Guild Wars 2 Region Lock

Dunno if this has been posted here yet, but:

Is my copy of Guild Wars 2 tied to my region?

Yes. To play from North America you must purchase a North American copy of the game. To play from Europe you must purchase a European copy of the game. Note that this restriction impacts where you can play from, not which game worlds you can choose to play on.

By purchasing the correct copy of the game, you're supporting the game in your country, and you'll be connecting to your local data center, using your local customer support team, and downloading the correct language support for your country.

~RB2
    Pretty disappointing.

Edit: I read it wrong. It's still not region locked, my bad.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Oh! How I hope this thread is filled with posts confused over that quote.

What delights this thread has the potential to bring me.

Please post productively. Infracted. -Edge
    Last edited by Edge-; 2012-04-06 at 03:00 AM.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty sure that wouldn't limit you to who you can play with. Only where you can play from, and what support centers you will be directed to.

Note that this restriction impacts where you can play from, not which game worlds you can choose to play on.
    Im fine with this. ;3
    Hi

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Oh! How I hope this thread is filled with posts confused over that quote.

What delights this thread has the potential to bring me.
    It will be locked more then likely long before that happens

it just means you cant buy a copy in the us and install it in the eu and the other way around, you can still play together, see no confusion

What does this mean for us Asians though?

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    What does this mean for us Asians though?
    It means... learn english!
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    It means... learn english!
    No need to be a dick, there is nothing in the quote that talks about Asia.

Thread is living up to expectations. Hearts.

[Zito is joking Vizzle]

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    No need to be a dick, there is nothing in the quote that talks about Asia.
    Should stop assuming people are dicks with emotionless words over the internet.

Thread is living up to expectations. Hearts.
    Thank you for your contribution.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Sucks for people working overseas who want to play in their native language with native language support, for England and U.S. this is probably a non-issue but unless I can change the interface and quest language to English it looks like I won't be playing GW2.... Very disappointing indeed.

And OP your first assessment was correct it is region locked. Having to have the version of the game produced for your region to play in your region is what region locking is, it is great if they allow you to connect up, but only being able to play the language/version for your region is region locking.

10+ Year Old Account
    Here are some answers and clarifications for you! First, if you purchase the game from https://buy.guildwars2.com/ you'll automatically be sorted into the right region.

And don't worry -- we want you to play with your friends wherever you are. This policy only affects where you can login from -- not which worlds you can access. People from NA will be able to play with people from EU at launch. We've got two datacenters -- one in NA and one in EU. Those who do not fall into either of those two regions will default to the NA datacenter.

Finally, we are aware that a lot of our players travel, and we are looking into a solution for you.

Hope that helps some! ~RB2
    Uh oh, no Oceanic I think.

EDIT!!!!!
    ANZ players will connect to game servers running in the US
    FML If Tribes: Ascend a f2p game can do it they can!
    Last edited by Terranullis; 2012-04-06 at 01:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Terranullis View Post
    Uh oh, no Oceanic I think.
    I really really really hope they rethink this. There are a lot of US military overseas as well as American military contractors working overseas, not to mention people working at Embassies etc... I imagine the same is for other countries. I can understand the desire for region locking from an anti-pirating perspective, and from the perspective of wanting to make sure global partners get their sales, but I don't think pissing on the customers is the way to go about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I hope this doesn't screw up south america, i want to play in NA servers D:...

10+ Year Old Account
    ...they still haven't said if it limits where your home server is.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    So, what about language barriers? I'd be worried about logging into an NA server and seeing it being crowded with people who don't speak English :/
    (Yes I'm aware that English isn't the only NA language.)

I'm all for meeting new people, but it's hard to communicate when you don't speak the same language

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss
    I DOODLE!

Quote Originally Posted by lmenvs View Post
    So, what about language barriers? I'd be worried about logging into an NA server and seeing it being crowded with people who don't speak English :/
    (Yes I'm aware that English isn't the only NA language.)

I'm all for meeting new people, but it's hard to communicate when you don't speak the same language
    If you've played WoW for any bit of time you start to see cliques of players. Naturally the french tend to play with the french and the spanish tend to stick together. The time that there is a massive mix of players is when the non-english languages are playing on US servers but are at a low minority and don't have a clique to grow onto. If it is either NA or EU, I think you will have french and spanish guilds on NA servers because they won't be spread out over too many regions. It might make an exquisite experience as guilds are working together in WvW across languages.

I'm worried about those soldiers overseas and other native english speakers across oceans (Aussies). While it will throw them at NA servers, I wonder how the IP handling and playability of the game will be. Isn't this game scheduled to be a popular MMO in asia as well for the PvP?

Well, since the game isn't region locked, closing this so that it doesn't confuse people.