No, refreshing it returns it to it's normal duration plus 50%, assuming it was still ticking when you refreshed it; so a max of 150% duration after a refresh.

---------- Post added 2012-03-31 at 07:51 PM ----------

I honestly see it still being more beneficial to refresh UA/Corr with hardcasts, even more so than in cata.

Quote Originally Posted by LikeASir View Post
    No, refreshing it returns it to it's normal duration plus 50%, assuming it was still ticking when you refreshed it; so a max of 150% duration after a refresh.

---------- Post added 2012-03-31 at 07:51 PM ----------

I honestly see it still being more beneficial to refresh UA/Corr with hardcasts, even more so than in cata.
    Ah, okay. I was wondering why that seemed counterintuitive. That makes some sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Neichus View Post
    Ah, okay. I was wondering why that seemed counterintuitive. That makes some sense.
    Understanebl if your confunsued also at least with the current beta calculatr build you can see how long corruption will last
    UA will last 23 secs up from 15
    Corr 27 up from 18
    CoA 36 secs up from 24

You will need to cast at least 3 times to bring UA up to 23 secs so I think it is still lower to use felflame to add a few seconds.

What is more worrying is how Empowered Channel works, the way I read it it looks like your gaining stacks of the channel spell if you start it again before you finished the channel.

It seems a bit awkward to be balanced around something like that, it looks to much like RNG since you won't often get the time to gain 5 stacks.