[Anime] The New Season's Anime

What're your thoughts on the latest Anime Season?

I've watched through a few of the new shows so far, Ozuma, the early starter has my attention for now, I'm liking the retro-styling quite a lot. It's an old-school anime, in that, if you watched a lot of vintage anime, you'll probably know what to expect and it certainly has the feel.

Zetman is probably going to be the biggest train-wreck for me, as a fan of the Manga, I'm kind of disappointed to see that they've compressed the 200~ pages of the first 12 chapters/volume 1 into 20 minutes of screen time. Which is an awful way to establish the series. The animation was decent enough, but it was impossible to take it seriously as characters were introduced, killed off seconds later, flashes back and forth between different situations... it's just a mess.

Space Brothers could be the alternative hit of the Season so far, first episode is good, animation's at a decent quality, I like the art-style, presentation and characters. It could end up being a middle of the run show, but for now, I 'll definitely be checking out the next few episodes.
    Last edited by Shinzai; 2012-04-12 at 11:47 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    idk about you but, im still waiting for mirai nikki to finish the anime before i began one of the new spring season animes. I've read over 50 mangas and watched over 70 animes so far and i just simply want a 2nd part to seikon no qwaser 2 -_-, i dont care about the ecchi, the story and the action is where is at!

I read Zetman up to volume 4 or 5. When i heard the anime series was about to come out i thought i might as well wait for it.

The anime ruined the first episode so hard. The fact that they cut out so many things, and put stuff in there that wasen't even in the manga, ruined it for me. It feels like the anime of Zetman is gonna follow a similar pattern to like this. Which means i'm dropping it all togheter.

Lupin III - Mine Fujiko to Iu Onna: Going back to Lupin The 3rd prehistory with this series, Takeshi KOIKE and Sayo Yamamoto give us the most adult and out-right stylish reincarnation of Lupin III yet. It take us to a point in time where Lupin and Mine didn't yet know each other and details their first adventure and face off, as they both turn out to be going after the same questionable cult and it's drug supply.

The artistry on show is *really* impressive here, combining the old-school Lupin III styles with KOIKE's kinetic, vibrant and oversaturated style (he's the guy behind the animation of such classics as Blood: The Last Vampire, Ninja Scroll, Redline and more). I can't wait to see how they follow up this visually sumptuous opening episode, but this is definitely one to keep an eye on.

Sakamichi no Apollon (The Kids On The Slope): I'm thinking this will be my favorite series of the season and it's definitely one I'm really interested in seeing the next episode of already. The story's starting off in the typical Japanese kids in school, going from introverts and loners to making a close-knit group of friends, with hijinks ensuing. The style in which it's playing out in feels like a cross between BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad and Cowboy Bebop, via the Wonder Years. Now don't get me wrong, this isn't a kinetic mix-up from the get go; Instead, it hints at things to come, it nods at the talent behind it and takes its time. This is just a warm up; a muted sound check of what's to follow.

The story starts to thrum through the fairly stilted opening minutes as we are gradually introduced to the musical drive between the main character's lives.

Kaoru, the main character, is a quiet guy who becomes nauseous when stressed, seeming very muchly like the typical 'Anime loser guy' that tends to be the center of most Anime these days. He's recently moved to the country town where he's starting school, after having lived in a large city most of his life. He appears to be quite introverted at first and is overtly aware of the natural divide in Japanese social culture, between a rich city kid like him and the country dwellers he now has to go to school with. However, unlike most feeble lead characters, he's willing to stand up for himself and tries not to get pushed around by others. His love is classical music and playing the piano. He's reserved and quiet for the most part.

Sentaro quickly becomes the ying to Kaoru's yang, very muchly the assertive 'if you want it, take it' type of guy, who will fight for what he thinks his right and doesn't much care about the trivialities of day-to-day life. He almost instantly latches onto Kaoru, perhaps seeing that there's someone more interesting hiding under his glacial exterior. He's a guy who likes to have fun and lives for the now, perhaps looking to instill the same concepts in Kaoru. He's an outsider in and out of the class room, due to his tough appearance, his lack of respect for the classes he's meant to show up for and he has a reputation for it. His love is jazz and playing the drums.

The first episode throws these two characters together after giving us a few minutes of the daily school life, which is when the true driving force of the show is made utterly apparent. The music. During a brief fight scene that is animated fluidly, with a shaky-cam style close-up of the combat, you can almost feel the jazz that's playing in the background driving everything to do with the scene. From the camera's anarchic roving to the unpracticed slugging that happens, it all feels very reminiscent of the first time we saw Spike Spiegel fighting in Cowboy Bebop. And what an apt comparison between Sentaro and Spike, given that this series is being directed by Shinichiro Watanabe, the same guy who directed both the Cowboy Bebop series and film and the music is in the hands of Yoko Kanno. The show is also set in the 1960s, a time of musical revolution and the appreciation for the artists and sounds of the time are allowed to flow through almost every moment of the episode. It's been a while since Shincichiro and Yoko last paired up and it sure has been worth the wait.

Anyway, this was meant to be just a brief sumamry of the show, but since it hits on so much that interests me, combining Anime and the sensibilities of classical music with the freeform chaos of jazz. Definitely one to watch, as it can only get better.

10+ Year Old Account
    anime lately has been complete shit with a few exceptions but jormungand was pretty good

Dr.Pepper is made from fairy tears. Pokemon IGN: Josh FC: 0662-4407-8552

10+ Year Old Account
    This season is turning out to be real promising. Between a few adaptations of some manga series I quite enjoy (Sankarea, Medaka Box, and Accel World) and a few sequels to great series (Fate/Zero, Kore wa Zombie desu ka?, Saki) one with an incredible pedigree (Sakamichi no Appollon) then toss in a couple that surprised the dell outa me (Shirokumo Cafe, Acchi Kochi) and this season is looking great, and that is just of the ones I have seen! Still need to watch like Lupin III, Nano no Kanojo X, Jormungand, Haiyore Nyaruko-san, and Ozuma. Phew, I am going to be busy. I still need to catch up with the last season as well!

Dusk Maiden Of Amnesia: Unfortunately, a fairly average seeming show here, despite a promising sounding premise. Basically a group of kids make a paranormal investigation after-hours club (as a lot of recent generic Anime seems to be focusing on fairly silly after-hours clubs), for which the club president Yuuko Kanoe is not present. Due to being dead. And a ghost. Who actually is present, but the character we're following at the start, a dense but determined girl called Okonogi Momoe, can't see her.

Anyway, the ghost leading the paranormal group tends to just mess around and do vaguely comical poltergeist... stuff. Apparently Okonogi Momoe is incredibly unobservant/stupid as she doesn't notice half of the things going on around her, or puts the movement of objects and such down to the wind. After this tedium, two more club members arrive, an annoying archetypical guy who's normal and somewhat useless, but who gets the hot girl for no real reason (despite her being a ghost), called Teiichi Niiya (stupid excuse for girls to make cat-like 'nyaa' sounds) and also Kirie Kanoe who is the 'played straight, no messing around' type, who has the personality of a brush.

So yeah, anyway, the group decides to hunt down the cause of ghostly goings on in the school grounds. Stupid stuff occurs to no consequence and it's also revealed that the Yuuko has amnesia. And things may have happened in the past. Also there's a rock with her name on it half way up a mountain, which happens to have a bell under it.

I was kind of hoping this would be more like an illegitimate child of Another, which was a slow burning but great show, however, it seems like it's just trash atm. Probably not going to follow up on.

10+ Year Old Account
    As much as Zetman is changing things I'm still going to be watching along. Because some of the only series I only watched anyways ended and Zetman in general is as close to a anime version of Kamen Rider as possible with what's airing right now.

Amazing season:

Polar Bear Cafe, Tsuritama, Sankarea (favorite so far), Accel World, Acchi Kocchi, OtomeXAmnesia, Jormugand, Sakamichi no Apollon, Haiyore Nyaruko-san!, and Mysterious Girlfreind X, really good stuff.

Tsumiki, Rea, Cthuko, Nyaruko, Urabe, Yuuko, and Kuroyukihime, such high-tier waifu material. Hnnnnng.

So far the ones standing out to me is Sankarea, Mysetious Girlfriend X, Polar Bear Cafe, and Tsuritama.

Polar Bear Cafe I wasn't going to even pick up until I heard some good things about it from /a/, I gave the first episode a go and fell in love, such amazing voice talent was poured into this, and it's ridiculously enjoyable.

Sankarea is just really well done, down to the animation, atmosphere, and characters. Fururuya is one of the best male protags I've seen in a long time and I really like that. The zombie references are really fun, and the drama is well done without faltering the series to become so hammy melodrama.

Mysterious Girlfriend X, oh you, oh you crazy crazy show you. I can't even explain it, everything about this show is incredibly entertaining and bizarre, and I absolutely love it.

Tsuritama is just good old fashion crazy fun, but I sense a hint of tragedy bound to happen, and so far only on episode 2, some really nice character development has happened. Also, tapioca.
    Last edited by Digglett; 2012-04-21 at 07:42 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Digglett: You forgot Medaka Box!

I agree with you on the others (have not seen Tsuritama yet but I am going to have to now) especially Sankarea. Granted, it is only 3 episodes in, but they have done an amazing job at keeping it very true to the manga.

P.S. You changes your av/sig again!

Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    Digglett: You forgot Medaka Box!

I agree with you on the others (have not seen Tsuritama yet but I am going to have to now) especially Sankarea. Granted, it is only 3 episodes in, but they have done an amazing job at keeping it very true to the manga.

P.S. You changes your av/sig again!
    I knew I forgot one, I took a lot of series on this season.

Deleted
    Sankarea is pretty great and weird thing is that is Deen is making a great adaption for once (so far). Then we have ofc the continuation of Fate/zero, in my eyes its a masterpiece. tho I'm love Type-moon so a bit bias maybe, but its also only good anime adaption of a Type-moon work. Haven't really had time to watch other series yet this season but I save the most of them until they are complete, but will give maybe 2-3 a chance when I feel like it.