Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Gearing for Heroics.

Hey all, I just dinged 85 on my Shammy.. I had 3,004 JP saved up and got 2 pieces of 378 with that. I also had a pair of 359 leggings in my Bank. Now, what I'm worried about.. Is the rest of my gear. Only 2 Dungeons (Lost City of Tol'Vir and Halls of Origination) have gear for me.. Which is iLvl 333. I only want to do these 2 because I want gear as quick as I can get it. Is there any other way of getting gear easy? .. I dungeoned all the way to 85 with only doing 100 quests in Hyjal.. I'm starting to think I should have quested for rep...
    Last edited by Laqweeta; 2012-04-02 at 05:49 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Easiest way to get gear is to PVP to meet the ilvl cap and run some LFR and the newer 5man in lfg lol.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    No, easiest way is to buy the blue 377 gear, keep them in your bags queue for LFR then when you replace the 377 gear sell it again on the AH.

10+ Year Old Account
    They seriously need to make LFR/Dungeon System not detect ilvl from PvP gear, since it's a "PvE" thing.

Quote Originally Posted by NatePsychotic View Post
    They seriously need to make LFR/Dungeon System not detect ilvl from PvP gear, since it's a "PvE" thing.
    Seriously....and while they're at it they should only let you pvp if you have high enough ilvl from pvp gear, since that's a "PvP" thing. wait...what?

In all honesty, pvp and pve gear have roughly the same primary stats and a fully geared pvp toon can still put up decent enough numbers to help clear LFR.

The quickest, although most expensive way, is to buy the crafted 397 legs, crafted or BOE valor bracers and boots. Then buy a few more pieces to get you into at least the new 5 man dungeons, then get a few items till you hit ilvl for LFR.

If you're broke, however, just grind out dungeons till your ilvl lets you get into higher dungeons. It takes time, but that's something you just have to do....also, if i'm not mistaken, pretty much all gear, even if you dont use it can up your ilvl. For instance even if you're wearing a 333 int necklace, if you run ZA or ZG and a 353 str or agility neck drops, just by having it in your bags it will up the ilvl...same for agi mail gear if you're ele or resto...just roll and win it, and have it in your bags for the ilvl bump.

Quote Originally Posted by Draagn View Post
    No, easiest way is to buy the blue 377 gear, keep them in your bags queue for LFR then when you replace the 377 gear sell it again on the AH.
    it must be the easiest way

Deleted
    if you haven't already then go do the thrall questline for the cape and i'm pretty sure there's a caster reward from the molten front initial quests.

10+ Year Old Account
    Aside from tanking, you can do just fine in pvp gear for lfr/lfg. And its the fastest way to get geared, without spending lots of money. Blue gear on ah is like 1000g each or something ridiculously overpriced.....few days of pvp gets you a nice pvp set and you can que for higher lvl dungeons and get geared real quick.....few random 5mans and you will prob replace most of your pvp gear in one day.

If you're broke, however, just grind out dungeons till your ilvl lets you get into higher dungeons. It takes time, but that's something you just have to do....also, if i'm not mistaken, pretty much all gear, even if you dont use it can up your ilvl. For instance even if you're wearing a 333 int necklace, if you run ZA or ZG and a 353 str or agility neck drops, just by having it in your bags it will up the ilvl...same for agi mail gear if you're ele or resto...just roll and win it, and have it in your bags for the ilvl bump.
    Yea, this is true. The game takes the max ilvl for each gear slot, whether you are wearing it or its in your bags. Doesn't have to be for your spec or anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do the thrall questline for the cape, if you happen to be enhancement youll find that cape very hard to replace. Also open up firelands. check the ah for any cheap 378 gear and if you can , get some 377 pvp gear, it will not hinder your dps that much , just get enough to get 353 ilvl to do Hots.

Have you tried gearing up the old way lately? Its impossible to do. I use 50% mana on trash pulls, do 18k HPS, and 3 people still die and this is with a 387 ilvl. The only people still doing regular heroics are too bad for the new ones. Buy the 377 pvp gear and just skip them. Its not worth the self torture of running with 3 DPS who refuse to break 7K DPS and think standing in fire or getting cleaved is "cool" and then your tank refuses to gem and only has 150k health fully buffed.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilly32 View Post
    Have you tried gearing up the old way lately? Its impossible to do.
    I'm sorry, but that's a filthy lie.

I just dinged on my Death Knight 2 days ago. I've run normal dungs heroics and a few Zul's, almost at the ilvl to enter Looking for Raid as Blood or Frost now, without any major headaches.

It's not alot of trouble to go out and grab the Valor Point BoE's, the Cloak from the Thrall Questline, a hour more to do the intro quests to Molten Front for another quick 365..

Either you are the most unlucky person on the planet or you're making stuff up.

For the OP - Get Valor BoE's, do the Thrall Questline that starts from your capital -> Hyjal ect ect, then start up on the Molten Front Dailies - First days worth of work will net you a 365 item, maybe get a Crafted Legs, or Darkmoon Card. Maybe you have a Archaeology Ring or trinket depending on your spec ofc

It's not realy hard gearing up, and - imo - alot more fullfilling to do it properly, rather than grabbing a few 377 items and forcing other people in LFR to carry you while you sit back and do those notorious 7k dps.

Quote Originally Posted by Tides View Post

I just dinged on my Death Knight 2 days ago. I've run normal dungs heroics and a few Zul's, almost at the ilvl to enter Looking for Raid as Blood or Frost now, without any major headaches.

It's not alot of trouble to go out and grab the Valor Point BoE's, the Cloak from the Thrall Questline, a hour more to do the intro quests to Molten Front for another quick 365..

For the OP - Get Valor BoE's, do the Thrall Questline that starts from your capital -> Hyjal ect ect, then start up on the Molten Front Dailies - First days worth of work will net you a 365 item, maybe get a Crafted Legs, or Darkmoon Card. Maybe you have a Archaeology Ring or trinket depending on your spec ofc

It's not realy hard gearing up, and - imo - alot more fullfilling to do it properly, rather than grabbing a few 377 items and forcing other people in LFR to carry you while you sit back and do those notorious 7k dps.
    My gear is already tons better, I'm at a 343 equipped.. and have no problems at all healing heroics !. I've never done the Molten Front Dailies, I'll have to check them out!

Quote Originally Posted by Laqweeta View Post
    My gear is already tons better, I'm at a 343 equipped.. and have no problems at all healing heroics !. I've never done the Molten Front Dailies, I'll have to check them out!
    If you've done the Hyjal Questline - You need to have done up to a certain point to unlock the start of the Dailies - Assiena's Miracle i belive you must have done to be able to start the questline.. Anyways! The Molten Front is started from Sanctuary of Malorne.

If you chose to continue the dailies every day, you end up getting a nifty title, flaming hippogryph a vanity item to transform you into a flame druid and tons of other funky stuff

If you never did them before, i can definently say, its worth doing em on the main to get those lose ends tied up in these semi boring times before the next expansion

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tides View Post

Pretty much this, I have done it for all 6 85's I own, buying 377's and expecting to be carried is just selfish and lazy, why do the lazy ones deserve gear over the one's that are doing the raid in the required gear? And to one of the guys that quoted me, you can buy your way into PvE there's plenty of BoE's on AH that are made for PvE and the same goes for PvP, those 377's are a start. LFR/Dungeon system not counting PvP gear ilvl would work, people need to stop being lazy.
    Last edited by NatePsy; 2012-04-03 at 06:24 AM.

Pretty much this, I have done it for all 6 85's I own, buying 377's and expecting to be carried is just selfish and lazy, why do the lazy ones deserve gear over the one's that are doing the raid in the required gear? And to one of the guys that quoted me, you can buy your way into PvE, buying PvE gear and the same goes for PvP, those 377's are a start. LFR/Dungeon system not counting PvP gear ilvl would work, people need to stop being lazy.
    I was against this pvp-crap in pve for a long time ... but with blizzard failing to offer craftable/affordable pve stuff at the same level the pvp-crap comes out way ahead of the 333 pve stuff that is meant to prepare us for normal heroics. So everyone who still sticks to the old mantra "pvp is bad in pve" is not looking at the stats ... just repeating what was true nearly two years ago.
    --
    The cataclysm broke the world ... and the pandas could not fix it!

Quote Originally Posted by Rilgana View Post
    So everyone who still sticks to the old mantra "pvp is bad in pve" is not looking at the stats ... just repeating what was true nearly two years ago.
    378 Epics from Hour of Twilight Heroic 5mans beat 377 Pvp Blues by miles

There's no excuse. If you're using 377 Blues in LFR, it's you being lazy, enjoying to be carried.

Personally i hate underpreforming, i wouldnt be able to live with myself doing less damage than the tanks in LFR.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilly32 View Post
    Have you tried gearing up the old way lately? Its impossible to do. I use 50% mana on trash pulls, do 18k HPS, and 3 people still die and this is with a 387 ilvl. The only people still doing regular heroics are too bad for the new ones. Buy the 377 pvp gear and just skip them. Its not worth the self torture of running with 3 DPS who refuse to break 7K DPS and think standing in fire or getting cleaved is "cool" and then your tank refuses to gem and only has 150k health fully buffed.
    This has been my experience in the regular heroics. I refuse to to them anymore

---------- Post added 2012-04-03 at 01:34 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Draagn View Post

This is the absolute fastest and easiest, along with queuing for the new Twilight Heroics. If you're looking for the fastest way, doing it any other way is a waste of time. The Thrall quest line for a 365 cloak is a waste of time now (unless you want to do the content, which is fine, but we're talking about gearing the fastest way possible).

And if you're good at your class, it's impossible being the worst in your group (hence you won't be carried.).
    Last edited by ablib; 2012-04-03 at 06:36 AM.

[QUOTE=Laqweeta;16238027Is there any other way of getting gear easy? [/QUOTE]

Here is my story:

I dinged 85 on DK, did some initial normal runs and left there. Average ilvl ~340 with blue dungeon drops and green quest things. Been a bit lucky as I had Headless Horseman Horrific Helm + his blade. But average ilvl you already know. Too low for anything funny. And few days ago I decided I want to do LFR.

That requires ilvl of 372. Quick research and what I found:
    - Thrall marriage quest line (already mentioned) gives you good cape
    - Molten Front entry quests provide some jewelery (in my case it gave also boots - tanking tho but ilvl matters)
    - "cheat" with AH and PvP gear. Simply buy and replace the worst part. In my case it was belt, wrists and I already jumped into 353.

From now on you can queue for Hour of Twilight heroics - really worth. Not only you get 150 VP for each run but as you are doing them for the firs time there are quests waiting. And rewards from them are sweet. Rings, weapons, armor... Plus you get a chance for a drop from a boss.

At the end of a day I had brand new shoulders, legs, boots, gloves, head and 2 weapons (1h for dual wielding and 2h axe from Baine). Also dungeon quest rewards like rings. Early morning I was ~340. At the end of a day I was 372 and LFR ready and VP capped. Next day I did two LFR (siege and fall). I got hand token, chest token and saw shoulders from spine (lost the roll but in the end I received those as winner already had HC shoulders and was kind enough to pass on me).

So it took me 1 day to get from Cata normals into LFR. Total cost: 440g (AH PvP gear).

Honestly, it shouldn't even go that far. Pvp gear you're WEARING should count, they need to change it so that it doesn't detect what's in your BAGS to get into certain dungeon/raids with restrictions.

Deleted
    As healer it's a different story, you need to outgear heroics because people want to zerg them standing in the fire and holding aggro being a dps... If you can just reach the minimum ilvl required it's better you keep running normals buying JP stuffs and get your ilvl near 345.