Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Question Computer Spec help.

So, i'm trying to get a good gaming computer and have been looking up as much as i can but i'm still on the edge on the processor. That being said, don't have awhole lot of money so trying to keep it some what low. The processors i've been looking at are:

Intel Core i5 2500K 3.30GHz/3.7GHz Turbo LGA 1155 Quad-Core Processor (6MB L3 Cache)

Intel Core i7 2600K 3.4GHz/3.8GHz Turbo LGA 1155 Quad-Core Processor (8MB L3 Cache)

Intel Core i7 2700k 3.50GHz/3.9GHz Turbo LGA 1155 Quad-Core Processor (8MB L3 Cache)

My question is, is there much difference between the 3? What's better for gaming (only gamimg, do no video editing, ect ect)? Now that being said, I'm wanting something that will last atleast a few years, if not more. Will getting the 2700k get some more years? Are there any other processors that are better, yet around the same price?

My other Computer specs are:

NZXT Phantom - White (Full Tower) Standard Case Fans

Corsair H100 (Processor water cooling)

NVIDIA® GeForce™ GTX 570 1.25G Total GDDR5 Stock Graphics Card Cooling

8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 MHz (2x 4GB) Memory

ASUS Sabertooth P67- SLI Ready USB 3.0/ SATA 6G

Corsair Enthusiast TX Series 750 Watt

750GB Western Digital Black - SATA 3.0, 32MB Cache, 7200 RPM HDD

24X CD/DVD Burner (DVD+/-RW)

7.1 Channel High Definition Surround Sound

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Good setup? Any suggestions on other parts? Also, say if i wanted 2 video cards, will a 750W hold that or would i need a bigger one?

In advance, tyvm for your help.
    Last edited by KihtKahtBear; 2012-04-08 at 04:59 AM.

If you are going for gaming specifically, I would stick with the i5 2500k. That being said, you are on a budget and that cpu would be best, but if you can wait and save some more money, the new Ivy Bridge processors are coming soon.

but if i had to vote now, i5 2500k.

Deleted
    First off I would suggest you buy the parts and put it together yourself and also wait for IvyBridge + Z77 motherboard (sometime this month). If you can't wait i5-2500k is the way to go for gaming, no doubt about it. Hyper threading on the i7 will actually lower gaming performance in certain games.

The PSU is enough power for SLI GTX680's.

Spend the saved money (form the CPU change) on a 120GB+ SSD. Crucial m4, Corsair Force GT (price/performance) is usually the best you can get in those pre-built systems.

Is there any prices on the CPU yet? If so, how much or where can i find it? Also, i've done the math on building one myself and buying one prebuilt, the difference was about $100. That being said, on Newegg.com, do you get warranty of some sort on every part? I only saw spending more money for a year, two or three. If that's the case, then buying one prebuilt would be cheaper + wouldn't have to worry about messing anything up when putting it together (never done it before).
    Last edited by KihtKahtBear; 2012-05-03 at 01:02 AM.

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The Z77 Motherboards will probably be around 130$-400$ depending on which one you want to get. I mean just like now with motherboards it depends on how many PCI slots/Ram slots/ and other features you want. The 3750 I5 ivy bridge will probably be around 230-250$ that's just me guessing and going off of other peoples guesses.

And the motherboards are going on sale tomorrow, right? then the CPU at the end of the month?

10+ Year Old Account
    There out now in some places but yea I think tomorrow is the official release date.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by KihtKahtBear View Post
    Is there any prices on the CPU yet? If so, how much or where can i find it? Also, i've done the math on building one myself and buying one prebuilt, the difference was about $100. That being said, on Newegg.com, do you get warranty of some sort on every part? I only saw spending more money for a year, two or three. If that's the case, then buying one prebuilt would be cheaper + wouldn't have to worry about messing anything up when putting it together (never done it before).

Also, are the prices right on the Z77, about $50?
    How much is that pre-built right now?

Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    How much is that pre-built right now?
    $1,438.00 for the pre-built, 3 year warranty. What's the warranty on the Newegg.com computer hardware, do you know?

Then again, this was before i changed what i was getting. So i'll have to re-add everything back up to see

---------- Post added 2012-04-07 at 11:21 PM ----------

Just got done adding everything up (for self build), it's $990.91 with shipping. That being said, i didn't add any hard drives, DVD drives or mindows 7 (thought i'd just take the dvd/hard drive from my comp that i have now). That's also without a motherboard, the new Z77 are now out so thought i'd wait.

With the new Z77, i don't know anything about PCI slots whatsoever, so some help on that would be great.
    Last edited by KihtKahtBear; 2012-04-08 at 04:59 PM.

Deleted
    Yeah this is what i got for a self build PC with the components you have in your OP, granted I would change a few things (like a different GPU, case, motherboard and CPU heatsink):

Part list permalink / Part price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.99 @ Microcenter)
    CPU Cooler: Corsair H100 92.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($112.99 @ NCIX US)
    Motherboard: Asus P8P67 Deluxe (REV 3.0) ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($209.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($52.99 @ NCIX US)
    Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black 750GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($117.94 @ Adorama)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 570 1.25GB Video Card ($273.88 @ NCIX US)
    Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Corsair 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $1255.74
    (Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
    (Generated 2012-04-08 21:38 EDT-0400)

As for the Z77 motherboard it depends which features you're looking for but an all around good board would probably be this:

ASRock Z77 Extreme4 - ~$155

Add this and a new IvyBridge CPU to the below and you'll have a nice solid build, granted that means building it yourself:

CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK-140 90.3 CFM CPU Cooler ($59.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($52.99 @ NCIX US)
    Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($103.02 @ NCIX US)
    Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7870 2GB Video Card ($377.86 @ Newegg)
    Case: Corsair 400R ATX Mid Tower Case ($84.99 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: OCZ 600W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($44.99 @ NCIX US)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $841.82
    (Generated 2012-04-08 21:51 EDT-0400)

Could change the GPU to a 7850 to save some money but with the 7870 you'll get GTX580 performance at a lower price.

Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($264.98 @ Newegg)
    Total: $264.98
    (Generated 2012-04-08 21:53 EDT-0400)

And there is no price range for the ivy bridges yet, right?

Then i heard the Radeon GPU was worse then the Geforce, care to enlighten me on this and if so, would the 7850 be any better then the GTX 570? For the power supply, is that enough for 2x video cards, LED lights ect (if i ever wanted to do that), SSD and what not or should i go higher?

But i might go with the 7870.

10+ Year Old Account
    7870 is a solid card I would go with that for one you can buy it now and for two the only thing that's better is a 79xx series and a 680(I'm not counting 6990 and 590).

Deleted
    Is there any reason you're going with such an expensive motherboard? I just built my new PC, and it has a motherboard that cost around 90 euro (so I'm guessing around 100 dollars). It's an ASUS P8H67-V B3 Revision. Seems to do everything I could ever want, though I'm not sure what your requirements are

Also, unless you already have one now, you should really consider getting an SSD. They really do add a lot

And finally, you can't just take your current HDD and put it in the new computer and expect everything to work right (Windows I mean). Changing that much hardware will make Windows really confused, at least last time I tried Do consider reinstalling. If you currently have a license for it, maybe you can just reuse that, depending on what kind of license it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Olafski View Post
    Is there any reason you're going with such an expensive motherboard? I just built my new PC, and it has a motherboard that cost around 90 euro (so I'm guessing around 100 dollars). It's an ASUS P8H67-V B3 Revision. Seems to do everything I could ever want, though I'm not sure what your requirements are

Also, unless you already have one now, you should really consider getting an SSD. They really do add a lot

And finally, you can't just take your current HDD and put it in the new computer and expect everything to work right (Windows I mean). Changing that much hardware will make Windows really confused, at least last time I tried Do consider reinstalling. If you currently have a license for it, maybe you can just reuse that, depending on what kind of license it is.

Was thinking that, so i'm just gonna buy a new hard drive and go about my day, lol don't want to make this harder then it needs to be :P
    Last edited by KihtKahtBear; 2012-04-09 at 11:46 AM.

Deleted
    Good idea You can obviously continue using your old hard drive, but really try to fit an SSD in there. It makes a huge difference. Make it a 120+ gigabyte one too, so it can fit Windows and 2-3 games on it with some space to spare. I currently have Windows 7, WoW and the MoP beta on mine (128GB Samsung), with 53GB free. When Diablo 3 comes out I'll put that on (and obviously delete the MoP beta since that'll be incorporated into WoW).

Login times are so smooth now

Oh and while we're at it, some more tips:
    - disable hibernation on your machine unless you really plan to use it, else that'll take up space equal to your memory (8GB in your case, I went with 16GB)
    - reduce the page file (if you feel comfortable with that). By default Windows 7 sets it equal to your memory once again, so another 8GB "lost". I set mine to 1GB.

Here are some more tips on Windows 7 on an SSD: http://www.overclock.net/t/1156654/s...-for-ssds-hdds

Ok, will do. I don't know awhole lot of stuff about computers and what not so that guide will help alot, lol. Thanks!

I'm still debating on the case i really want. Don't really care for the look, just want something Somewhat big, with good airflow. that said, i'm lookin at three cases atm (if you know of any better cases, then feel free to link them)

NZXT Phantom 410 $129.99
    Corsair 600T $169.99
    Corsair 400R $100

That's about as high as i want to go for the case. Overall, what's your thoughts on the cases?

Deleted
    Of those 3, considering the price, I'd go with the 400R. Also check out 500R (black or white/black) and Fractal Design Arc midi, all great quality cases to build in.

As for your HD7850 vs GTX570 question:

Performance comparison, HD7850 vs GTX570

With the new Z77 motherboards released my recommendation goes towards this one from Asrock:

Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($147.86 @ Newegg)
    Total: $147.86
    (Generated 2012-04-09 14:50 EDT-0400)

10+ Year Old Account
    If the budget is tight you could skip the next processor generation, new tech is expensive and this generation aint much about faster cpus but more about better integrated graphics and less power spending, I guess that sticking with an i5 2500k would be the best choice for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Rafax View Post
    If the budget is tight you could skip the next processor generation, new tech is expensive and this generation aint much about faster cpus but more about better integrated graphics and less power spending, I guess that sticking with an i5 2500k would be the best choice for you.
    But waiting for 2 weeks will mean he can either a) buy a slightly better chip (they were talking about the price being good even for new) or b) buy an older chip that will then be cheaper.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    I knew it would be useful to be french at some point.
    Quote Originally Posted by xxAkirhaxx
    just get a mac. It's like sleeping with a fat chick to avoid STD's.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KihtKahtBear View Post
    Ok, will do. I don't know awhole lot of stuff about computers and what not so that guide will help alot, lol. Thanks!

I'm still debating on the case i really want. Don't really care for the look, just want something Somewhat big, with good airflow. that said, i'm lookin at three cases atm (if you know of any better cases, then feel free to link them)

NZXT Phantom 410 $129.99
    Corsair 600T $169.99
    Corsair 400R $100

That's about as high as i want to go for the case. Overall, what's your thoughts on the cases?
    I can only comment on the 600T due to having it myself (White edition one)
    And i must say its a really nice looking case with lots of space and good cable management.

I have had it for 4 months now, and the only two negative things with the case is the lack of internal USB 3.0 connector, and dust filter on the top panel, tho none of them are any big deal and you can easily live with how they are.
    The USB3.0 cable is plugged in on the backside of the motherboard, drawn out from the panel above the graphic card slot, unless you get an adapter sou you can plug it in straight on the motherboard connector.

The 200mm fans that comes with the case got white LEDs on them... Which i thought would be a negative thing for me since i have always disliked LEDs in my cases.
    But they haven't disturbed me anything for the 4 months i have had the case.
    And they also gives the case quite some nice airflow.
    The temps went down by 5º C with this case over my Fractal Design Define R3 case i had before, which also had all fan-slots used. (Which is around 7-8 fans)
    And with the white edition, you can change the window to a mesh-panel with 4 fan slots, which drags down the temperatures a bit more, but it lacks dust filter.