Deleted

Upgrading Monitor / Win

Good morning!

first off my current comp

Motherboard:
    CPU Typ DualCore Intel Core 2 Duo E6750, 2666 MHz (8 x 333)
    Motherboard Name Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4 (2 PCI, 3 PCI-E x1, 2 PCI-E x16, 4 DDR2 DIMM, Audio, Gigabit LAN, IEEE-1394)
    Motherboard Chipsatz Intel Bearlake P35
    Arbeitsspeicher 3584 MB (DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM)
    BIOS Typ Award Modular (09/07/07)

Anzeige:
    Grafikkarte NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS (640 MB)
    3D-Beschleuniger nVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS
    Monitor ViewSonic VX912-3 [19" LCD] (Q8D062100270)

Grafikprozessor Eigenschaften:
    Grafikkarte nVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS (p356)
    GPU Codename G80GTS (PCI Express x16 10DE / 0193, Rev A2)
    GPU Takt (Geometric Domain) 576 MHz (Original: 575 MHz)
    GPU Takt (Shader Domain) 1188 MHz (Original: 1188 MHz)
    Speichertakt 837 MHz (Original: 850 MHz
    at the moment i am running on win xp professional (32 bit) and i have 2 licenses for win7 prof 64 bit. (i use 2x 1gb and 1x 2 gb ram). i am thinking about upgrading to win 7 but not quite sure, if i am going to lose performance in games. the windows tool tells me that the hardware would be fine, but i am not sure if it would run smoothly.

my other problem: my monitor has gotten in the years, i think its already inflicted with defect transistors (sometimes the display needs 20-30 mins warm up time to get the screen working. it is a 19' with 1240x1080 and i am thinking about upgrading to a new monitore. but i think that with a new (23' or 24') monitore at 1920x1080 (or how it was :> ) i would lose a lot of performance in games, wouldn't i?

thought about some of these
    Samsung SyncMaster S24A450B LED (todays easter offer at alternate from 180 to 140 euro)
    BenQ G2222HDL
    LG Electronics Flatron W2443T-PF
    Asus VS248H
    (cannot link it cause of the resdriction, i planned to buy from alternate, amazon or notebooksbilliger (german shops))

hope you can give me some advices

ps. i am planning on buying a new computer, as far as my money is getting more

greetings

Yes, your PC is going to struggle to play any modern/semi-modern game at 1080p on higher settings.

To be honest, I wouldn't waste the Windows 7 key, wait until you build a new PC to use one.
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2012-04-04 at 03:46 PM.

Deleted
    and any advice regreting the monitores in general? (i should add that i dont want to invest so much money)

I can't find much on that LG monitor, but the other three seem to be alright, I've heard a lot of good things about BenQ in particular, but the fact remains: your system isn't powerful enough for you to get your monies worth out of any of those monitors.
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2012-04-04 at 05:01 PM.

My monitor started to die last year. I was able to fix it for very cheap by replacing a few faulty capacitors.

Usually the problem you're describing is caused by bad capacitors. Most companies use really cheap low temperature capacitors. Capacitors leak and buldge when they fail by design. If you have a little soldering knowledge it's really easy to replace these.

The first step would be safely disassembling your monitor. On the main circuit board there will be a lot of capacitors. Faulty capacitors will have bulging tops or leaking fluid like this. If you don't find any buldging or leaking then your problem probably lies elsewhere.

If you do find faulty ones, you can either try to identify the specs of the capacitors without removing them, or remove them and then look for the markings. Keep in mind your monitor will be useless one you remove these capacitors until you replace them so I wouldn't suggest this until your monitor is totally broken or you're going to buy a new one anyway. I suggest also looking up a tutorial on Youtube if you don't know how to remove a capaticor. It's really easy for anyone even without prior experience.

The next step would be to find matching capacitors online. I used this website http://www.galco.com/shop/Electrolytic-Capacitors. They are EXTREMELY cheap. Like 20-50 cents each. Buy extras!

Once you get them you will need some small electronics solder, a soldering iron, and some wire snips or pliers with wire snips to install them. Again I suggest looking up a tutorial on installing capacitors if you need help. Very easy though!

Here is a really great tutorial covering most of the process and what you need to know for ordering the right capacitors.

This could be too much for you. But honestly I had one class in high school with electronics soldering and I was able to repair my $300 monitor for about 10 dollars and a couple hours of free time. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Fading Dimension; 2012-04-04 at 05:36 PM.

Deleted
    thanks fading dimension, i already found this way but my monitor is "soooooo" old and i thought about replacing my computer with the new ivy brigdes too.