Poll: How often do you get sick from the common cold and/or the flu?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    i get sick maybe once every few years, but its never that bad, usually still ok to go to work/college. a few times i get too sick to go, but only ever been sick enough to go to hospital once, put me in a hosptital with a drip for near 2weeks in Spain. i havn't been to a hospital in the UK since i was about 6. i never take any medication, just rather get on with it or lay in bed

though my mother and sister get ill a lot, like every other month one of them is sick, and when they get sick they take a lot of medication and go to the doctors everytime. so i am exposed to people being sick all the time, even at work, customer assistant, i have had a lot of people think its reasonable to come in and cough all over the place and sneeze in my direction

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm around Children who share germs, but rarely get sick. I have an immune system like a BOSS O.o I get probably 1 cold every 2 years, except this year i had two right after each other (which was totally out of Character for me so that will most likely be it for me). Major illness never had any to this day (I'm 34) only thing wrong with me is my dodgy knees.

every day, first thing in the morning. spend 30-45 minutes with extreme nausea.

ulcers suck.

10+ Year Old Account
    When I was under 14-ish, I would get sick every other week. Now I never get sick.

Deleted
    Not often enough.

I used to get sick a lot as a child, 2-3 times a year and for 3-5 days strong generally. Then apparently my immune system got its shit together in 8th grade and I've only been sick once since then with a cold/flu.

Deleted
    Never, I just don't get sick, at all. It's strange:P I've been around sick people and in a crowd a lot, I've even tried getting flu on purpose years ago when I was still in school and nothing. I've never been in a hospital either.

..and it sucks, I sometimes REALLY envy the people who can get 2-3 weeks off work or school and just rest in bed with a flu

im usually sick three times a year or so. Im around a lot of people often so if one of them has something im in trouble :P

back in school I got sick 2-3 times a month

When I was younger I got sick maybe 4 - 6 times a year. Now it's a lot less, I've only gotten sick once this year and last year and it wasn't that bad.
    Gnome Pride!

10+ Year Old Account
    I smoke a lot, and I drink even more.. I'm never sick. But when I am, its serious. Like appendix bursting, boil in throat (disgusting) 'n stuff. Colds doesn't count as being sick if you ask me.
    I like juice

10+ Year Old Account
    I do not get sick, so if suddenly i get cancer you know who did it to me.

I would get sick constantly when I was really young. Really sick.

Around 7th or 8th grade I started getting the normal colds people would often get a few times a year.

But now it has been 5 years since I was sick last. My diet is very good, and I don't touch things like door handles in public. I grab them with my shirt or a towel.

rarely if ever - in the last 2-3 years i've been lucky enough to avoid any standard illnesses (just as well as it could've been dire with my health the way it was a couple of years ago) and well, i dont watch what i eat really.
    Koodledrum - Balnazzar EU - 85 Priest - Retired.

OP, are you psychic? I'm sick right now.

I used to get sick maybe once a year, but since I stopped running every week I've gotten sick a few more times. I also tend to get sick if I go short on sleep for a whole week and spend my waking time cramming for a test or something. That's probably the stress and lack of sleep making it easier for me to get sick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Quote Originally Posted by ita View Post
    ..and it sucks, I sometimes REALLY envy the people who can get 2-3 weeks off work or school and just rest in bed with a flu
    It's less of a blessing than it seems, I can assure you. The last time I was really sick was around Christmas last year; I had a flu that had my nose blocked, made me half-lose my voice (Which trust me, in a long-distance relationship is not the best thing, if all you can muster is raspy conversation ), completely fucked with my body's heat management (Too hot one moment, too cold the other, for days on end and very little sleep inbetween).

I've had colds before, sore throats and blocked noses and the like, but that instance in particular had me living out life as the living dead for its duration. Fortunately, I wasn't ever that sick for years before that, nor have I been afterward; the only time i've ever been in hospital to boot was for some corrective surgery in the bones of my feet.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've never been sickly past my childhood illnesses, never a cold to speak of or anything untill a few years ago. March 2 years ago I had a sudden infection in my knee, which hurt like hell, so had to take antibiotics and stuff for it. Then last year in March I had sudden infection in, I kid you not, part of my testicles, which hurt like hell, so again antibiotics. So I was kinda waiting for this year to be sick again in March, but nothing, so maybe my sick days are behind me now. I eat better then I did the past few years, but I never excersise or move much beyond climbing some stairs. I'm almost never around sick people though, or people in general. Oh and I just remembered, I smoked pretty heavily for some 10 years, but I quit 1 year before getting sick the first time, lol.
    Last edited by xskarma; 2012-04-02 at 12:30 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Twice a year maximum, but when it happens, it hurts.

Even so, I'm pretty fortunate I suppose. Likely means I'll just drop dead at some point in the future. No waiting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Remember. Getting a cold does not mean that you dressed poorly. It means that you encountered some asshat who didn't know basic hygiene when they are sick. Cold does not breed the sniffles. a virus does. Keep basic hygiene when it comes to sickness (being a bit paranoid helps) and you'll make it.
    Haven't had a cold in 4 years.

Ps: Being cold does WEAKEN the immune system. but it does not give you a virus

don't really ever get too sick anymore. last time i remember getting like actually decently sick was back in my second year of college, about 5 years ago.

my lifestyle likely weakens my immune system - lots of soda, beer, sit in a chair all day for work and after work, don't work out.
    but i also don't come into tons of contact with other people