Page 36 of 101 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    shit, the second port of my GFX card just died, so I'm now locked in one screen. I can't overcome that I can't play multiple clients at the same time on just one screen..gaah

/sigh..

Pulls wallet.

Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    The skill system is the best thing ever created in a MMO.
    In other MMOs you spend time grinding your level up, then grinding your gear up, then grinding your reputation up. At some point you max out everything and then start another character and go through the exact same thing. And then a new patch or an expansion comes, a new level cap is released and your gear is useless. You have to spend an absurd amount of time getting your characters to a playable state again. And nobody cares what you achieved in the past. All of your previous progress is useless, except for bragging rights.
    In EvE all of this is different. You progress not through grinding but through training in real time. You could be away for weeks and months and your character is still "leveling up". There is no skill points cap, but that doesn't mean that the veteran characters are overpowered. You train for specific roles in the game (tackler, sniper, etc). The difference between the relatively new players (4-5 months) and the veterans (4-5 years) is that the new players can take one or two roles extremely well with a select few ships, while the veterans can take tens of different roles with tens of different ships. All of this means that you can learn to fly one ship quite fast and have a lot of fun with it, and be competitive with the veterans flying the same ship. You can also never get bored with the game, since there are so many different roles and exciting ships you can learn to fly.
    From what I remember though you can start flying new ships quite quickly until suddenly you hit a wall that requires months of training to be able to fly/fit your next ship. During that time you're stuck in the same old ship probably doing the same old missions. This gets very boring very fast

At the moment EVE is just a game that is more fun reading about than playing, for me anyway.

Edit: 4-5 months to be competitive with the long time players may not seem bad but when you're a new player there's a good chance you don't even know what the roles are and even if you do you can't be sure which you will enjoy the most until you have tried them.
    Last edited by russ555; 2013-02-03 at 01:19 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dj
    your a Gnome, how the heck does it feel to suck that badly?
    Quote Originally Posted by Xtacle
    Gnomes are awesome, and piss people off, how does it feel to die to a tiny pink puffball?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by russ555 View Post
    From what I remember though you can start flying new ships quite quickly until suddenly you hit a wall that requires months of training to be able to fly/fit your next ship. During that time you're stuck in the same old ship probably doing the same old missions. This gets very boring very fast

At the moment EVE is just a game that is more fun reading about than playing, for me anyway.

Edit: 4-5 months to be competitive with the long time players may not seem bad but when you're a new player there's a good chance you don't even know what the roles are and even if you do you can't be sure which you will enjoy the most until you have tried them.
    If all you do is missions, you will get bored. The missions are years old and rarely updated because they are not the focus of the game. Although they did recently get a few NPC AI changes, most people hate the changes though. Other than missions for PVE you have Incursions which are 5/10/20/40 man group battles, Exploration which pairs a location pinpointing minigame with a few other things, some of which include shooting ships at a location. You also have wormholes which are usually a group activity which involve scanning out wormholes (using the aforementioned pinpointing game) and destroying the ancient rogue AI ships inside, along with gathering materials.

Each of the Tech 1 Frigates and Cruisers (smallest, and 3rd smallest ships) have their own specific role now, which is stated in their description quite clearly, even when it isn't for other ships the ship bonuses tend to give it away, i.e. 5% bonus to x damage/range/etc means you should probably use x. The T1 frigates and cruisers are also rather good now after the rebalancing and very cost-effective. With a few days training you could be flying 10 different ships, though not are all useful for PVE.

http://www.eveonline.com/retribution...nd-ship-roles/

Quote Originally Posted by emanresu View Post
    If all you do is missions, you will get bored. The missions are years old and rarely updated because they are not the focus of the game. Although they did recently get a few NPC AI changes, most people hate the changes though. Other than missions for PVE you have Incursions which are 5/10/20/40 man group battles, Exploration which pairs a location pinpointing minigame with a few other things, some of which include shooting ships at a location. You also have wormholes which are usually a group activity which involve scanning out wormholes (using the aforementioned pinpointing game) and destroying the ancient rogue AI ships inside, along with gathering materials.

Each of the Tech 1 Frigates and Cruisers (smallest, and 3rd smallest ships) have their own specific role now, which is stated in their description quite clearly, even when it isn't for other ships the ship bonuses tend to give it away, i.e. 5% bonus to x damage/range/etc means you should probably use x. The T1 frigates and cruisers are also rather good now after the rebalancing and very cost-effective. With a few days training you could be flying 10 different ships, though not are all useful for PVE.

http://www.eveonline.com/retribution...nd-ship-roles/
    Though, let's face it. If you do not find a good corp, you will have to really bite through the very thick surface of EVE before you find the rich game that's underneath it. I had the luck that a nice corp picked me up and taught me much of the basics, but there's no such thing as an easy ride into PvP or trading, or planet management without guidance.

Never could get the hang of this came, but i'll say that without a doubt it is the game of choice for epic battle screenshots.

Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    Though, let's face it. If you do not find a good corp, you will have to really bite through the very thick surface of EVE before you find the rich game that's underneath it. I had the luck that a nice corp picked me up and taught me much of the basics, but there's no such thing as an easy ride into PvP or trading, or planet management without guidance.
    This is certainly true. I first joined what turned out to be a recruiting corp for the long-dead ASCN alliance, which was bloody useless and full of extreme carebears, and I almost quit playing the game at that point. Then I joined SNIGGWAFFE, a training corp for the Sniggerdly corp (Pandemic Legion), and that changed my game a LOT, and I went on playing for nearly 5 more years after that. Wether you enjoy pvp, piracy, scamming, suicideganking, pve, industry or...ugh...mining, being in a good corp is always a plus.

Deleted
    Hi All,

I've been getting a spike in scam petitions for buddy invites, people claiming to have used the link and not invited by email, and since the link is anonymous, I can only use the date of subscription to match up users with their invites. So I'm taking the link out of my sig, but people can still PM me their email for the trial, this should reduce the amount of scammers.

Jin

Jinna is legit! Too bad you had to resort to stuff like this to keep scammers away.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lillpapps View Post
    Jinna is legit! Too bad you had to resort to stuff like this to keep scammers away.
    It's taken for norm that you'll get scammers with anything EVE related, but it was just getting annoying when the number of scammers started outnumber the number of legits, now it just a joke trying to separate the real from the fake. It's too easy for scammers to PM me daily saying the subbed, and it risks a real trial having their PLEX lost because a scammer guessed the right day.

I never really run out of my 10 trials per month by email, and this is sure-fire to stop a legit person losing out on their PLEX.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinna View Post
    It's taken for norm that you'll get scammers with anything EVE related, but it was just getting annoying when the number of scammers started outnumber the number of legits, now it just a joke trying to separate the real from the fake. It's too easy for scammers to PM me daily saying the subbed, and it risks a real trial having their PLEX lost because a scammer guessed the right day.

I never really run out of my 10 trials per month by email, and this is sure-fire to stop a legit person losing out on their PLEX.
    Doesn't it show their email? Or is that only for ones you send out to people?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    Not really. Let's say that a ship costs 100 million and has another 100 million in modules. Each module has a 50% chance of dropping, so you will get on average 50 million from this situation.
    Of course, sometimes you have an 1 million ship with 10 million in modules or a 100 million ship with 50 million in modules.
    is that 50% drop chance for both mounted modules on ship and stuff in the cargo ?

Quote Originally Posted by Khatolic View Post
    is that 50% drop chance for both mounted modules on ship and stuff in the cargo ?
    Yes. With the exception of rigs, which are a type of module that can't be removed from the ship without destroying the module.
    But the cargo drop chance is per item stack, so if you have one stack of 1 000 000 Pyerite for example, the entire stack has a 50/50 chance of dropping or getting destroyed.
    Last edited by haxartus; 2013-02-04 at 08:18 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hey guys! Long time lurker in this forum and first time poster for it. I had 2 questions for the people here.

1. Me and my friend just started 14 day trials. Now can you stack the 21 day trial ontop of it?

2. If the above is yes, would anyone be willing to give us them? Would need two, but will take just one.

Thanks all and would also be looking for any suggestions about corps to look for as a beginner.

I've been re-subbed for a month now and I'm enjoying my time in EVE more than the first walk through it, which took a year of utter boredom and waiting for it to get better.

I have a main account and 2 alt accounts. The main account is slowly progressing towards Battleships while at the same time trying to get as many as possible skills related to flying ships in general and my Stealth Bomber (Nemesis). She's currently actually my least played character.

Someone on these boards suggested that PI was the real and only way of making money so I've been busy setting it up for myself on my 2 alts (in 0.5, where our corp is based atm). I even wrote a starter guide for a few in my corp, due to the fact that I could only link them to sites that tells them which skills to take and what to do, but not exactly step by step which actions should be taken, such as routing and upgrading, what to build first, etc.

I started by going for passive PI. If my production would have gone well, I figured I could get 70 to 80 mil a month and that seemed like a good plan, but it felt too slow. And missioning just took too much time. So, instead, I reconfigured my planets and now I have 6 resource and 1 production planet, plus one planet that is "passive" and produces one product to sell as an additional source of revenue.

Right now, I need to fly between planets for about 10 minutes, maybe 20, a day and I make about 30 mil per 3.333 days. Taxes not yet calculated. So I'll end up with a profit of about 27mil per 3.5 days. 27mil might not sound like a lot to you, but as long as I am forced to solo level 3 missions, the average income per mission is perhaps 1.5mil in bounty + 6mil salvaging + looting and loot often ends up being worth less. I do about 2 missions per evening and then I run out of time. Assuming 3 evenings, I make perhaps 20 mil, tops, in actual ISK.

The way I see it, running missions, right now, is barely worth it.
    - I currently gain resources that could supply two planets, yet I have only one, so I'll be expanding soon.
    - I'm using buy orders to get additional P2 and process that into P3, then sell the P3 to gain a 30% profit, since one planet can sustain two P3 production plants, but not enough P2 production plants to provide enough resources to both P3 plants.
    - Missioning takes three times the time and barely the same profit. So while I play League of Legends, I'm making money in EVE.

So, whoever the guy was that recommended PI. Thank you _very_ much. I can start expanding my PI to two or three production planets, virtually still use the same amount of time, since I have two screens, and make 90 mil-taxes per 4 days.
    Last edited by Vespian; 2013-02-05 at 09:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Treeskee View Post
    Hey guys! Long time lurker in this forum and first time poster for it. I had 2 questions for the people here.

1. Me and my friend just started 14 day trials. Now can you stack the 21 day trial ontop of it?

2. If the above is yes, would anyone be willing to give us them? Would need two, but will take just one.

Thanks all and would also be looking for any suggestions about corps to look for as a beginner.
    No you can't upgrade to 21 day trial without starting over. Might be worth looking into doing depending on how long ago you started.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by emanresu View Post
    Doesn't it show their email? Or is that only for ones you send out to people?
    The trial through link is very anonymous, only showing the date (and method) they subscribe.

There's a screenie of my Past Invites.

I've been re-subbed for a month now and I'm enjoying my time in EVE more than the first walk through it, which took a year of utter boredom and waiting for it to get better.

I have a main account and 2 alt accounts. The main account is slowly progressing towards Battleships while at the same time trying to get as many as possible skills related to flying ships in general and my Stealth Bomber (Nemesis). She's currently actually my least played character.

Someone on these boards suggested that PI was the real and only way of making money so I've been busy setting it up for myself on my 2 alts (in 0.5, where our corp is based atm). I even wrote a starter guide for a few in my corp, due to the fact that I could only link them to sites that tells them which skills to take and what to do, but not exactly step by step which actions should be taken, such as routing and upgrading, what to build first, etc.

I started by going for passive PI. If my production would have gone well, I figured I could get 70 to 80 mil a month and that seemed like a good plan, but it felt too slow. And missioning just took too much time. So, instead, I reconfigured my planets and now I have 6 resource and 1 production planet, plus one planet that is "passive" and produces one product to sell as an additional source of revenue.

Right now, I need to fly between planets for about 10 minutes, maybe 20, a day and I make about 30 mil per 3.333 days. Taxes not yet calculated. So I'll end up with a profit of about 27mil per 3.5 days. 27mil might not sound like a lot to you, but as long as I am forced to solo level 3 missions, the average income per mission is perhaps 1.5mil in bounty + 6mil salvaging + looting and loot often ends up being worth less. I do about 2 missions per evening and then I run out of time. Assuming 3 evenings, I make perhaps 20 mil, tops, in actual ISK.

The way I see it, running missions, right now, is barely worth it.
    - I currently gain resources that could supply two planets, yet I have only one, so I'll be expanding soon.
    - I'm using buy orders to get additional P2 and process that into P3, then sell the P3 to gain a 30% profit, since one planet can sustain two P3 production plants, but not enough P2 production plants to provide enough resources to both P3 plants.
    - Missioning takes three times the time and barely the same profit. So while I play League of Legends, I'm making money in EVE.

So, whoever the guy was that recommended PI. Thank you _very_ much. I can start expanding my PI to two or three production planets, virtually still use the same amount of time, since I have two screens, and make 90 mil-taxes per 4 days.
    I guess if you're looking at passive income PI is not too bad, but then you really need to do it in low / null sec to see some real ISK.

I don't understand how missions aren't that good for you. I know doing level 4's in a decent fit BS will net you 100 - 120m ISK per hour on average.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmittay View Post
    I guess if you're looking at passive income PI is not too bad, but then you really need to do it in low / null sec to see some real ISK.

I don't understand how missions aren't that good for you. I know doing level 4's in a decent fit BS will net you 100 - 120m ISK per hour on average.
    Hence the reference to lvl 3 missions

Edit: And, if I really wanted to make money, I would just start buying the resources and turn all my planets into production planets. I would be making bilions of isk with virtually no or low risk. Which is also why I'm staying out of low-sec. Currently, those 30mil, are basically half my wallet. You have to start thinking in my context before you vote it down

Hence the reference to lvl 3 missions
    Level 3 missions should still blow high sec PI out of the water. Maybe skills are low?

Quote Originally Posted by Schmittay View Post
    Level 3 missions should still blow high sec PI out of the water. Maybe skills are low?
    No? And No, actually.