Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    i'm up for the next game (as i said but you didn't list me )

i prefer less different factions personally, i (personally, others might see it as overpowered) would like to see a detective role who can find any bad guy, but i'd rather have 2 mafia teams and then 1 or a team of 2 SKs, and the detective gets the result of town/scum (as opposed to specifically labelling what faction they are)

it might seem a bit OP in that it can identify all roles (though you could keep SKs investigation immune i suppose), but it allows the detective for form connections, whereas last game, if EN had seered me, she'd have gotten town, and i could have "infiltrated" her network and been safe as long as she didn't cop me

this is always the problem i have with 2 separate scum factions but the investigator only being able to find one, it seems a bit .. meh as far as the investigator goes

Having to investegate the same person twice if you're the jack or investegator taking two nights, when you might end up dead or something aswell sucks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rixis View Post
    i'm up for the next game (as i said but you didn't list me )

i prefer less different factions personally, i (personally, others might see it as overpowered) would like to see a detective role who can find any bad guy, but i'd rather have 2 mafia teams and then 1 or a team of 2 SKs, and the detective gets the result of town/scum (as opposed to specifically labelling what faction they are)

it might seem a bit OP in that it can identify all roles (though you could keep SKs investigation immune i suppose), but it allows the detective for form connections, whereas last game, if EN had seered me, she'd have gotten town, and i could have "infiltrated" her network and been safe as long as she didn't cop me

this is always the problem i have with 2 separate scum factions but the investigator only being able to find one, it seems a bit .. meh as far as the investigator goes
    one of the ideas I had for the investigator was to allow them to be able to do 2 investigations per night(like 2 seers, 2 cops or one of each) but they can't target the same person if they do the one of each thing.

I'd give you an inch, you'd take me a mile, your tail wagging happily all the while.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Everything Nice View Post
    I'd second this, at least in a semi-closed set-up. Seems to favor scum. =\
    When the Town hugely outnumbers Scum (which it should do) then it doesn't favor scum at all, and makes for a far more consistent game in the thread (instead of having dead days when no-one roleclaims and actionpacked days when people do roleclaim).

---------- Post added 2012-04-07 at 03:10 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Dyra View Post
    I really can't understand this bit. Could you clarify for me please Bert?
    Having the majority of the Town as Power Roles and very few Vanilla Townies, it encourages people that are Vanilla Townies to just straight up quit (much like Phillip did). The best way to stop this (as it hurts everyone) is to fill the town with VTs, go back to one scum faction, and ban PMing such that Vanilla Townies feel like they have as much power as the other solo Power Roles (Serial Killers, Cops, and so on).

With "the town being in the dark", see the times where the thread is supposed to have a lot going on (scumhunting, discussing roleclaims) and is actually dead (courtesy of PMs).

---------- Post added 2012-04-07 at 03:19 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Worgenite View Post
    I'm tired so if I sound brunt(or w/e the word is) or something, excuse me(I just woke up), but there is no possible way to police PMs on this forum(as far as I know) so if you're upset about anything having to do with PMs, you'll have to either a) live with it or b)join in and hope you can take advantage of it or c) not play.
    Or d) honorably refuse to PM regarding the game or respond to a game-related PM no matter its origin or medium. I'm willing to play another game with PMs but I'm incredibly disappointed at how the game had turned out after I was lynched. Asher was right: as soon as Day 3 finished the thread got eerily quiet, which was fun for no-one (not even those that were dead).

There may be no way to police it. And I'm probably the worst person to suggest a system that relies on the trust of everyone playing. Shouting at people because they want to ban PMs isn't the nicest thing in the world, as is arguing with people trying to explain why Vanilla Townies shouldn't be PMing. I'm sorry for any offense I've caused but I'm trying to describe to everyone my position and my incredibly strong feelings.

If enough people want to play Mafia with banned PMs I'll happily try to run one, probably under a 2of4 setup to start with. It's a better solution to "we're PMing, fuck off".
    37 + (3*7) + (3*7)
    W/L/T/Death count: Wolf: 0/1/0/1 | Mafia: 1/6/0/7 | TPR: 0/4/1/5
    SK: 0/1/0/1 | VT: 2/5/2/7 | Cult: 1/0/0/1

10+ Year Old Account
    the thread got a lot quieter because of a number of reasons, 1 was that most of the "big" posters were dead (or in wass' case outed as scum, so there was no need to post anything else), the other was that people were discouraged and even potentially going to be night killed because of their posting

EN stopped posting "fluff" because people disliked her for it, whereas i love the fluff, as it allows the players to play the game and 1. get to meet/get along with new people (as an aside to the game), and potentially form bonds with other players within the game (allowing scum to infiltrate town INSIDE the thread), which could work to either sides advantage

10+ Year Old Account
    EN stopped posting "fluff" because people disliked her for it, whereas i love the fluff, as it allows the players to play the game and get to meet/get along with new people (as an aside to the game), and potentially form bonds with other players within the game (allowing scum to infiltrate town INSIDE the thread), which could work to either sides advantage
    I didn't mind the fluff to start with. The game needs a seed to form round and fluff is perfect for that job.

What I did mind is that when we started getting down to business in Day 1 (see my vote against Wass), she continued to fluff. Not only does it fill up the thread making tracking back for posts very difficult (scum tell), it adds nothing to the game from then onwards (i.e. distraction tactic, scumtell). I was amazed that no-one wanted to lynch her day 1 along with other fluffers, but as I said before, Lynch All Lurkers was working well during the previous game, but it didn't this time around.

I don't know.
    37 + (3*7) + (3*7)

10+ Year Old Account
    i post a lot, whether people regard it as fluff or not i know not (nor care), and i've only ever been lynched, and that was in the final half an hour run up of game to the end

and yet of the 5 games i've played, onyl 1 i've been town >.>

nemi posted loads of fluff and was town

i'm guessing and could be wrong here, but maybe the perceived "scum tells" come from your having played with more experienced players on dedicated forums

10+ Year Old Account
    People stopped posting as much because a ton of information was already released. There wasn't a need to post and try and figure things out as I openly posted it in the thread (I didn't have everything right of course. Not at first.). Should I have held onto that info? Possibly. I took a calculated risk and it worked out in the long run. The town talking after I did that would have been dumb. They had nothing to gain once I released everything.

As for lynching Nemi for fluff, believe me I HATED skimming through all of it when I went back through to try and connect people, but it doesn't mean someone should stop doing it. We all play this game to have fun and most of us find the random back and forth between people as fun. Yes, there should be a good amount of game talk mixed in. It doesn't have to be completely about the game though.

I'm in for next game, and I suggest a simpler set-up where there are few town power roles and many townies. Being one of the few townies where everyone has their own factional thread and can PM between each other was weird.
    I did like the semi-closed set up though. Not knowing how many people were in each team was more interesting than knowing one faction is gone because X amount of people are dead and in the same faction.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like the feedback so far. I'll talk it over with Arlee and see what comes up. Also, I might play this next game, I haven't decided yet :3

I'd give you an inch, you'd take me a mile, your tail wagging happily all the while.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibbsy999 View Post
    I'm in for next game, and I suggest a simpler set-up where there are few town power roles and many townies. Being one of the few townies where everyone has their own factional thread and can PM between each other was weird.
    I did like the semi-closed set up though. Not knowing how many people were in each team was more interesting than knowing one faction is gone because X amount of people are dead and in the same faction.
    while i agree with the overall statement, with regards the bolded part, traitors can also be a part of this too (closed or open setup)

one "problem" with closed is that it gives the scum a slightly better idea of numbers (i basically worked out the entire scum setup based purely on my being in the mafia), the counter problem to the solution to this problem is unbalancing it

Blademaster
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    First things is first anyone can post in this thread regardless of if they have actually playing in one of the games or not.

Some I was going to make a long post with my thoughts about the different things that we need to figure out... but instead I decided to just point out the topics that need some attention.

1. Now that the game is over how do you feel about the semi-closed set-up? What was the fun factor for you individually? Was it more interesting or did it make it so stressful that it was hard to have fun? Would you like to do it again? Maybe try a completely closed set-up?
    I felt as a townie it was harder to win. Yes we Lucked out on almost every lynch, but it was harder then if we had tried a different setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    2. Use of PM's... honestly there isn't much we can do about it PM's being used and they do add another interesting aspect to the game. However, some people have concerns about them since they take some of the game play out of the thread. Lets discuss it.
    I personally think this is what kept the game in lurker mode. Have a insta-dead rule for pms and have a safety rule for reporting them. it will clean the game up fast.

all in all i liked the game. It was slower then what i had experienced when I played it with my friends. The only thing I would add is ether hard set the deadlines or have a way to pm/contact all the payers letting them know of the day/night transition. This being my first forum based game I almost missed out on day 2 actions.

I would like play another round if you have room.

10+ Year Old Account
    The problem with that, Max is that no-one in their right mind would report the PMs, and I really cannot envisage anyone without a power role enjoying the game without them since all they've got is to stand alone as fodder for the Mafia to pick off. That and the amount of BS in thread will undoubtedly exponentially increase further.

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.

Blademaster
    15+ Year Old Account
    im not saying its a perfect answer. but something along the lines of incentive to play fair would help the game imo.

10+ Year Old Account
    As far as I'm concerned, PMing is playing fair, but with slightly muddy fingers.

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.

Sign me up please \o/

10+ Year Old Account
    You can fluff all you want darling. I shall assist if this ridiculous ban on PMing is even so much as dared to be tested.

I shall make you all want to lynch me.

10+ Year Old Account
    And this is likely why I won't play much in ze future. Fluff is what I do. May as well tell me not to breathe
    i load the page everytime i load firefox .. and then constantly throughout the day, when the page goes any length of time with no post, regardless of what it says, i get bored

(same as pvm and factional chats, i reload them constantly for updates >.>)

10+ Year Old Account
    i load the page everytime i load firefox .. and then constantly throughout the day, when the page goes any length of time with no post, regardless of what it says, i get bored

(same as pvm and factional chats, i reload them constantly for updates >.>)
    this! I love ze fluff ^_^

10+ Year Old Account
    The problem with that, Max is that no-one in their right mind would report the PMs
    I'd report them, Asher would report them if he was going to play again, and if we implement it you should too.

and I really cannot envisage anyone without a power role enjoying the game without them since all they've got is to stand alone as fodder for the Mafia to pick off. That and the amount of BS in thread will undoubtedly exponentially increase further.
    The fun part of being a Power Role is judging when you've ran your luck with the Lynches and Night Kills long enough and coming out during a day with your role and trying to convince everyone that you're really that role. Along with looking as Townie as possible, but not too townie as to warrant being Night Killed by scum and not to scummy as to be Lynched by the Town.

If people are spamming up the thread (that's anti-town) they should be quickly lynched or put under pressure to stop spamming.

All Town-aligned players should be roleclaiming before they get lynched. Mafia claiming VTs will get heavily scrutinised, and they'll quickly run into trouble if they claim a power role.

---------- Post added 2012-04-07 at 09:19 PM ----------

You can fluff all you want darling. I shall assist if this ridiculous ban on PMing is even so much as dared to be tested.
    There's no need to be disruptive if you don't like something. Like I said before, I'll happily run a PM-free game if there's enough demand for it. It just looks like that the pro-PM camp are puffing themselves up.

---------- Post added 2012-04-07 at 09:25 PM ----------

And this is likely why I won't play much in ze future. Fluff is what I do. May as well tell me not to breathe
    Some is fine. I mean, you probably played the power role perfectly regardless of alignment: fluffed up day 1 signifying scum, fluffed up day 2 enough but the Town didn't want to lynch you, and then you roleclaimed day 3 with a Town Role with positive hit.

It's just that in future, players such as Kumduh will push to lynch you if you add nothing to the thread (especially considering the Town should be scumhunting during Day 2 if Day 1 had enough information in it.)

But as it stands, if you fluff as scum or town, it won't matter any more. You'll be being consistent, and as such a risky lynch (the difference between you being Town and you being Scum will be next to nothing). The same is with me "crying" about getting voted on: I've been scum twice and I've tried to hold people accountable for their votes, and I'll do the same the next game even if I'm Town, as it keeps my image consistent.

So, overall, do what you like. Each player plays with their own playstyle, some riskier than others. I say keep the fluff but scumhunt when you need to.

/friendship
    37 + (3*7) + (3*7)