Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    GW1 GvG was more like a Dota setup, where there were AI guards protecting a keep lord. These guards never respawned when you killed them, and acted like the towers in DOTA. The only thing missing was the minions pushing into the enemy base, that was composed entirely of players. They also had a secondary objective where you had to take a flag from your base, plant it in the center of the map, and hold it for a certain time frame. If you did, your team would get a buff and that would help you push. It was an objective based game mode about controlling territory.

GW2 Structured PvP is teams of 5 trying to hold onto control points on the map to earn points. There are also secondary objectives that differ based upon the map. It's an objective based game mode about controlling territory.

Seems like there is GvG in GW2, it's just 5v5 instead of 8v8 and it's not called GvG.

Quote Originally Posted by Bridger View Post
    GW1 GvG was more like a Dota setup, where there were AI guards protecting a keep lord. These guards never respawned when you killed them, and acted like the towers in DOTA. The only thing missing was the minions pushing into the enemy base, that was composed entirely of players. They also had a secondary objective where you had to take a flag from your base, plant it in the center of the map, and hold it for a certain time frame. If you did, your team would get a buff and that would help you push. It was an objective based game mode about controlling territory.

GW2 Structured PvP is teams of 5 trying to hold onto control points on the map to earn points. There are also secondary objectives that differ based upon the map. It's an objective based game mode about controlling territory.

Seems like there is GvG in GW2, it's just 5v5 instead of 8v8 and it's not called GvG.
    There is a distinct difference between capture point mechanics and trying to push into the enemy's base destroying towers or killing npc's. Yes they can be be put into a larger category of an objective based game mode about controlling territory. Belonging to the same larger group of modes does not make them equal.

You and me are both people. We are the same person, I just might be shorter than you and have a different name. See the problem with that logic?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeek Daniels View Post
    Dunno what GvG was like in GW1 but cant you just do GvG pvp in structured matches? Again have no idea what GvG was in GW1.
    no, the mechanics arent there
    The Original Ganksta

Top 100 US daggers. yeah, you're jelly alright

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    then again i'm pretty sure you're smarter then the average dumbass

Nope, not concerned. The WvWvW will be WAY MORE than enough. Take your guild in to WvW, have fun conquering other guilds and servers and whatnot, Profit?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bridger View Post

5v5 is the substitute for GvG but... its really not the same

the thing i loved (personally) wat the style, it yea it was pretty much like DoTA, but thats why i liked it over AB or TA. and i know they talked about 8v8 was too much, 7 felt the same 6 was too easy to defend so we picked 5 but thats also another format of play. id actually really be interested to see how the GvG meta changes with the lack of dedicated healers and more robust skillsets and more emphasis on mobility and area control than GW1 had

---------- Post added 2012-04-02 at 04:35 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Araxie View Post
    Nope, not concerned. The WvWvW will be WAY MORE than enough. Take your guild in to WvW, have fun conquering other guilds and servers and whatnot, Profit?
    thats akin to saying RBG's are the same as world pvp
    The Original Ganksta

10+ Year Old Account
    @Glytch actually.... In WvW you can storm a fortress like in gvg and kill the keep lord thus winning the battle over that keep, like in gvg. So they have a lot of -similar- elements, but ill agree with you that they are NoT the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

10+ Year Old Account
    @Glytch actually.... In WvW you can storm a fortress like in gvg and kill the keep lord thus winning the battle over that keep, like in gvg. So they have a lot of -similar- elements, but ill agree with you that they are NoT the same.
    attack and defend and "DoTA" style games both share alot of similar stuff :|

in fact since DoTA was a mod of W3 the whole attack and defend aspect was baked into it due to the RTS nature of the game, you just do it at the same time instead of take turns
    The Original Ganksta

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    They just need add duels in and ill be happy

I'm a little disappointed that there is no 'in server' wvw version for guilds, I think this would be cool if it could be done.

I think the real question now is, why isn't GvG a thing? What was the reasoning behind the decision not to implement it?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Koshun View Post
    I think the real question now is, why isn't GvG a thing? What was the reasoning behind the decision not to implement it?
    they wanted to stick to conquest style maps for pvp :| it was a huge letdown for me

i think it was so it'd be easier to balance?

me:

(im the sad panda)
    The Original Ganksta

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Glytch View Post
    id actually really be interested to see how the GvG meta changes with the lack of dedicated healers and more robust skillsets and more emphasis on mobility and area control than GW1 had[
    Is this the major reason why there is no GvG ? The No-Trinity style of play would make a big difference from having a "balanced" style of play vs a "spike" or "iway" style..

10+ Year Old Account
    @Glytch, actually it was all capture points because they want them to be easy for people to figure out what to do, and then change stuff on each map (IE treb, or maybe a map partially is underwater) to make each map quite a bit different from each other, but in the end still have the same goals.
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

10+ Year Old Account
    @Glytch, actually it was all capture points because they want them to be easy for people to figure out what to do, and then change stuff on each map (IE treb, or maybe a map partially is underwater) to make each map quite a bit different from each other, but in the end still have the same goals.
    "kill the guild lord"
    The Original Ganksta

Yes, I will miss GVG.

No, I don't think it'll be a problem at all with the game.

I think GVG is best left as a treasure from the past, don't try to relive it, just remember it like the awesome thing it was. Go kill keep lords in WvWvW against a influence-pumped guild, it's the closest thing there is.

As someone who comes from fairly close of where you were, I understand your concern OP. However, arenanet clearly decided to dump the hardcore GvG community. Let's face it, GvG was remarkably elitist, and gap between top10 and top100 guild was so big, there was very little vertical movement of players and the most of players in the game rarely had a shot of even trying real GvG combat much less actively practice it.

GW2 has a very clear casual focus. Their "HoH style structured PvP" is now a 5v5 resource control fight with both hot join and premades, so it'll probably be more similar to WoW's random and rated battlegrounds then GvG or HoH, the actual "guild-based" combat will be in WvWvW which is designed from get go to be a casual fest. You can't even guarantee that your guild mates will be able to get into the match and those who can play 24/7 badly will always beat someone who can play 3 hours exceptionally well. The rest of the game has not a single competitive bone at all if hype and religious fans spreading the word are to be believed. Granted reality is probably quite a bit different and there's at least some competition, but even at best there's unlikely to be any serious competition in PvE with all the focus being on hot join world events and explorable dungeons being something of a mandatory bow to "must have instances" mentality.
    It's rather hard to make hot-join events "competitive" in any way, especially without enraging all of the casual fanbase attracted by promise of hot-joinable epic dragon fights.

Essentially GvG community, as it was in GW1 will not be supported and/or served in any shape or form in GW2 in spite of some claims by arenanet that they will "support e-sport community for 5v5". This is a very clear cut design move. It's pretty sad, but there's really nothing we can do about it. Funnily, many who liked GvG combat including quite a few gold trim capers of the past are playing various other games. Various DOTA clones and WoW arenas come to mind as such games, and you may wish to go play those if you want a natural continuation of GW1's GvG gameplay mentality.
    Last edited by Lucky_; 2012-04-03 at 12:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jigain View Post
    No spoilers for Skyrim please! Still trying to find the time to work through that one. :P

Hmm, never bothered with the thieves guild in Oblivion. Maybe it's time to go back there.
    well I'll just leave it at its very hard to beat skyrim without runnin accross the elder scroll regardless of what guilds you get involved with unlike oblivion where only 1 guild did anything with them.

Who is John Galt?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Glytch View Post
    "kill the guild lord"

I would not be surprised if there will be a map in the future where each team had a heavily guarded NPC ("guild lord") that when killed gave a TON of points (or even a victory?) to the murderer of it.

I would not be surprised if there will be a map in the future where each team had a heavily guarded NPC ("guild lord") that when killed gave a TON of points (or even a victory?) to the murderer of it.

That would make it AV like. GvG guild lord and his defensive NPC line was crap that you could 2-3 man with special strike squads in splits builds. It was scary only for solo stragglers and in VoD where they powered up and bunched up.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenas View Post
    Am i only concerned about GvG in Guild Wars ?

Guild wars has always been based on Guild vs Guild i got my Champion Title (gold ribbon cape) on Guild Wars and basically i havent seen anyone crying for not having this anymore. I loved to spend hundreds of hours in my Guild Hall having fun with my guild mates planning and configuring a lot of team aspects guild wars offers, i personally think it was a amazing way to do PvP (a lot better than HoH). The method and gameplay was far beyond anything i have seen till now on any MMO. To be honnest the game says "guild wars" so it must have something to compete on guild vs guild... It must have a guild lord and its henches and those flag runners and bodyguards.. getting morale boost and all that stuff i want GvG desperately !! ;(

So is everyone Ok with GW2 not having GvG ?
    I agree, but I think ANet is trying to achieve smaller 4v4 battles to be easier balanced, 8v8 was fun and I also enjoy splitting tactics and such but I think it was just too much for them, however insanely fun it was back in guild wars prime.

I do hope to see some form of gvg, WvWvW is basically a huge gvg with the lords in the keeps and such.