Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Diablo 3 or Path of Exile?

I'm sort of torn between the two of them, Diablo 3 the touted champion amongst a lot of biased folks, but have you seen Path of Exile? It has more people online playing it, a longer story and gritty realistic graphics similiar to those of Diablo 2. I'm just concerned that Diablo 3 may have taken to many pages out of WoWs book, don't get me wrong okay? I did enjoi Diablo 2, loved it actually...the music the atmosphere the sound effects and bloody gore were all there, but what I lack of see is the gore, haunting music and the general atmosphere in the videos i've watched of Diablo 3, it seems to have HDR+Bloom turned to the max and the lack of blood and gore make me reconsider if this is really a new in the series or a new 2d wow.. I'm not feeling the orchestra music neither, so someone enlighten me. What does Diablo 3 have over Path of Exile? I understand they cut the gore so children can play, but it just dont make any sense to me rite now so help me understanding what it is

I can't help but feel i'm playing a Disney game, its colorful and lacking any dark feeling.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    First i have heard of Path of Exile but yes it porbably dose have more people playing it seeing how D3 has yet to reach stores. My question is have you played the Diablo 3 beta? I don't really know how you have seen so much content from D3 seeing how blizzard hasn't released it. Or this could be a plug for PoE whatever the case maybe wait till you actually can play the full content of D3 to make a judgement imo
    Best Regards
    Abrams

actually they didn't cut the gore they just made it less predictable... as an example remember how giant spiders looked when they died it was always the same.
    now i haven't found any giant spiders in d3 yet however i have killed a ton of zombies and i'd say knocking all the flesh off of ones skeleton and then having said skeleton fall on the ground in a blood dripping mess is more gory and realistic than predetermined puddles of blood.
    that being said I've never played or even heard of PoE before
    and yes i'm in the d3 beta so i do have first hand experience
    God and maths? Hmm, the letter to alpha relation would be 7 - 15 - 4. Since it's all one word, it's safe to assume it's multiplication so it'd be 7*15*4=420. So realistically, god is related to cannabis? Perhaps that's what they were expecting you to write.

Diablo 3 if you want to play new game, Path of Exile if you want to play something that was old in 2005.

Deleted
    path of exile gets veeeeeeeeery boring even beta is much loooonnger than d3 beta
    diablo is the way to follow if you want polished gameplay and years of experience

They are pretty different in gameplay, to be honest. Both are top-down dungeon crawlers and that's about it really. Pacing, progression, customization and skill gains are night/day between the two.

Diablo is quicker paced and far slicker in presentation. Path of Exile is the exact opposite of that; slower, more obtuse.

I enjoy both games though they are only alike in that they share a genre card.

I played the beta for about a month maxing each character out and I don't understand your question on the lack of grit in D3. The game seems plenty gritty enough. I mean, there's not blood gushing out everywhere like a Kill Bill movie or anything, but I feel it's fairly dark and gritty. The music for D3 is pretty good, but not the best, I agree. I think a darker theme in the music would match the atmosphere a little better. D3 seems like a great game though.

I'll play both. You should go play D2 to remember how 'dark and gritty' that game was though.

diablo 3 all the way, path of exile wont compare simply because of the development time in comparison to blizzard and blizzards top notch customer service will ensure the most polished release it possibly can. Theres a reason the game went through several iterations in its rune system. Theres a reason it was delayed a lot, and its release is in may, when ppl expected a January release. It's all because of quality. Blizzard never disappoints when it comes to quality.
    Last edited by The Ogdru Jahad; 2012-04-08 at 04:34 AM.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Why choose? Path of Exile is free. As far as which I will play? Diablo 3.

I really dislike the class/skill system in Path of Exile. The only differences between classes are their starting statistics, and the position they start on the skill tree. The only thing the skill tree does, is give you passive bonuses. I played a character to 51 in the beta. It can be fun, but there isn't much in the way of uniqueness and customization. The massive passive skill tree gives you the illusion of customization, but in reality it's a lot like Diablo 2. If you don't make your character a certain way, you won't be able to succeed in the late game.

If you don't put enough points into raw stat passives, you will be unable to use/upgrade your skill gems. You have to find skill gems in order to have extra spells. You can get a few from quests, but these don't change based on the game difficulty setting, so you end up having to pick from the same gems.

As far as the gore goes.. Blizzard has said that there is actually a lot of it in the full game. The beta and public images/videos don't display it, because they would have to display an age disclaimer.

D3's repleyability >>>>>>> PoE's. Don't get to me start about PoE's graphic that look like plastic.

Deleted
    Path of Exile of course, the talent system gives something that D3 will never give a choice of power.

Deleted
    It all depends on whether one wants to play Diablo, a game some of us played already back in 1997, or whether one wants to play yet another Diablo clone, one that tries so hard to look exactly like Diablo.

If you like this clone better, or if you consider 50 bucks to be "money", then play the free one.

Mind you, I've played a lot of clones (Dungeon Siege, Sacred, Titan Quest, Torchlight, Hellgate, etc, and all of their expansions and iterations), but I for one will obviously without a doubt play Diablo. I fell in love with it 15-16 years ago, so there's no contest.

I'll skip all the other claims you made, but this one boggles the mind...

Quote Originally Posted by Dogbones View Post
    It has more people online playing it
    Are you comparing the numbers of people in the respective betas? How exactly does that mean anything or make any difference?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daraiki View Post
    Path of Exile of course, the talent system gives something that D3 will never give a choice of power.
    You mean cookiecutter builds? Because that's what is happening right now in PoE. PoE is decent, just gets boring very quickly, and it's too much of a Diablo clone to my liking.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cairhiin View Post
    You mean cookiecutter builds? Because that's what is happening right now in PoE. PoE is decent, just gets boring very quickly, and it's too much of a Diablo clone to my liking.
    Better to have choices that suck than no other choices at all, in D3 you can choose the color or animations of your spell but guess what it's the exact same spells as everyone else, why use the rune system then? It offers an illusion of choice that only the new kids will appreciate....

Deleted
    Path of Exile is free and there's still 5 weeks to go before D3 release, why does it have to be one or the other? Play both!

Personally, without wanting to insult the game, I thought PoE was great to tide you over but no replacement for the real thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daraiki View Post
    Better to have choices that suck than no other choices at all, in D3 you can choose the color or animations of your spell but guess what it's the exact same spells as everyone else, why use the rune system then? It offers an illusion of choice that only the new kids will appreciate....
    You have no choice in Path of Exile, you have the illusion of choice.

You do have build choices in Diablo 3. New kids eh? I started playing Diablo in 1997. I am well over 30 years old. I think you are clearly mistaken but to each their own.
    Last edited by Cairhiin; 2012-04-09 at 02:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cairhiin View Post
    Don't have to follow a cookiecutter build. The vulgar perception of what such builds provide is totally ignorant.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Don't have to follow a cookiecutter build. The vulgar perception of what such builds provide is totally ignorant.
    You don't have to but by that same argument you didn't really have to in Diablo 2 either. It's just that every min/maxer does. It was the same in Diablo II. How many Hammerdins did you see with the same spec in Diablo?

Diablo 2 has no relevance to my statement.

So called cookiecutter builds are player driven phenomenons. If one wants to min/max, that is up to that player. Complains about lack of choice is illogical when a player removes options themselves.