Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    Deleted

Don't expect a release date by the 10th

http://www.reddit.com/user/Mike-OBrien-ArenaNet

No, we won't. It's not like we have a secret release date and we're not telling you. We meant what we said: we'll release the game when it's ready. And beta testing is where we find out if it's ready.
    (That was in reply to someone speculating that a release date would be announced on the 10th or the 11th due to pre-purchases starting)

Personally I'm not especially happy about this, though I've been critical from the start with Anet using beta incentives with pre-purchases rather than pre-orders (unlike almost every other game company) even though there is no official release date. However, I'm hesitantly optimistic that we should definitely have a release date by the end of April after the first BWE (as long as it goes well) so I'm happy in that regard.

Deleted
    Why would anyone think they will give us a release date on the 10th? After all, it says that if you pre-purchase the game you will get access to every upcoming beta event. That alone means they are not going to release it in the very near future.

10+ Year Old Account
    Somehow it feels incredible stupid to buy a prepurchase when they still won't announce a release date.

Is there any information how long the prepurchase-sales last?
    Sing like no one is listening - Love like you've never been hurt
    Dance like no one is watching - Masturbate like no one else is on the bus

They've been saying that for a while, that they don't have a release date yet and that they were going to determine that date by how well the beta testing goes. Considering that they said they were going to have a BWE by the end of April and then another "every month or so" I'm not very encouraged that the game will release any time soon. If we get the game before July I'd be really surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by Baalb View Post
    Why would anyone think they will give us a release date on the 10th? After all, it says that if you pre-purchase the game you will get access to every upcoming beta event. That alone means they are not going to release it in the very near future.
    SWTOR had beta events upto i believe the last weekend before the early-access release. Just because they say "We will release on July 20" doesnt mean there are no beta events to go through anymore.

Was anyone expecting a release date? lol
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhywolver View Post
    Somehow it feels incredible stupid to buy a prepurchase when they still won't announce a release date.

Unless you plan on playing the game regardless . . . it's kind of a no-brainer for me, it's only 60 bucks, and a one-time purchase.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

They have said it will be out this year. They have suggested how many beta events there will be over the course of the next few months.
    They have not just released the pre-purchase and said you will get the game wheverver they feel like releasing it.
    Anet have been very open with their development.
    If you buy the pre-purchase, you know very well what you are buying. Anet are not at fault for the expectations of people in the least. They have been remarkably open tbh.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelbanes View Post
    They have said it will be out this year. They have suggested how many beta events there will be over the course of the next few months.
    They have not just released the pre-purchase and said you will get the game wheverver they feel like releasing it.
    Anet have been very open with their development.
    If you buy the pre-purchase, you know very well what you are buying. Anet are not at fault for the expectations of people in the least. They have been remarkably open tbh.
    I don't recall them stating how many beta events there will be over the next few months? In the FAQ all it says is that there will be roughly 1 every month.

Also I have to disagree with you somewhat. In a sense they have just released the pre-purchase and are giving it to us whenever it ready. Other than stating it will be ready sometime in 2012 they have given no estimate as to when the release date will be. Also they haven't really been much more open then other gaming companies. In fact it's very rare for a company to start pre-purchases without a confirmed release date (only the Wow Annual pass for Diablo III comes to mind, but that's a very different situation) - especially when major things like the Cash Shop aren't even finalised (in fact other than that blog post the only info we would have is because of leaks).

Quote Originally Posted by boredisboring13 View Post
    I don't recall them stating how many beta events there will be over the next few months? In the FAQ all it says is that there will be roughly 1 every month.

Also I have to disagree with you somewhat. In a sense they have just released the pre-purchase and are giving it to us whenever it ready. Other than stating it will be ready sometime in 2012 they have given no estimate as to when the release date will be. Also they haven't really been much more open then other gaming companies. In fact it's very rare for a company to start pre-purchases without a confirmed release date (only the Wow Annual pass for Diablo III comes to mind, but that's a very different situation) - especially when major things like the Cash Shop aren't even finalised (in fact other than that blog post the only info we would have is because of leaks).
    If you don't trust Anet enough to pre-purchase, then don't pre-purchase. Jeez. Nobody is forcing you to do it.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Quote Originally Posted by boredisboring13 View Post

I'm talking about the entire development process, rather than just the release date. Which, to be honest, is being jumped on by a lot of ppl looking for something to complain about because they're looking at it negatively.
    Anet saying.....well, we don't know exactly when it'll be ready so we're gonna say "when it's ready", and later adding 2012, is a hell of a lot more honest than, for example, blizzard with D3.
    Anet have never deceived.
    They've said exactly what is available with the pre-purchase and it's entirely up to the consumer whether they go for it. I don't see anything to be angry about tbh. They've very much tried to manage the expectations of fans repeatedly.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhywolver View Post

i could pre order d3 the day they officiale announced it. pre order is money earlyer. early money = profit for a company.

Look i think we can all agree,After all the good footage weve seen lately,and after hearing all the good things that GW2 is saying they have to offer,and after how looooong its been since GW2 was first mentioned ages ago,We all want this game to come out,and NOW.But,ive waited this long,and if Anet wants to wait till the game is rock solid,instead of rushing to push it out then say "ok,the game is full of bugs,our bad,were workin on it" Im more than willing to wait a few more months.Most companies push games out incomplete then spend the next year fixing bugs that could have been fixed before the game even came out.So if a few more months is what its gonna take..Then Anet take all the time u need

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    There's still something a little unsettling about being asked to pay full price for something that isn't available, no one knows when it'll be available, no clues on when it'll be available, etc.

I know they're not going to just run off with the money, but it's still a little puzzling.
    They are not forcing you to do it, that option is there for people who know for a fact they will be buying the game regardless of release date. People who pre-purchase know that the game is not ready but are going to get the game when it is.

Your money also goes into the development of the game.

And the loyal customers who believe in Anet and pre-purchase get to play the game early via beta and early access.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    i actually was :/ as previously stated, it makes sense to include a release date when paying fully in advance

I was secretly hoping they might give us a date, but I knew it was a slim chance. Ah well, at least I'll get my hands on the game a little bit this month!

Herald of the Titans theredviola's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    This. I'm content on waiting for Anet to give us a date and have no problem with it.
    "Do not only practice your art, but force yourself into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -- Ludwig Van Beethoven

Why is that strange? The game can do with some polish but a lot of the game looks done. They are preparing to offer a prePURCAHSE, not preorder but actually purchase it. Along with public beta(s), which are the last kind of beta events you will run.

So what exactly is strange about thinking Arenanet might have an idea of when they want to release the game at this point?

I'm sure it won't be bad as SWTOR's preorder/purchase was where we were buying the game in July. Then it wasn't released until December and to find the game was far from done. I am in no way wanting them to do the same. When it's ready is fine with me so long as it's a generally bug-free game unlike SWTOR which my god...that thing had full blown aids.

Quote Originally Posted by terrahero View Post
    Why is that strange? The game can do with some polish but a lot of the game looks done. They are preparing to offer a prePURCAHSE, not preorder but actually purchase it. Along with public beta(s), which are the last kind of beta events you will run.

So what exactly is strange about thinking Arenanet might have an idea of when they want to release the game at this point?
    What you have seen looks done and what you have seen is level 1-30 which is like 2 zones and a dungeon?
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.