Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

I wish there was a good Western-style MMO

I was thinking today whilst I was cycling, and I was trying to answer why no upcoming MMOs really have me that excited. Now I've played WOW* for 5 years now, since I was 15, and although Mists looks nice, I know its going to be the same shit different toilet. Same with Guild Wars 2, although it has some nice changes, it's just another damn fantasy MMO.

And I think that's where I came to my senses, everything is a damn fantasy MMO (not everything but you get the idea..). Maybe it's just because I've been watching lots of Clint Eastwood films lately, but I would really want a GOOD MMO that is a Western theme. I just think of one of my favourite games of all time, Red Dead Redemption, and I would kill to have an MMO like that.

Are there any good western-style mmos? If not, what's the chance Titan could be one..? didn't Blizzard say they were making Titan something they had never done before..

*I don't play anymore

dont think anybody would play a western type mmo... except you.

I just wish Archeage would have a western release because that game looks really fucking cool.

I doubt it would have a lot of sustainable fresh content, but the change of scenery would at least peak my interest.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Himora View Post
    I think you're wrong, if it was made well, as in, WOW-esque well, then I reckon it would get alot of interest. But I guess it depends on a developer having some balls and stepping out of the fantasy comfort zone

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd play a Western MMO, I think, or at least have an interest in hearing how they'd make it and what it would be like, following it while it is in developement. Definitely sign up and try to get in to beta for it.

Deleted
    The point of western movies and the genre is one man against the world. One outlaw versus the man, or in an opposite role one sheriff versus the hordes of bandits. It is really difficult to get that point accross when someone wearing your exact clothing setup runs past.

Westerns follow the single hero build, where as fantasy usually follows group based play, which is perfect for an MMO.

the originality & weapon designs would be a incredibly dull if it was set in the wild west as theres only a handfull of umm boring weapons?.. how "realistic" would you want it to be? thing with fantasy is you can add "Anything" and it becomes viable to a degree, thats why i think most mmo's are set around fantasy?

I think a steampunk western MMO would be good. A realistic western MMO not so much. Not enough for people to do. Western settings make good sandboxes to play in, not MMOs. You would need to add either some sci-fi or fantasy elements to it. If they did that I would be interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Himora View Post
    Well, young people don't really like western awesomeness. Therefore, MMO like this would be adressed to mature players.

And it would be AWESOME. Bring it on, please.

i'd figure the roles to be pretty limited. would end up being a bunch of gunslingers running around with little variation imo

Herald of the Titans Zenotetsuken's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Cowboys Vs Aliens the MMO. Get on that Blizz. Seriously though, I can't picture how a western MMO would even work, unless as someone else said it was more of a sort of steampunk western. The western just wouldn't work as a MMO format IMO. What are you going to fight? Bears? Indians? Smallpox? Indian Bears with Smallpox?
    The old west atmosphere would be ruined by having 700 Sheriffs running around some tiny town getting teabagged by 700 Outlaws, and there wouldn't be anything to do beyond that. Not sure if you are aware of this or not, but there weren't a lot of people in the old west.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well Red Dead Redemption already has a multiplayer option but, sadly, still no PC version. I still tinker with it and think it could be a very interesting MMORPG.

---------- Post added 2012-04-06 at 01:29 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Okacz View Post
    Well, young people don't really like western awesomeness. Therefore, MMO like this would be adressed to mature players.

And it would be AWESOME. Bring it on, please.
    Definitely something more aimed at mature audiences. Not sure themepark would work. Would probably have to be more a sandbox style design.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

Deleted
    Ok Maybe I was being a bit ambitious with a Western MMO, but..

I'm just so bored of fantasy

Just thinking about it I can't imagine a western MMO being anything more than bland. Kind of hard to imagine having classes or engaging pve content short of "Take out bands in generic cave/town/camp X"

MMO's are fantasy since it gives you interesting options.

10+ Year Old Account
    If they did a supernatural Western MMO I would be all over it. Hell just license Deadlands and make an MMO in that setting. I loved Red Dead Redemption's nightmare DLC.

15+ Year Old Account
    A true western MMO would be hard to pull off.

Steam punk western or space western might work, however.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    Just thinking about it I can't imagine a western MMO being anything more than bland. Kind of hard to imagine having classes or engaging pve content short of "Take out bands in generic cave/town/camp X"

MMO's are fantasy since it gives you interesting options.
    I don't think we're saying it can't have some fantasy elements mixed in. RDR's Undead Nightmare and Fallout New Vegas seemed far from bland too me. Something more sandbox style, class wise, where you choose what to specialize in like Deus Ex and Skyrim.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

Deleted
    A Western in the style of WoW?

Not a bloody chance; the standard Everquest-esk MMO really doesn't work with anything resembling a shooter, as was proved by the countless shooter MMO's they've tried to do.

Red Dead Redemption multiplayer with a much larger map and more features would have me sold personally.

Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    I don't think we're saying it can't have some fantasy elements mixed in. RDR's Undead Nightmare and Fallout New Vegas seemed far from bland too me. Something more sandbox style, class wise, where you choose what to specialize in like Deus Ex and Skyrim.
    Well then in my mind that becomes "fantasy" not western. When he says he wants a western MMO, I'm thinking of the old movies.