Page 32 of 101 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    you can pick all paths and make money with all paths. Ship skills are almost never wasted skillpoints though. You might want to start with missions and build a cruiser to get yourself some isk to get proper equipment. On the other hand, if you're a brilliant strategist on the financial market, no one will hold you back.

And join a corp that helps new people.
    Last edited by Vespian; 2013-01-15 at 10:01 PM.

When they say carrier, they mean freighter. Carriers are capital ships that take about a year to train into properly. Freighters are good for hauling lots of goods.

Quote Originally Posted by dragothica View Post
    Aren't they actually misspelling Career as Carrier instead?
    Indeed we are

Quote Originally Posted by kumduh View Post
    When they say carrier, they mean freighter. Carriers are capital ships that take about a year to train into properly. Freighters are good for hauling lots of goods.
    I meant to say Cruiser myself, but ended up making that carrier. Confusion all-over.

Probably can find it online but figured I'll ask in the megathread... the purpose of certificates?

To give you a general idea of skills that are useful. Think of it as an achievement system. The top achievement in the game is Hull Tanking Elite

I re-restarted lol, luckily only a couple days training in but I am set. Kinda for naming / RP reasons.
    Current plan is 3 accounts.
    One Caldari for missile boats (aiming for Tengu)
    One Gallente for drone boats
    One Amarr / Minmatar who will mostly be a support character and eventually train into laser / projectile boats

With the skill split happening soon they're all training to get all racial cruisers to 3 and destroyers / battlecruisers to 5 which works out to be several million skill points free.

This idea might be totally stupid, but bear with me.

There are supposed to be 0.0 sec pirate stations. I'm not sure about their exact position currently, but no doubt EVE wiki has data on that. Since I simply do not know what to expect in 0.0 sec, would it be an idea to roll an alt that " joins" the pirate faction from the tutorial (assuming there is a "join pirates" option in the tutorial as I've read in some places)? My salvaging alt could no doubt use a little more training, but for my basic needs, he's perfectly fine the way he is. So the way I see it, I can roll a pirate alt on that account and go 0.0 sec with virtually no risk of losing major amounts of isk and getting to know 0.0 sec from the start. Or I could make a char on my mining alt account.

Basic plan:
    - Do tutorial, join pirate faction of my choice (probably one pirate faction per default faction).
    - Join a 0.0 corp that allows me to grow into a frigate pvp role and allows me to fly missions in their sector.
    - Share money from my two "main" accounts.
    - Focus on Destroyer/TII frigate training for level 1/2 missions.
    - Learn to live, fight and survive in nullsec.

Is this a good plan?

Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    This idea might be totally stupid, but bear with me.

There are supposed to be 0.0 sec pirate stations. I'm not sure about their exact position currently, but no doubt EVE wiki has data on that. Since I simply do not know what to expect in 0.0 sec, would it be an idea to roll an alt that " joins" the pirate faction from the tutorial (assuming there is a "join pirates" option in the tutorial as I've read in some places)? My salvaging alt could no doubt use a little more training, but for my basic needs, he's perfectly fine the way he is. So the way I see it, I can roll a pirate alt on that account and go 0.0 sec with virtually no risk of losing major amounts of isk and getting to know 0.0 sec from the start. Or I could make a char on my mining alt account.

Basic plan:
    - Do tutorial, join pirate faction of my choice (probably one pirate faction per default faction).
    - Join a 0.0 corp that allows me to grow into a frigate pvp role and allows me to fly missions in their sector.
    - Share money from my two "main" accounts.
    - Focus on Destroyer/TII frigate training for level 1/2 missions.
    - Learn to live, fight and survive in nullsec.

Is this a good plan?
    Yes there are pirate stations in null sec but they are often camped and you can't join them, only do missions.

TBH if you want to go null sec join a player corp (check the the EVE recruitment forums), plenty don't mind new players and can teach you how to survive out there.
    Just be weary of some scams where they might offer to transport your stuff there or ask for a fee. You will lose it.

Just remember: If you can't afford to lose it then don't fly it because you will die.
    Oh and remember to update your clone

Quote Originally Posted by Schmittay View Post
    Yes there are pirate stations in null sec but they are often camped and you can't join them, only do missions.

TBH if you want to go null sec join a player corp (check the the EVE recruitment forums), plenty don't mind new players and can teach you how to survive out there.
    Just be weary of some scams where they might offer to transport your stuff there or ask for a fee. You will lose it.

Just remember: If you can't afford to lose it then don't fly it because you will die.
    Oh and remember to update your clone
    I'll be flying frigates (a 100% new char) I wasn't intending on joining them, I was going to "join" them. I tried to make that clear with the quotations. Other than that, yeah what you said is exactly how I think this will go.

Picked up this guide to piracy on my search on the interwebz.
    http://dl.eve-files.com/media/corp/T...Piracy_2.1.pdf
    Last edited by Vespian; 2013-01-16 at 07:08 AM.

I could tell you to just join TEST/Honey Badger Coalition, because we own a hefty portion of the Southwestern portion of the map, and we take just about anyone who puts in the time to make an application, but that would be propaganda.

I could also tell you that since TEST/HBC owns MORE SPACE THAN WE KNOW WHAT TO DO WITH you could probably base out of the Blood Raider NPC stations in Delve with relative ease. Since there isn't any fighting going on in Delve any more other than the occasional gate camp, you could live there rather easily without having to join a corp. When I was running lvl 4 missions I saw barely anyone aside from 1-3 occasional neutrals, and they were just running missions too, so they were too worried about losing their ship to try and do any pvp. I actually saw a guy in a PVE fit Cynabal that was scared I was going to gank him, and many lols were had. Here, I even included a handy dandy map for you.

Or if you don't want to join TEST cause we're lame and bad at this game, then you could try to join one of the pirate corps basing out of the Phoenix constellation in Fountain's Serpentis Space. I'm pretty sure they're not noob friendly though, but I could be wrong.

If you just want to get into some T1 frigate pvp then look at Red vs Blue or Factional Warfare.
    Last edited by kumduh; 2013-01-16 at 11:10 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Training for TRIBE T2 fleet fits take days when it requires cross training...a few weeks to go yay.

Quote Originally Posted by kumduh View Post
    I could tell you to just join TEST/Honey Badger Coalition, because we own a hefty portion of the Southwestern portion of the map, and we take just about anyone who puts in the time to make an application, but that would be propaganda.

I could also tell you that since TEST/HBC owns MORE SPACE THAN WE KNOW WHAT TO DO WITH you could probably base out of the Blood Raider NPC stations in Delve with relative ease. Since there isn't any fighting going on in Delve any more other than the occasional gate camp, you could live there rather easily without having to join a corp. When I was running lvl 4 missions I saw barely anyone aside from 1-3 occasional neutrals, and they were just running missions too, so they were too worried about losing their ship to try and do any pvp. I actually saw a guy in a PVE fit Cynabal that was scared I was going to gank him, and many lols were had. Here, I even included a handy dandy map for you.

Or if you don't want to join TEST cause we're lame and bad at this game, then you could try to join one of the pirate corps basing out of the Phoenix constellation in Fountain's Serpentis Space. I'm pretty sure they're not noob friendly though, but I could be wrong.

If you just want to get into some T1 frigate pvp then look at Red vs Blue or Factional Warfare.
    I like, heard there's this great alliance called TEST/HBC in nulsec. You think I should join ?:P Thanks for the advice anyways. I take it you are not denouncing my idea

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiltrold View Post
    I'm already pretty confused with the nearly endless of way to play this game :O I have i few questions though, I've seen that you are able to complete alot of missions. Is it a good idea to do these in the first couple of weeks, or can I jump right into a mining og trading carrier after the tutorials?
    This is something where you are going to have to find your own comfort level, but I would suggest to go slow at first. And as someone else has suggested, find a good Corp to join. Try to do some research into them first, there are ones that are more helpful to new players.

Just take it easy at first. It will take a little while for the "Kick Me" sign that all newbies have on the back of their shirts, to wear off.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiltrold View Post
    I'm already pretty confused with the nearly endless of way to play this game :O I have i few questions though, I've seen that you are able to complete alot of missions. Is it a good idea to do these in the first couple of weeks, or can I jump right into a mining og trading carrier after the tutorials?
    You can pretty much do what ever you want. The thing is you want to focus in on one thing at first and get good at it before you start messing with other careers. As far as missions go the only ones you really want to complete early on are the Sister of Eve story arc's. You should receive an agent contact for that story arc during your tutorial. Other than that just focus in on one aspect like mining or combat or salvaging so you can start making some isk. Once you have a comfortable stream of isk coming in you can start training in other areas.

Mining in particular is lucrative and within 3 weeks you can easily have a retriever to make some decent isk. Then you can spend your time mining while you train more of the fun skills. Just my suggestion.

http://dl.eve-files.com/media/corp/T...Piracy_2.1.pdf
    This is probably the most well-thought and easily-read guide I've seen on piracy, PvP, and flying in general... Thank you very much for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by Absintheminded View Post
    This is probably the most well-thought and easily-read guide I've seen on piracy, PvP, and flying in general... Thank you very much for sharing!
    Yeah, it will likely be a great help to me as well

---------- Post added 2013-01-16 at 10:45 PM ----------

Well I went to a station boxing ring in that sector (k-6k16), because it's like the only place that sells equipment at a reasonable price, but this Reddit dude doesnt like me, so I may not enter hehe.
    Last edited by Vespian; 2013-01-16 at 10:01 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll be flying frigates (a 100% new char) I wasn't intending on joining them, I was going to "join" them. I tried to make that clear with the quotations. Other than that, yeah what you said is exactly how I think this will go.

Really helpful guide. A lot of good information presented in easy to understand manner.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dragothica View Post
    I'm planning to do this, still I need two accounts to run two character properly. I have two, but I have gametime only on one account currently (the one which has the old main on).
    'starting over' in EVE, is not intelligent. just jump on your 'main', go to one of the races' beginner systems, and do the tutorials.

read some blogs, read the official forums. figure out exactly what you want to do in the game, and take some time to think.

'throwing away' 25mil SP is a very, very bad idea. within 1 month, you'll be relearned and refreshed and then you'll just go back to the main anyway; so just do it now.

EVE is not like wow. you can't blast your way to the top, throw on some epics, and call it good in 5 days. if you completely start over in EVE, you're looking at a bare minimum of 2 months before you can really do anything well at all, and 6 months is more likely. that 6 months you could have your main to over 30 mil SP, and be highly 'back in to it'.

---------- Post added 2013-01-17 at 10:07 AM ----------

Covert Ops ships can Cloak while warping, as far as I know (two more days on cloaking IV). Carefully proceeding towards "higher bounties" while the player finishes off the last ship, de-cloaking, targeting and scanning the cargo, then deciding whether to loot or salvage, or loot after salvaging.

As far as I know, lots of that going on with me, only sleepers can penetrate cloak.
    this is the second time i've heard this in the last few days.

where are you people getting this incorrect info about sleepers 'seeing through' cloak?

i warp to sleeper sites probably 20-30 times a day, while cloaked, and I have NEVER been decloaked.

of course if you end up near ANY object closer than 2500 meters, it will decloak you.

the only 2 ways of being decloaked: 2500 meter proximity and getting bombed.

Quote Originally Posted by greysaber View Post
    'starting over' in EVE, is not intelligent. just jump on your 'main', go to one of the races' beginner systems, and do the tutorials.

read some blogs, read the official forums. figure out exactly what you want to do in the game, and take some time to think.

'throwing away' 25mil SP is a very, very bad idea. within 1 month, you'll be relearned and refreshed and then you'll just go back to the main anyway; so just do it now.

EVE is not like wow. you can't blast your way to the top, throw on some epics, and call it good in 5 days. if you completely start over in EVE, you're looking at a bare minimum of 2 months before you can really do anything well at all, and 6 months is more likely. that 6 months you could have your main to over 30 mil SP, and be highly 'back in to it'.

---------- Post added 2013-01-17 at 10:07 AM ----------

this is the second time i've heard this in the last few days.

where are you people getting this incorrect info about sleepers 'seeing through' cloak?

i warp to sleeper sites probably 20-30 times a day, while cloaked, and I have NEVER been decloaked.

of course if you end up near ANY object closer than 2500 meters, it will decloak you.

the only 2 ways of being decloaked: 2500 meter proximity and getting bombed.
    I had to do a lot of research lately, so I can't link a source. But I'll take your empiric evidence that it's not true then