[TV] Which Battlestar Galactica?

So I was planning on starting to watch Battlestar Galactica, but i was wondering which one to watch. From what i understand, the one with Edward James Olmos is a remake of one in the 70s. I just want to know if when people talk about "Battlestar Galactica" they mean the remake or the original. Like which one is more popular?

15+ Year Old Account
    The remake is more popular. The original show is fairly cheesy and isn't very good.

Deleted
    I havent actuly seen enugh apart from some odd episode on the scifi channel of the old one so cant realy say if its good or bad but i do realy like the remake.

10+ Year Old Account
    The new one is great, the old one is not.

I used to watch the original when I was a child, but absolutely love the remake. If you have the time, I would watch the original first. If not, just go with the remake.

10+ Year Old Account
    the original is a cheesefest, think a cheese fondue, but instead of meat they're dipping in cheese, and instead of fondue forks they're using Cheese strings...

the remake is badass, and is probably my second favourite TV show of all time (just behind Farscape).
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

It's practically a shot for shot remake.

10+ Year Old Account
    There are actually 4 (5 soon)

1978 with a sequel series in 1980 (they are not season 1 and season 2, to be clear, but an original series and a 'spinoff/reboot')
    These are what you'd expect from late 70s sci-fi. I only recommend it if you are a fan. They're campy, lots of stock footage, and sometimes hard to follow. There is no background you need to know from this to enjoy the newer (and largely the more popular) series. I saw it about 15 years ago, and watched it again after watching the new series. The plot is very, very roughly the same.

The newer series (2004-2009) is what everyone raves about. It is a fantastic show regardless of if you know it or not. Huge cult following. Very good science, very good acting and music. It's honestly one of the best TV series made in the past decade. A prequel is coming out this fall (Blood and Chrome) which takes place a number of years before this one.

EDIT: Notably, the new BSG series is also seeded throughout with sort 3-5 minute 'webisodes' that are on the DVDs I believe. There is also a 'movie' (Razor) that takes place to usher in season 4, but chronologically happens during season 2. And also another conglomeration of short episodes that make up a movie called "The Plan" that I THINK doesn't take place at any particular time, and is intended to be watched after completing the series as a sort of "alternative look". Many of the movies and webisodes have footage from the series, as well as all new stuff. They are not mandatory to follow the plot or enjoy the series, however are enjoyable nonetheless. A must if you really enjoy BSG in the long run and want the full immersion.

Caprica (2010) is a series that was cancelled about 18 episodes in. It takes place about 40 or so years before BSG. While in the same universe, is a COMPLETELY different show. People who liked BSG may or may not like Caprica. The theme and setting are entirely different. I personally loved it, but it got cancelled for a reason.

Amusing bit of trivia. The movie "Space Mutiny" took stock space combat footage from the original BSG series. If you've ever seen it on MST3K, and have seen the original series BSG, you'll go "Wait, wtf?"
    Last edited by chazus; 2012-04-06 at 09:00 PM.

Deleted
    One thing I'd like to add before you start watching is to get your hands on the pilot episodes that lead up to the events of season 1.

I was really annoyed when I opened by S1 box and didn't find the pilot episodes to be a part of them. They're a great introduction and basically set-up the whole premise.

As for the old show, forget about it. There's nothing worth-while to it.

I'd recommend you start with:
    1. Pilot movie (2-part episodes)
    2. Season 1
    3. Season 2
    4. etc.