10+ Year Old Account

Shadow: 2589 or 2737 Haste?

Hey guys, a quick question that puzzles me a bit since i'm about to do a gear-makeover.

According to various sites, +2 ticks happens on VT @ 2589 haste and +3 ticks on DP @ 2737 haste.

I see a kinda "unofficial consensus" to go for 30% haste and then reforge to mastery, but i've been wondering if anyone thoroughly tested if it was worth going for the extra tick on DP (31,29% haste) which is only 150 rating, or whether mastery really does take over after 2589 rating. I havent been able to find any good posts on it, and sadly dont have time to delve deep into testing it myself due to easter.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    i would guess the reason to sit at 2589 then mastery is because of improved devouring plague. the initial damage isnt a great deal less than a mindflay so we lose much less damage while refreshing DP than we do VT. but thats just a guess

Most people don't care about the extra tick/resetting the duration of DP since it's recasted early quite often AND you can't apply it to more than 1 target.

10+ Year Old Account
    Improved DP damage doesn't improve until 3202 haste (for everyone), either.
    {[( )]}

The most haste you want is the 2589 break point- less 3% if you have DI, less 4% if you have di AND play a goblin. After that, mastery becomes priority #1 (arguably even before, but in current gear levels there is no reason not to hit it). If you are full BiS (which I'm going to assume you aren't, given that you're asking this question in the first place), you can reach the 3202 break point for imp DP without using the sub-optimal bottled wishes, which is likely a dps increase on movement intensive fights such as yor'saj, zon'ozz, and blackhorn.

The reason imp DP doesn't improve until 3202 haste is that it isn't effected by the 5% spell haste buff and the 3% from DI, btw.

2589 haste is the VT+2 breakpoint... not sure what the 2737 number is, but if I were to guess, its probably the amount of haste without the Darkness talent. However, since EVERY shadowpriest has 3 pts Darkness, you can stick with the 2589. This amount will be lower if you're a goblin.

And Aica is correct about the next breakpoint. 3202 is the flat amount of haste rating needed to make DP gain another tick's worth of damage. This amount will be the same regardless of race.

2737 should be the next tick of DP if memory serves me right. But 3202 is when Imp.DP gets the damage bonus.

Renée || Ruhnay (Alt) || Acquired Taste || YouTube ¤~
    Acquired Taste is now recruiting! 8/8 Heroic Dragon Soul, click here for more info!

Quote Originally Posted by azrieth View Post
    The most haste you want is the 2589 break point- less 3% if you have DI, less 4% if you have di AND play a goblin. After that, mastery becomes priority #1 (arguably even before, but in current gear levels there is no reason not to hit it). If you are full BiS (which I'm going to assume you aren't, given that you're asking this question in the first place), you can reach the 3202 break point for imp DP without using the sub-optimal bottled wishes, which is likely a dps increase on movement intensive fights such as yor'saj, zon'ozz, and blackhorn.

The reason imp DP doesn't improve until 3202 haste is that it isn't effected by the 5% spell haste buff and the 3% from DI, btw.
    Bottled Wishes is amazing for H Spine. I'd even go so far as to say Required for it.

Deleted
    2737 is the next tick for DP without DI
    I can only answer this question from my point of view:

For me 2737 is hardly worth anything. I use DP as a filler a lot when im moving, i recast DP almost instantly when a proc comes up or is about to fall off. So i recast it quite often -> i get not that much from a longer duration.
    Another thing is the one target restriction mentioned above.
    Refreshing DP is only one gcd you loose, but you get the Imp DP-Damage as a compensation. So having longer duration isnt superior imho :P

Maybe you mean the 3202 cap where your instant damage of DP(Imp DP) gets buffed?
    I think this cap is worth going for. When you throw arround DP alot its definitly a good thing.

Remember that Imp DP is not affected by haste multipliers. Thats why an adtional tick is counted much later towards instant damage of DP.

The fact that Imp DP works that way is a bit confusing :P

Ps: made a little picture, maybe it helps to understand this better :>

Last edited by mmoc2e5b8dbff7; 2012-04-07 at 03:36 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the elaborate answers guys I wasnt aware of the DD from DP didnt align with the increased ticks from haste, so i see why only 2589 is needed. I'll try some reforging and see how it works out for our farm-bosses.

So out of curiosity, my priest (off-spec shadow) now sits at 3250 haste (and he's a goblin, so +1%), at that level should I even bother reforging as much as I can to mastery to get to 2437 haste?

Because obviously I am over the 3202 devouring plague one.

Quote Originally Posted by Spotnick View Post
    So out of curiosity, my priest (off-spec shadow) now sits at 3250 haste (and he's a goblin, so +1%), at that level should I even bother reforging as much as I can to mastery to get to 2437 haste?

Because obviously I am over the 3202 devouring plague one.
    As I understand it, the only reason to reforge haste to mastery is if you can't hit the 3202 haste point. If you can hit that point, you should stay at or above 3202, because it is a large dps gain. If you can't hit it, then forge haste down to 2589, because mastery will be worth more in between those two points.