Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I think it is a genre which does not so easily update to the fancy graphics or new mechanics that new games of others seem to leap upon too quickly.
    Has to be a limit as to how much eye-candy can be added before units become difficult to differentiate.
    The more options you get the harder balance becomes also.

Quote Originally Posted by Azuri View Post
    I'm currently in alpha testing for End of Nations so obviously I can't say anything about it. It's going to be worth a look at for sure and the game is from Trion the makers of Rift so they have a history for having a passionate devolpement team. Closed beta is this spring and open beta is this summer. Here's a look at couple of their videos for anyone who may not know much about it.
    So it's a free to play online RTS? I can only wonder at what sort of items you'll buy out of the store..
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm View Post
    It's not that drugs are for people who can't handle reality. Reality is for people who can't handle drugs.

yeah been following End of Nations for some time...looks promising, mixing RTS with MMO. But good old RTS type of games are pretty much gone, everything is pushing to online play and MMO style. I heard that they are resurecting C&C franchise but i doubt it will be like its ancestors.

It just the gaming is changing which is a natural process, those of us who played Dune 2 and onwards will just have to keep the good memories

I wouldnt be suprised if we see a single player games start getting less and less attentions in 5+ years.

Blizzard used to innovate with all their RTS games. Warcraft 1, 2, Starcraft, Warcraft 3 were ALL praised for their time as revolutionary RTSes that pushed the genre forward.

I blame blizz for missing their opportunity with SC2 to do the same once again, and opting for "don't break if it doesn't need fixing", except in this case the phrase was more like "don't innovate if you have a market for it in e-sports". They missed their chance to push innovation forward.

In all honesty, I was looking to them to WOW! us once again, but the first Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War was far more impressive than "SC2", i.e SC1 e-sports edition.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xxf2dxx View Post
    So it's a free to play online RTS? I can only wonder at what sort of items you'll buy out of the store..
    They've stated there wont be any power buying and I trust Trion as a company to hold them true to their word since I've had nothing but good experiences with them. Most likely it'll be alternate skins for vehicles and paint styles for all units.

Quote Originally Posted by Affixiation View Post
    They've stated there wont be any power buying and I trust Trion as a company to hold them true to their word since I've had nothing but good experiences with them. Most likely it'll be alternate skins for vehicles and paint styles for all units.
    I totally understand the trust with Trion and hopefully they keep to that. That crap AOE online did with buying "premium" civs was lame and C&C Alliances you can buy resources.
    It's not that drugs are for people who can't handle reality. Reality is for people who can't handle drugs.

yeah i seen some post about it on their page or it was video nvm. you wont be able to buy power and be stronger player just cuz you have subscription. it will prolly be that if you pay you will research new stuff faster and stuff like that, nothing that a non-paying player cant achive, just on a slower pace. Something like World of Tanks where with premium account you earn more XP and credits and defacto you can progress faster........if we exclude the buying premium ammo which IS making you stronger ofc

Deleted
    Need more games like 'Stronghold', 'Knights and Merchants'. Oh man.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitler View Post
    I don't know how good Stronghold 1 & 2 were, but three was horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    I think it is a genre which does not so easily update to the fancy graphics or new mechanics that new games of others seem to leap upon too quickly.
    Has to be a limit as to how much eye-candy can be added before units become difficult to differentiate.
    The more options you get the harder balance becomes also.
    That is basically what I was thinking.
    I think RTS being a mostly PC thing does not help development either since the market is shifted more towards console and multiplatform

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitler View Post

oh knights and merchants, totally forgot about that game.

what a game!

Deleted
    1- Sins of a Solar Empire.
    I'll +1 this. Played it extensively. Very good game.

Noone wants to make RTS game anymore. It will never sell as much as rpg,fps,mmo except something like SC2. While SC2 is standing on top of Esport scene but RTS genre in general is dying. Nature of RTS game is that it's pretty hardcore so it's not really popular nowaday. ARTS seem like a way to go now if you wanna make RTS. I am glad that I still have SC2 because at this state of RTS genre I don't think Blizzard will never make RTS game again after they are done with all of SC2's xpacs.
    Last edited by Wildmoon; 2012-04-02 at 10:30 AM.

The increased focus on micromanagement, taken to absurd levels in Warcraft 3, has been a big turnoff for me. That's definitely not the reason I play strategy games, having to babysit single units to such a level. With the advent of MOBAs I think it'd be better if people who like micro above all else can just stick to those kinds of games so RTS devs don't need to feel pressured to shift gameplay in that direction.

Deleted
    Possibly the best RTS I’ve ever played was EVE Online.

Not joking, I was for a while a Corp leader (before going to play WoW) and it played like the most sophisticated RTS ever made. You could manage mining, industry, mission runs and ultimately fleet vs fleet combat in true Sins of Solar Empire fashion. Or you could delegate certain aspects of the running to someone else, if mining wasn’t your cup of tea.

Each ‘unit’ you controlled had amazing AI, and so did all the enemy units. They were so lifelike they sometimes made mistakes, or could turn against you at critical moments, and you’d have to react or plan for this.

Admittedly, it might take you years of playing to get to this level, but if you want to play the best RTS experience available, then it’s out there for you.
    People often forget that the best sandbox games out there really do allow you to play the game any way you want to.

It will be interesting to see the scope of Dust 514, whether it can be played like an RTS, with teams against teams (guild vs guild Alterac Valley comes to mind) or will it be smaller squad based game. Add in its interaction (bombardment) with EVE and you open doors for much a much more tactical game.

last good rts i remember playing (except SC2) is supreme commander with forged alliance expansion pack.
    Sad as I grew up on RTS games
    i am boycotting wow until i get to play protoss

Deleted
    I tend to agree, long gone ar ethe days of Warcraft 2, Starcraft, Age of Empires 2, Syndicate, Red Alert... damn so many good franchises, only one has survived.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well I'm really looking forward to what they'll do with the new C&C game that is using the frostbite2 engine (Battlefield 3). I really hope to see something which makes me go Whoa... but I guess time will tell

Quote Originally Posted by Bob from Accounting View Post
    Man, I'm just sick of all those Shogun type of strategy games. No one even makes classic rts-es anymore, with proper cutscenes between missions. It's all shoguns with samurais, knights, cowboys and what not. Only Blizzard seems to stick with the good old RTS game recipe and that's just sad.
    Cowboys in space?

I'm excited for C&C: Generals 2, the well deserved sequel from 2003 Generals. It says they'll bring back the old RTS formula, with a dynamic MP and SP experience, and plenty of challenges. And they'll be using the Frostbite 2 engine, the same engine Battlefield 3 runs on. About time the old SAGE engine got replaced trough.

EDIT: looks like a small CGI showoff scene has been released:

Last edited by McNeil; 2012-04-02 at 07:32 PM.