Page 11 of 101 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nindoriel View Post
    Excel online. Most exciting part was the character creation screen. There's no content, it's boring. Game seems to have a pretty solid fanbase, but I don't get why. People always tell me yeah there's stuff to do, but they don't throw it at you. I don't know, it didn't excite me. I loved the idea of a game set in space. The back story of the different races/nations seemed interesting, but beyond the character creation screen I didn't see any of that.
    People like the idea of pure sandbox game, where you can basically do whatever you want rather than game spoon-feeding a measured and balanced "doses" of content. That appeals to a lot of people.
    The night is dark and full of terrors...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by namelessone View Post
    People like the idea of pure sandbox game, where you can basically do whatever you want rather than game spoon-feeding a measured and balanced "doses" of content. That appeals to a lot of people.
    I don't get the "do whatever you want" argument. Every game has limits. But what does a sandbox game offer compared to a game like WoW? Isn't the only difference between WoW and a sandbox game, that WoW has content? Remove all the content in WoW and you have a sandbox game. But how does the lack of something give you more to do?

I don't get the "do whatever you want" argument. Every game has limits. But what does a sandbox game offer compared to a game like WoW? Isn't the only difference between WoW and a sandbox game, that WoW has content? Remove all the content in WoW and you have a sandbox game. But how does the lack of something give you more to do?
    WoW has constraints. EVE does not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
    Don't use facts, they unsettle peoples' prejudices, and once that happens the flames start.
    Quote Originally Posted by krethos View Post
    Its Science, just ask Albert Einstien, he invented Space

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think you get the concept of what a sandbox game is. It's all about giving you the tools and freedom to play how you want to play.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Lets say you have a two 3 inch lines. One is all red and the other is 48% red and 52% blue. Does that mean there's a 50-50 chance they're both red or is the second line matching the all red line by 48%?
    ^^^ Wells using an analogy

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by saberon View Post
    WoW has constraints. EVE does not.
    Every game has constraints.

Quote Originally Posted by xylophone View Post
    I don't think you get the concept of what a sandbox game is. It's all about giving you the tools and freedom to play how you want to play.
    This is the exact same case for WoW. "Freedom to play how you want to play". Honestly, explain to me how you can't do the same in every other MMO. If you want to just focus on crafting you can dedicate yourself to that. If all you want to do is PvP - go ahead.
    Last edited by mmocedbf46d113; 2012-06-16 at 10:20 AM.

Deleted
    This is the exact same case for WoW. "Freedom to play how you want to play". Honestly, explain to me how you can't do the same in every other MMO. If you want to just focus on crafting you can dedicate yourself to that. If all you want to do is PvP - go ahead.

It's a lot more open, you don't expect content to be created for you, rather you create it yourself. EVE Online has nothing to do with wow, you're just ignorant and fail to grasp the sandbox concept.

Basically, the game isn't for you, not everyone can like and play it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfsage View Post
    It's a lot more open, you don't expect content to be created for you, rather you create it yourself. EVE Online has nothing to do with wow, you're just ignorant and fail to grasp the sandbox concept.

Basically, the game isn't for you, not everyone can like and play it.
    Right, Sandbox means the developers don't create content, the users do that. But how do they do that? Are you telling me players can't "create content" in WoW? WoW is as open as it can be. You can go everywhere, you can do everything. But it's not just WoW, take games like SWTOR or LOTRO.

I'm perfectly familiar with Sandbox MMOs, I played SWG for a while. The problem is, while you can go anywhere you want to, there's just no reason to. Sure player events in social hubs, fine, but you have the same tools for "player-created content" in Theme Park MMOs.

10+ Year Old Account
    could you veteran eve pilots somehow encourage me to play eve online ?
    show me some interesting videos with aspects of the game (forget about mining lol).

convince me that there is something to do in eve. ive played 51 days and eventually quit (hopefully just took a break) cuz i didnt know wtf to do except for repeating military missions. even WoW has more variety of quests.
    nonetheless i want to find my place in eve.

Deleted
    You are forgetting one of the biggest things about a sandbox. there are no classes, only skills and ships. also there are no lockouts. Any way, the game is not for you. guys luck finding something that suits you. This thread is not about whether the game is good or bad, it is just a thread for mmo champ people to discuss things happening in the game. outsiders are welcome but for the most part we could care less what you think.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinna View Post
    You are forgetting one of the biggest things about a sandbox. there are no classes, only skills and ships. also there are no lockouts. Any way, the game is not for you. guys luck finding something that suits you. This thread is not about whether the game is good or bad, it is just a thread for mmo champ people to discuss things happening in the game. outsiders are welcome but for the most part we could care less what you think.
    I'm sorry, but there was a thread open to discuss whether people tryed out EVE and whether they liked it or not. A mod closed it and posted a link to this thread.

Also it's "couldn't care less". If you actually could care less, that would mean you care somewhat.
    Last edited by mmocedbf46d113; 2012-06-16 at 02:43 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Khatolic View Post
    show me some interesting videos with aspects of the game (forget about mining lol).

convince me that there is something to do in eve. ive played 51 days and eventually quit (hopefully just took a break) cuz i didnt know wtf to do except for repeating military missions. even WoW has more variety of quests.
    Correct me if im wrong vet players.... But joining a Corp sets off a entire new range of possibilities right?

I just joined one last night and went on runs mining and defending. It was fun. I mean i feel like that is literally the very tippy tip of the ice burg.

When a wild forum troll appears

Quote Originally Posted by Khatolic View Post

Things to do in EVE Online

It all boils down to: You need to find something to do, and people to do it with. For just about everybody this game is not fun if you play it alone. There are some oddball people out there that enjoy solo, but most people grow tired of it quickly. Find a group of fun people that are on vent/teamspeak/mumble and you'll enjoy this game a lot more. Off that list, my top suggestions atm would be Exploratoin, Incursion running, or Factional Warfare. The first 2 make you rich, and factional warfare will provide you with a decent PvP setting.

Quote Originally Posted by kumduh View Post
    Things to do in EVE Online

It all boils down to: You need to find something to do, and people to do it with. For just about everybody this game is not fun if you play it alone. There are some oddball people out there that enjoy solo, but most people grow tired of it quickly. Find a group of fun people that are on vent/teamspeak/mumble and you'll enjoy this game a lot more. Off that list, my top suggestions atm would be Exploratoin, Incursion running, or Factional Warfare. The first 2 make you rich, and factional warfare will provide you with a decent PvP setting.
    I tried 90% of these boxes in my 3 years eve carrer, nothing gave me fun. Alliance/corp stuff requires to much devotion and time investment while burning those isks takes seconds. All industrial is "lets play excel and stressfull life of will-they-undercut-me-again?!" meh. While this graphical summary looks impressive, in the end you will have 10x more fun in lol or wow. Sandbox is not boring if you have a group (not 2-3 ppl) of friends/collegues you know and can trust, but still life wins in this case. Wow or lol or any moba/theme park does not require massive amount of grind/time/money to have fun. They give you all and you can do whatever you want, while, in sandbox, you must work your ass of for that.

The truth about sandbox? endgame is after tons of hours spend on poinfull grind. Every sandbox I played works that way. You wan't to have fun with the best of the best? Pay alot/grind to death. While playing sandbox, I feel like I am working, becoming a bot of a huge mechanism that needs everyone. In moba/theme park your actions do not have impact on the whole universe and that is good.

So, just like You said, "play it solo, you will grow tired quickly". I played and I play solo. Sandbox is not for soloers (not taking into account super rich ppl that control the market).
    Last edited by Slaughty8; 2012-06-16 at 04:21 PM.

I tried 90% of these boxes in my 3 years eve carrer, nothing gave me fun. Alliance/corp stuff requires to much devotion and time investment while burning those isks takes seconds. All industrial is "lets play excel and stressfull life of will-they-undercut-me-again?!" meh. While this graphical summary looks impressive, in the end you will have 10x more fun in lol or wow. Sandbox is not boring if you have a group (not 2-3 ppl) of friends/collegues you know and can trust, but still life wins in this case. Wow or lol or any moba/theme park does not require massive amount of grind/time/money to have fun. They give you all and you can do whatever you want, while, in sandbox, you must work your ass of for that.
    Industry is not all about spreadsheets. Moon mining, RND, Mining ect. Building can either require a spreadsheet or someone with a good eye for numbers. Undercutting happens in every game.

Some people like games where you have to dedicate time to get good or do awsome stuff in the game, Complaining that it isnt for people who dont have the time to do this doesnt help your cause.

The reason Eve is still around today is becuase CCP doesnt cater to Casual gamers like most games nowadays do. They focus on the hardcore players. Eve is not new player friendly, You can scam, you can pirate, you can grief people in game and its all legit. How many other games dont have rules against this. So in short this is not the game for someone whos going to put minimal effort in and wants max reward.

Quote Originally Posted by u9k13tjc View Post
    nullsec is boring, it all safe alliances.,...

get in lowsec thats where the action is
    Come play the game of drones. It's eve on hard mode. Rest of nullsec is quite safe unfortunately.

---------- Post added 2012-06-16 at 12:42 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Slaughty8 View Post
    So, just like You said, "play it solo, you will grow tired quickly". I played and I play solo. Sandbox is not for soloers (not taking into account super rich ppl that control the market).
    Get a sabre. Find a pipe. Go have some solo fun.

Get a bomber. Find a mining op. Go have some solo fun.

Get a destroyer. Find a high sec hauler or miner. Go have some solo fun.

Get a tanked out hauler with a fair bit of valuable cargo. Find a trigger happy solo ganker. Go have some solo fun.

It's really easy to find little niches where a solo player can have fun. But you have to be a little creative. If you're just going to mine or rat or fight people with whatever ship you just happen to be in, well solo is probably going to go quite poorly for you.
    Last edited by Zdrasti; 2012-06-16 at 05:42 PM.

Deleted
    Also it's "couldn't care less". If you actually could care less, that would mean you care somewhat.
    I could care less about people picking up on grammar mistakes in forum posts. How about I retract my entire post because of it!

Edit: As I know it's coming; If I really did care less, I wouldn't have even posted this, so yes, I could care less, but then you would never have known, would you?

I care that he cares that you don't care that you care.

This message brought to you by Quafe Zero!

Warning: Quafe Zero is designed for capsuleer use only. Side effects experienced by non-capsuleers include but are not limited to dizziness, blindness, nausea, internal hemorrhaging, IBS, sleepwalking, amnesia, sexual deviancy, vision changes, acute epidermal sloughing, partial or total loss of motor control, and minor skin rash.
    Quafe Zero is manufactured in the Phoenix constellation.

Well this thread is certainly entertaining.

Deleted

Anyone else in love with this new beauty?

Too bad it is only useful for noobs. CCP has a habit of making super awesome models, but leaving them underused in some quickly forgotten role.

I certaintly hope the mining barge/exhumer hulls get redesigned to be like the ORE frigate.
    Last edited by Sunshine; 2012-06-19 at 03:15 PM. Reason: thumbnailed

The mining ship redesign is nice for new miners but pretty pointless for those of us allready in hulks, The mack change is nice for ice mining, More afk