Page 1 of 9
... LastLast

Mafia Game discussion thread

First things is first anyone can post in this thread regardless of if they have actually playing in one of the games or not.

Some I was going to make a long post with my thoughts about the different things that we need to figure out... but instead I decided to just point out the topics that need some attention.

1. Now that the game is over how do you feel about the semi-closed set-up? What was the fun factor for you individually? Was it more interesting or did it make it so stressful that it was hard to have fun? Would you like to do it again? Maybe try a completely closed set-up?

2. Use of PM's... honestly there isn't much we can do about it PM's being used and they do add another interesting aspect to the game. However, some people have concerns about them since they take some of the game play out of the thread. Lets discuss it.

3. If you sign-up realize you may get what you consider a crap role. Don't sign up if you are just going to not play if you get a role you don't like. It's just rude to your team mates and can completely mess-up a game.

4. Last one is a plea... please please while you are playing do your bestest to not get banned. Again it screws over your team mates (obviously this is just a plea from me)

Ok lets hear what you guys have to say

Current sign-ups for Mafia 9 can be found here.
    Last edited by Arlee; 2012-04-09 at 05:12 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can't really answer the two questions well, because game 8 was my first and I didn't last long. However, I did have fun while it lasted. If there is a game 9, I will sign up for it
    Formerly The Dwarf Lover (TDL)

10+ Year Old Account
    Reserved for infos I may think up(so it'll be near the top)

Game is looking like it will be starting next Monday!
    The time could always change, but remember, we're doing this so we all can have a break!

These are the people I have interested so far in the next game, I'll be pm'ing some of them to ensure they're still interested:
    Signups are possibly still open. IF you're interested in the next game, pm me and I'll give you first dibs on the list!

1. Aydon
    2. Gibbsy999
    3. Elyaan
    4. Lysah
    5. The dwarf lover
    6. Purifier
    7. Silkku
    8. falbacca
    9. Uggorthaholy (might drop)
    10. Lellybaby
    11. Dyra (sorry Kitteh :P)
    12. Prez-
    13. Rixis
    14. baldoora
    15. nalnik
    16. Eniah
    17. Anakso
    18. Kuthe
    19. Shabalios
    20. Treann
    21. Trixie (maybe)
    22. Remilia
    23. Krayzy
    24. Firebert
    25. Keleb
    26. Maximus

If you weren't added and said you wanted to play, pm me quick before the game starts and I'll see what I can do to get you in the game!

I'm also thinking that if there's enough people, we might have two games this time b/c bigger games can take a while(though I think this last one lasted only 5 days or so)

Quote Originally Posted by Arlee
    4. Last one is a plea... please please while you are playing do your bestest to not get banned. Again it screws over your team mates (obviously this is just a plea from me)
    I'm echoing this plea. It sucked that both Army and Lysah got banned and really hurt the mafia last game(even though they lasted the longest and Army was killed the night he was banned). Please do try and be sensible poster and stay within the rules of the forums while you're playing
    Last edited by Loaf; 2012-04-10 at 11:32 AM.

I'd give you an inch, you'd take me a mile, your tail wagging happily all the while.

if the PM aren't gonna be allowed, there will be very VERY low chances for the town to win, also remember what it says on the rules "anything can be faked" you take that at your own risk if you're gonna pm anyone, it has been 7 games and nobody complained about PMs

other thing: when you play a game, there have to be a winner, and a loser, if you can't stand losing, don't play it then, i have seen people that go rage when they are gonna lose (again, it's just a game)
    You will not be forgotten, Eleanor / Steam ID / DeviantArt page / YouTube / Twitter

Oh yea that I was something else I was going to mention Treann... the game can get intense... also you have to expect that people in the game will lie to you at some point, if you can't handle that... or if you have a hard time dealing with things not going your way, this game is probably not a good game for you. Even when you are trying to trick other people you need to still treat them in a respectful manner. It's a game and everyone wants to have fun

10+ Year Old Account
    I gotta admit - I was bummed out about getting killed at the end - but I didn't get mad about it. And, in regards to my role, I was the SK - but usually in video games, I always choose the good guys first - in SWTOR right now, I have 3 of 4 Imperials choosing light side choices O.o ... When Worg told me I was gonna be a SK, I wasn't overjoyed at the role - I was hoping to be a townie, but I accepted the role and decided to play the game as that.

Also, I know I need to talk more often and not be labeled a lurker as well - I'm a little shy at first when it comes to meeting new people but eventually I open up once I get to know them ... so I think I'll be more active during this next game.

And finally, as far as PMs go ... they may quite possibly affect the outcome of the game and therefore might be considered unfair - but tbh, who's gonna stop people talking to each other in steam, vent, etc.? - which btw, Worg NEVER did discuss anything with me - and he was careful to whisper Arlee while I was here in the room. If it's one thing Worg believes in, it's fairness.

10+ Year Old Account
    Adding to what both you and Treann said Arlee, I was happy that the town won the first 3 games. I was town for all 3 of em ^_^ But losing the rest of the games I played wasn't anything big b/c I always told myself 'well there's always next game' and even though I lost the next game and the next game, sure I was bummed, but I never got mad. Hell, I got more mad at getting townie over and over again than I did losing :3

I'd give you an inch, you'd take me a mile, your tail wagging happily all the while.

15+ Year Old Account
    TBF, I'm somewhat interested in the next round as well. Count me in for now.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would definitely be interested if you guys would like me back :>

It was definitely fun, and the PM thing while annoying wasn't a big deal. What really changed the game for me was when Krayzy came out and said he had 6 votes in his pocket. For the scum to have any chance we had to combine forces and that's what we did in the end. I'm happy with the way the game went, it could have gone alot different, I almost got Firebert to NK EN the night before she came out with the confession that she was the investigator. Would have changed everything.

I liked alot of the roles are you thinking of adding any new ones Arlee/Worg??

10+ Year Old Account
    Was thinking of possibly some sorta spy role that is a scum that's randomly chosen on each team after the leaders are chosen(if we have leaders) and is basically searched for by the masons(to give them a bit more to do) and that if the masons find a spy, they get all the info about that scum's team, but if they hit any scum, the mason doing the search is killed(so as to balance against getting such a wealth of knowledge).

It would take some tweaking obviously and there's ideas aplenty floating around for it but I'm tired so I'm only posting the very basic idea of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    As I said in the other thread. If the thread starts on or around the 15th count me in (I'll be getting back into town that day. I'll have internet access prior to that, but limited.)

1) I'm not a big fan of the semi-closed or fully-closed setup. My brain was exploding with trying to figure everything out. While that was fun and did add a bit to it it also stressed me out.

2) Agreed
    3) Agreed
    4) Agreed

As for the new stuff for masons, I don't think more info is needed. The masons already have a decent amount of power if played right. I'm not sure giving them more power would be good for the game (from a scum standpoint). It would also make things even more confusing for the regular town members if added in a game using any sort of closed setup.

10+ Year Old Account
    If there is one thing I can think about then it is the fact that that you should stop adding more and more complexity or more roles. Some people have to get VT and deal with it, and I am also fine with RNGing VT worgy. I think that im among the top of people to have been VT most times. And phillipisawarlock should no longer be welcome in these games, I hope he never bothers to show up again.

---------- Post added 2012-04-07 at 08:36 AM ----------

Oh and here's a fun fact for everyone to know, I haven't won any game apart from game 1.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dyra View Post
    Because what they are atm are plait tugging, sniffing, glaring, prissy, clothes obsessed bitches who I would quite cheerfully drown.
    I often post from my mobile device, typos in my posts are 99% likely to be because of that.
    All I would ever want and need is a hug.

10+ Year Old Account
    Arlee's #1: I think the semi-closed set-up caused a hell of a lot of stress. People prefer open, we should stick with open.
    Arlee's #2 and #3 together:
    Quote Originally Posted by NightFury Treann View Post
    if the PM aren't gonna be allowed, there will be very VERY low chances for the town to win
    As it stands the mantra I've seen everyone use is "if the town PM each other a lot early then they win, if they don't, they lose". This is not true at all, as we've had roughly equal Town and Scum wins so far. I'm going to put this down to coincidence.

The other reason people are afraid of banned PMing putting games into the Scum's hands is that we've had a massive power creep since Game 1. With very few people getting a Vanilla Townie role they thought they were penalised compared to the rest of the town. The best solution to this is to make at least half the town Vanilla Townies (and this also perfectly counterbalances the banning of PMing: the Town now has strength in numbers but a weakness in communication).

Arlee's #4: We were lucky that the game was semi-open when people were banned as it kept people "in the dark" as it were with the setup (with the exception of LOL Medical Examiner). Players like Rixis deliberately angering the Gods should be discouraged. It is Boub's forum and his rules, including not discussing infractions.

Worgenite: Have a look on Mafia Wiki for the list of roles and their power traits. I implore you, however, we should REALLY cut down on the amount of power roles the town has. Pushing a few people away because they didn't get an "interesting role" is far far worse than most of the Town being in the dark and using the thread to try to find scum instead of going behind closed doors.

I'm /in for Mafia 9 (with no chat restrictions this time around) and it might be my last game depending on how it goes. Having half the game in PMs is not fun for anyone except the people PMing each other, and detracts from the point of the thread. I'm afraid that if the thread turns into just a list of votes then there's no point playing.
    37 + (3*7) + (3*7)
    W/L/T/Death count: Wolf: 0/1/0/1 | Mafia: 1/6/0/7 | TPR: 0/4/1/5
    SK: 0/1/0/1 | VT: 2/5/2/7 | Cult: 1/0/0/1

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm in if PMs are not banned, my first infraction was "angering the gods", my first infraction was stupid anyway and had i not got it i'd not have got the second, and i didn't get banned during the game, hell, i was dead pretty damned quick

i like the semi-closed setup, as you have more to think about, though i was dead the majority of the game, so if i guessed someone was a role, worgen could/would just tell me

people not playing when they get what they perceive to be a crap role should be banned from future games, ESPECIALLY when they specifically state that they didn't bother playing because of the role they were given

my main criticism of this game was there was too much whining about the rules of the game and personal attacks and fighting between people that wasn't game related

As a bystander in game 8 I think it was great fun to not knowing how many there were of each. It brings a lot more into the game. A lot more possibilities. That makes it somewhat harder for townies, but it may be countered. One thing that I considered was that EN and Wass did some sacrifice mission, but that Wass was really a goone and not a wolf. They "show" the townies that there's a wolf team "for sure" (even if there isn't one) and makes the investigator use seer half the time reducing the risk of getting caught themselves. Also as soon as Wass had claimed to be Wolf, everyone took that as certain, or didn't dare voice suspicion. Let's say there'd been three wolves who were all wiped out (and confirmed wolves) soon after Wass. Townies believe there's at least 4 goones alive while there's only two. That will cast a lot of suspicion from townie on townie. I think it was a great to watch the game when you had no idea how many teams there were and how many in each team there were.

That I as a bystander is kept out of conversations in the "townie team" is a bit frustrating, it feels a bit like people are trying to abuse the ability of PMs just because they happen to exist on this forum. As there's no way to prevent PM-ing, I don't think it can be banned. However I think that there should be something saying that it is encouraged to use the forum for all conversations (except ofc for goone-team and the like). PMing is allowed but not encouraged.

That said I'd love to be part of the next mafia game if there'll be one. And given that I enjoyed just watching the game I don't think I'll have a problem with being a "crap" role. I have no mafia experience of this level, but I've played a lot of a simpler form of mafia and I caught up on the differences rather quickly by watching the last game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well the problem with having everything in the thread is it gives the Scum a much larger advantage since it gives them access to every piece of information going on top of their own factional thread. Since I am agreed that there should be fewer power roles this time around, this puts the Towns in what is going to end up as an untenable position as those with Power roles cannot ever risk releasing their information without immediately getting picked on by Scum. Since there will be so few Power roles total the Town can't dare to lose the few we do get.

PMing just provides a safety net for the Town that is in danger of fraying and developing massive holes at any moment. I'm not entirely sure, but this seems to be the first time PMing has managed to get a Town faction bigger than the Scum factions put together and I don't see it likely to ever happen again, since it was Nemi's declaration and Wass backing it up that managed to get the trust of most of what was the Townie voting bloc. If that had not happened, the game could have gone a very different direction. The only other game where I've reached out (game 3) we only had a bloc of 3 people in the end. Most of the rest of the time it has backfired badly for the Town.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebert
    Pushing a few people away because they didn't get an "interesting role" is far far worse than most of the Town being in the dark and using the thread to try to find scum instead of going behind closed doors.
    I really can't understand this bit. Could you clarify for me please Bert?

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm tired so if I sound brunt(or w/e the word is) or something, excuse me(I just woke up), but there is NO possible way to police PMs on this forum(as far as I know) so if you're upset about anything having to do with PMs, you'll have to either a) live with it or b)join in and hope you can take advantage of it or c) not play.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Worgenite View Post
    I'm tired so if I sound brunt(or w/e the word is) or something, excuse me(I just woke up), but there is NO possible way to police PMs on this forum(as far as I know) so if you're upset about anything having to do with PMs, you'll have to either a) live with it or b)join in and hope you can take advantage of it or c) not play.
    OI BEAGLE!!! Y I NO ON YOUR INTERESTED LIST HUH?!?!?

*bites tip of Beagle tail*

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dyra View Post
    OI BEAGLE!!! Y I NO ON YOUR INTERESTED LIST HUH?!?!?

*bites tip of Beagle tail*
    *yalps*
    I sowwy Kitteh!
    *sulks off into a corner, sad and hurt*

I'm in for next game.
    Closed setup I didn't like, because it made me feel naked and as far as the PM goes, I feel if I didn't PM anybody this game, town would've lost, or been closer to losing and it made the game more fun without the faction threads.