Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    I'm a bit confused on the article...did they just assault him out of nowhere, or what?

I read something in there about how he said "Remember Trayvon"

Mr. Watts, carrying home two small bags of pork rinds to dole out as treats to his three dachshunds, looked at the youth and said, "Why you picking on me?" Mr. Watts recalled. "Remember Trayvon. Why you picking on me?"

Why'd he say that? It states later on that he didn't want what happened to Trayvon to repeat...but it seems out of place to yell it at a group of black kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    6 vs. one, attempted murder, robbery in an obvious racially-charged assault. Granted the younger ones wouldn't go, but I'd say the punishment fits.
    Life in prison for youths in an assault? Drastic to say the least...

Isn't there one that's something like a greater version of assault, when the victim's life is more obviously in danger?
    Aggravated assault. If I get in a fist fight with a guy in a bar I'll get hit with an assault charge. If I beat the ever living shit out of an old guy but clearly do not intend to kill him I'll get aggravated assault.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Thats awful, he is just a very frail, very skinny old man. Bastard like them make them wish they would try it with me.
    Good luck handling 6 people, even if they are punk ass teenagers unless you're a Navy Seal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Aggravated assault. If I get in a fist fight with a guy in a bar I'll get hit with an assault charge. If I beat the ever living shit out of an old guy but clearly do not intend to kill him I'll get aggravated assault.
    Ok, then that. Plus robbery charge, and whatever hate crime adds to it. It won't be life, but they should be in there for quite some time.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by brb lost my crayons View Post
    If you kept reading, you'd find out:

When asked about the Trayvon remarks, Mr. Watts said, "All I meant by saying 'remember Trayvon' is to remember what happened to him, don't duplicate it here," suggesting that he was minding his own business as he walked home.

"The only reason I mentioned Trayvon, that was my defense," Mr. Watts said. "Don't pick on me. I am not your enemy."
    Yes, I amended that. I hit enter too early.

It seems like it'd be something extremely out of place to yell at a group of children, regardless of the intent behind it.

No one died, a life sentence is grossly inappropriate for assault.
    If the facts are true they were yelling to kill him, racially charged (which always ups the anti)..so it was a hate crime that also was attempted murder. Yeah they need to go to jail for a very long time.

Ok, then that. Plus robbery charge, and whatever hate crime adds to it. It won't be life, but they should be in there for quite some time.
    Well the hate crime remains to be seen. Hate crime laws generally require race be a motivating factor, not just that you said racist things will committing the crime.

I'm not saying that wasn't the case here, but its not terribly clear.

---------- Post added 2012-04-06 at 11:01 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Arog View Post
    If the facts are true they were yelling to kill him, racially charged (which always ups the anti)..so it was a hate crime that also was attempted murder. Yeah they need to go to jail for a very long time.
    Yelling "kill him" doesn't make anything attempted murder. What makes it attempted murder is if you try to murder him.

Well the hate crime remains to be seen. Hate crime laws generally require race be a motivating factor, not just that you said racist things will committing the crime.

I'm not saying that wasn't the case here, but its not terribly clear.

---------- Post added 2012-04-06 at 11:01 PM ----------

Yelling "kill him" doesn't make anything attempted murder. What makes it attempted murder is if you try to murder him.
    Well I would assume that 6 v 1 and beating the hell out of someone while yelling kill him..sounds like attempted murder to me.

I haven't seen anything in the article to indicate it was anything other than aggravated assault. What will effectively be a 60+ year sentence is excessive.
    The weird part is that according to the linked article the victim was assaulted by 6 guys, but only 2 of them are being charged. And not even with attempted murder or assault, but robbery?

(edited.. quoted the wrong person by mistake)
    Last edited by Unknown User; 2012-04-06 at 11:08 PM.

Well I would assume that 6 v 1 and beating the hell out of someone while yelling kill him..sounds like attempted murder to me.
    I agree with you. I can't wait to see if they tack on hate crime charges. If they don't, it proves that hate crimes don't exist.
    Keep The Beats!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by brb lost my crayons View Post
    ohp, didn't see it. Well, if they lived in the area where the Martin incident happened I suppose it wouldn't be too out-of-whack. Plus I imagine when you're already having six kids trying to beat on you, you might panic and try to think of something to at least say to defend yourself if you can't do anything...look how skinny that poor old man is >.<
    Yeah, that's kinda what I figured. Scared out of your damn mind, you probably aren't exactly thinking clearly.

Deleted
    Same thing happened about a week ago here in Sweden, where a 61 year old man got assaulted by 6 teenagers, and now he's still in a life threatening state, and coma. None of these teenagers were of Swedish descent, they were all middle-eastern/somali.

Only problem is, our punishments in Sweden are so weak. None of them will probably sit for more than a year.

The number of people involved is irrelevant. What some kid involved is shouting is irrelevant. To show attempted murder you need to show that they A)intended to kill him and B)Believed they had or could reasonably be expected to believe they had inflicted fatal wounds before leaving

I'd bet money this won't be charged as a hate crime because that is how ass backwards this country is. I know this is a hate crime and those kids should be locked up for a very long time.

The number of people involved is irrelevant. What some kid involved is shouting is irrelevant. To show attempted murder you need to show that they A)intended to kill him and B)Believed they had or could reasonably be expected to believe they had inflicted fatal wounds before leaving
    One boy, he said, put his foot on the back of the victim's neck, with another shouting, "Kill him." ---I would take that as intent to kill.

While Mr. Watts was down the boys kicked him, over and over, shouting, "[Get] that white [man]. This is for Trayvon ... Trayvon lives, white [man]. Kill that white [man]," according to a police report.

This screams intent to kill. I have seen people get in bar fights where the other race dropped the N bomb while pummeling this guy..dude got charged with a hate crime so what they say does in fact have relevance.
    Last edited by Arog; 2012-04-06 at 11:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheImmortalLordAtlas View Post
    I agree with you. I can't wait to see if they tack on hate crime charges. If they don't, it proves that hate crimes don't exist.
    Your logic does not follow.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Varyk View Post
    Good luck handling 6 people, even if they are punk ass teenagers unless you're a Navy Seal.
    Infantry veteran with many combat tours under my belt, i can deal with 6 kids if they are unarmed.

Navy seals are not as good as they claim, fitness wise they are very lacking. They were breathing out of their arse when we took them on the fan dance.

Quote Originally Posted by Hedleyazg View Post
    I'd bet money this won't be charged as a hate crime because that is how ass backwards this country is. I know this is a hate crime and those kids should be locked up for a very long time.
    Why? Were you part of the investigation team?

Lets see, they said to kill him to each other and a severe beating can kill someone. Sounds like attempted murder to me.