Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Are the specs good enough for WOW?

Hey there Im thinkin about buying the Dell XPS m170 laptop. its specs are ' Dell XPS M1730 gaming laptop
    Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor T7500 (4M Cache, 2.20ghz)
    2GB DDR2 SDRAM at 677 MHz(upgradable)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8700M GT Graphics '

Do you think this is good enough for WOW and on what settings? I dont mind playing on any settings. Im not a hardcore player I mainly just do arena at around 2k mmr and some BG's and Raid Finder for fun. I know some of you might say get a better one but its all I can afford at the moment. Any type of feedback will be really appreciated. Thanks x
    Last edited by mmoc7f310a87bb; 2012-04-03 at 11:36 AM.

You will certainly be able to play wow, however dont expect anything above low/medium imo.

Edit: IMO you should just save up and buy a good computer, its better for you and saves you money in the long run.

Kalganized on the Gaming and Tech forums on the official worldofwarcraft.com forums has a very good guide, and is very helpful himself.

Forums are down right now though. ❤

Deleted
    It will work. Sometimes maybe you'll have some FPS problems (e.g 25man raids).
    You won't be able to play on settings above low/mid.

Deleted
    I know I would but I really need a laptop at the moment

Deleted
    What are you paying for it?

Just note that that is really old hardware. Like, ancient. The T7500 was released in 2006. Unless you are getting it incredibly cheap I'd advise you to look elsewhere.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    What are you paying for it?

Just note that that is really old hardware. Like, ancient. The T7500 was released in 2006. Unless you are getting it incredibly cheap I'd advise you to look elsewhere.
    I Could buy it for £300. What ya think?

Deleted
    Not worth it. Unless you can get it for £80 or something similar I wouldn't get it. A lot has happened in the hardware department in the past 6 years and you can get a lot better laptop for your money. Heck, you can even build a fully capable gaming rig with current hardware for that money if you strike some lucky deals.

In short, it's junk. Old, ancient junk.

Deleted
    Not worth it. Unless you can get it for £80 or something similar I wouldn't get it. A lot has happened in the hardware department in the past 6 years and you can get a lot better laptop for your money. Heck, you can even build a fully capable gaming rig with current hardware for that money if you strike some lucky deals.

Is there anything you'd reccomend?

Exactly. With that money you could buy a decent motherboard and CPU and save a little more for a older graphics card, then later upgrade that if you ever wish!

Now to answer your question, YES! That computer will run WoW on high settings. I'm currently using a worse processors, Intel Pentium E2180 1MB Cache @ 2GHz, and i'm playing with most the setings as far as they can go except for the Shadows and view distance with a frame rate varying 40-50. When it comes to raids it kills me >.< And the same will happen for you to (even on low settings.)
    Last edited by Libram; 2012-04-03 at 12:12 PM.

Deleted
    Well, your budget is slim but here is at least a recommendation (something to look into):

RAM: http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/c...am-313332.html
    PSU: http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/c...550s-ukb9.html
    CASE: http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/c...t45ub-u01.html
    Motherboard: http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/c...h61m-s2pv.html
    CPU: http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/c...80623g840.html
    GPU: http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/c.../nov-6850.html

That leaves you at £277. Mind that the above doesn't include an Operating System unfortunately, but if you are a student you could potentially pick up Windows for free through MSDNAA. Of course, you would still need a keyboard and mouse, as well as a monitor.

Quote Originally Posted by Libram View Post
    Now to answer your question, YES! That computer run WoW on high settings. I'm currently using a worse processors, Intel Pentium E2180 1MB Cache @ 2GHz, and i'm playing with most the setings as far as they can go except for the Shadows and view distance. When it comes to raids it kills me >.< And the same will happen for you to (even on low settings.)
    I seriously doubt this. Perhaps you reach playable framerate in solo content while looking down into the ground at high/ultra, but I'd be surprised if that can even keep a solid 25fps in 5-mans, even with a good GPU, with the settings you claim to use.
    Last edited by mmoc7c6c75675f; 2012-04-03 at 12:10 PM.

You can also salvage your older case, optical drive, and hard drive to save money to! Just don't forget to buy Windows 7 (or re-install it if you have retail.) You can buy the Windows 7 64-bit OEM for $99 for the new build as well.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Libram View Post
    You can also salvage your older case, optical drive, and hard drive to save money to! Just don't forget to buy Windows 7 (or re-install it if you have retail.) You can buy the Windows 7 64-bit OEM for $99 for the new build as well.
    1. ODD and HDD are most likely IDE considering what he was willing to upgrade to.
    2. Case can be salvage as long as it can house the components.
    3. If you are a student, check with your administration first. As I said earlier, you can pick up Windows for free through MSDNAA.

I seriously doubt this. Perhaps you reach playable framerate in solo content while looking down into the ground at high/ultra, but I'd be surprised if that can even keep a solid 25fps in 5-mans, even with a good GPU, with the settings you claim to use.
    I just said it kills me in raids... And 5 mans are playable at 30-40 frames. Im not using chip-set graphics here now!
    Shadows and view distance are killer in WoW. Sun shafts, ground detail, Anti Aliasing, and Multisampling are not very demanding. Partical effects, view distance and shadows are. I keep the shadows on low and view distance on good... Partical effects go down in 25-man raids or large scale Battlegrounds.
    Last edited by Libram; 2012-04-03 at 12:21 PM.

Deleted
    I Dont need to play on the best settings as im really only a casual player. So im just looking for a good all around laptop that can handle wow keep itself cool and wont melt inside like my last laptop. Oh and some tips on keepin my laptop cool would be awesome!

Deleted
    Well, if you really want a laptop and a desktop isn't an option my honest recommendation is to save your money. AMD is just a month or so away from releasing their new Trinity APUs. A laptop based on that hardware might be of interest for you as it is a cheap alternative to a CPU and GPU combo. I doubt you will find a good laptop for £300 though, but I've seen prices mentioned at around £400.

A Trinity based laptop would also far outperform what you linked initially. Like, run circles. Backwards. While joggling.

I built a system around black friday for about $250 dollars USD. That was while salvaging my PSU/keyboard/mouse. I got some really lucky deals (including $18 for an 18.5" monitor) so it's possible to build a pretty decent system for cheap.

On another note though, WoW can run on pretty much anything. I was playing on the baby I linked below since TBC with some small lag issues.

http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/ema...-31556256.html

Deleted
    How about these specs marest? what do you think??
    Specs as follows:
    Core 2 duo 2.5 ghz
    160gb x2 hdd
    Twin sli geforce 8700
    4 gb ddr2 memory
    Windows 7 64 bit

Quote Originally Posted by Dee23 View Post
    Core 2 duo 2.5 ghz
    160gb x2 hdd
    Twin sli geforce 8700
    4 gb ddr2 memory
    That's again 4-5 years old stuff. Really not recommended to get second-hand junk as your primary computer.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee23 View Post
    How about these specs marest? what do you think??
    What's wrong with what I linked? That's a desktop computer sure, but it beats anything you have linked with miles and at that budget you don't have much choice.

Either get that or wait for a Trinity-based laptop. That's my honest recommendation. Getting 6, hell even 3 year old hardware is a waste.